Arch Linux on Wootbook Ultra X16 (2023)

It's been a few months and I finally made the purchase. Well kind of...

I bought the WootBook Ultra Y16, which seems to be pretty much the same thing as the X16, just with a Intel 14900HX instead of the 13900HX. There might be other "small" differences, like the Y16 apparently supporting power delivery over Thunderbolt (according to the specs on Wootware).

Unfortunately stock is only arriving around mid February. I'll update this thread with any issues once I have it and Arch is installed; hopefully there are none.

For interest sake I opted for:
CPU: Intel i9 14900HX (currently the only option)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 (currently the only option)
RAM: 2 x 32GB Mushkin Redline DDR5-4800MHz CL40
Disk: 2 x 1TB Samsung 990 Pro (one for Windows, one for Arch)

I bought the WootBook Ultra Y16, which seems to be pretty much the same thing as the X16, just with a Intel 14900HX instead of the 13900HX. There might be other "small" differences, like the Y16 apparently supporting power delivery over Thunderbolt (according to the specs on Wootware).

Unfortunately stock is only arriving around mid February. I'll update this thread with any issues once I have it and Arch is installed; hopefully there are none.

That’s a beast, I wonder if they’ll eventually start speccing them with Oled displays?

Did you install Arch yet? How's things working out. I would think that AMD CPU/GPU will have better support, than the Intel and Nvidia combo. Curious...

Y16 apparently supporting power delivery over Thunderbolt (according to the specs on Wootware).
It annoys me how the x16 doesn't support that. It would be such a win with a big powerbank. But it is what it is.

It annoys me how the x16 doesn't support that. It would be such a win with a big powerbank. But it is what it is.
True, but I don't think 100W (the limit of USB-C charging) is enough to sustain most day to day uses. So at best I believe it'll slow down the battery drain. It is very convenient for charging while off / on standby though.

I received the laptop today, and so far:
- Arch installed
- Wifi works
- LAN works
- Bluetooth works
- Audio works (internal, haven't tested jacks)
- Display and external display via HDMI works (struggling to get Wayland to work, but this is normal for Nvidia graphics cards. Currently running X11, and it also seems to use Intel GPU. Will investigate when I have time).
- Keyboard and Fn keys works.

Running Gnome by the way.

Had very little time, but so far it seems that the essentials all work well.

Will update with more details later (likely this weekend).

- Arch installed
- Wifi works
- LAN works
- Bluetooth works
- Display and external display via HDMI works (struggling to get Wayland to work, but this is normal for Nvidia graphics cards. Currently running X11, and it also seems to use Intel GPU. Will investigate when I have time).

Many thanks for being a part of the Arch Linux master race

Easy there, the heathen is running Gnome :sick:
Fait criticism, guess it's just a old habbit from the Ubuntu days. Serious question, what would you suggest as an alternative, maybe KDE?

Seems off topic, but isn't really. I've noticed that the graphics seems laggy and prone to tearing when using hybrid graphics. I suspect the iGPU frames are passed via the graphics card, since I believe the HDMI port is hard wired to the graphics card. The strange thing is, when I set MUX to iGPU only, external display doesn't work. If I set it to dGPU only, gnome crashes when I try to set either internal / external display's resolution, layout or refresh rate. I'm quite sure I'm doing something wrong, will investigate some more. But maybe another DE is my best bet...

Fait criticism, guess it's just a old habbit from the Ubuntu days. Serious question, what would you suggest as an alternative, maybe KDE?

Try a few and settle on the one that suits YOUR needs the best...

The following is also now confirmed working:
- Headphone jack
- Microphone
- Camera

I also got Wayland working (exactly how is off topic, but I'll expand if someone wants me to). From brief playing around it seems much less "laggy" / prone to tearing than X11.

So far I can recommend this laptop as a Linux daily driver. Will update original post with final details and verdict this weekend.

Seems off topic, but isn't really. I've noticed that the graphics seems laggy and prone to tearing when using hybrid graphics. I suspect the iGPU frames are passed via the graphics card, since I believe the HDMI port is hard wired to the graphics card. The strange thing is, when I set MUX to iGPU only, external display doesn't work. If I set it to dGPU only, gnome crashes when I try to set either internal / external display's resolution, layout or refresh rate. I'm quite sure I'm doing something wrong, will investigate some more. But maybe another DE is my best bet...

Just joking, run whatever you like. I'm more of a openbox xfce type person.

- Arch installed
- Wifi works
- LAN works
- Bluetooth works

Just a word of warning. If you didn't buy the warranty extension but planned to later, you have to buy it 30 days after date of purchase.

I wanted to defer the cost and assumed one could buy it any time while it's under warranty.

I recently discovered I was a good 11ish months too late.

Just a word of warning. If you didn't buy the warranty extension but planned to later, you have to buy it 30 days after date of purchase.

I wanted to defer the cost and assumed one could buy it any time while it's under warranty.

I recently discovered I was a good 11ish months too late.
I did take it with the original purchase. Thanks for the heads-up!

Back