Shakeel786

Hi Guys,

I need your opinion on the below, i have posted on gumtree that im looking for a domestic architect to deal with some renovations at home, these are making my double garage double story and removing the garages it will be a granny flat to be rented.

I get contact by a guy (registered company), he states its a piece of cake he does it all the time the plan will get done in 30 days, "its a small thing i deal with bigger plans" (i remember him say he just done one and it was done in 3 weeks), once i paid this guy a deposit, his entire attitude changed, i ever since i have been waiting for my plan for 1 year now, paid him for 2 site visits, 50% deposit, he doesn't take my calls he doesnt follow up, and he keeps making excuses that my plan keeps getting rejected by the municipality? i thought you do your site visit get a hold of the plans chat with the customer, make relevant changes, then submit, the whatever the municipality rejects you rectify, submit for the second time and we good? But this guy has been submitting and rejecting over and over, he keep asking for more money, today i get this email from him:

Please not I only managed to get through to council office yesterday after submitting my POP. request on 11th FEB. They still awaiting their manager to sign and release the certificate and info needed to me. - so I am awaiting.

However I did try to get verbal info of some guidance so we could start to comply to what they want.

Will be checking and changing if need be

1) an add fire escape plan - unless our stair design is sufficient

2) further height restrictions

3) all toilets , even your existing OB to sans regulations - also REDRAW THE WHOLE SITE EXITING MAIN HOUSE WITH ADD to the desire plan

--------------------------------------

My point is he had 12 months to sort all this out, now his still doing checkups?
point 3 looks like he now wants to redraw and get more money?

Please advise from some senior Architects,plan drawers?

Not sure what to do, its a simple domestic plan??

I have all of his details and his address on the invoice, pictures of him, and whatsapp chats, and phone voice calls recorded.

Thanks
S

saturnz

Honorary Master
I can't get past the fact you posted an ad on gumtree looking for an architect.

I doubt many credible architects are looking for odd jobs on gumtree.

Rather try to find a new architect, this time don't use gumtree. I had a perimeter fence installed around my property a few years ago, the plan did not take long, I used the contractor's architect, and the contractor was reliable in terms of work he had already done to my property.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Probably not a Architect, but a draftsman. As much as I hate SACAP. Check with SACAP if he is registered. If he is, report him.

SAguy

Expert Member
Took me 18 months and two separate architects to get my plans approved in CPT, needed to go about 20cm over the building line.

Horrible advise I was given by a lot of people is to just build first, and pay the penalty afterwards - it's cheaper and quicker, assuming you don't do anything too crazy.

City used satelite images and they scrutinised the shït out of the images, they wanted photographic evidence that a piece of shadecloth 2 x 3m over a veggie garden was not a permanent structure.

I also then found out that the two shadecloth carports weren't on the plans when I bought the house (existed before the previous owners as well)... Cost me about R8k to have plans drawn and have application for penalty waiver fees paid.

Good luck.. there's a reason why an architect literally pitched a tent at the Cape Town planning office.

pb41

Find out if he is registered and in good standing with The South African Council for the Architectural Profession (SACAP). If he is, lodge a formal complaint against him. He is obliged to act professionally and in terms of a strict code of behaviour and ethics. If he is not registered, still report him to SACAP. It is a criminal offence to perform architectural work if not properly registered. They will open the criminal case against him on your behalf. I believe SACAP works closely with SAPS to apprehend and prosecute so-called “rogue architects”.

Last edited:

Wasabee!

Expert Member
I can't get past the fact you posted an ad on gumtree looking for an architect.

I doubt many credible architects are looking for odd jobs on gumtree.

Rather try to find a new architect, this time don't use gumtree. I had a perimeter fence installed around my property a few years ago, the plan did not take long, I used the contractor's architect, and the contractor was reliable in terms of work he had already done to my property.
This, and OPs grammar is also probably a reason of the misunderstanding.

RedViking

Nord of the South
The problem is that the draftsman don't always communicate properly and the clients don't always listen properly.

Assuming this is not a chance taker.

1.There is no such thing as just a simple plan. Specially if it is an addition.

2. An addition is not less work. In fact it is more work to redraw and alter an addition than doing a house from scratch.

3. Use someone that knows the rules and bylaws of the city. If it is a good draftsman or architect, don't tell them what to do or argue you know better because your uncle said this and that....

It does look like OP just went with the first person who claimed he is an architect or draftsman. I would report him and then write it off as school fees and get a professional company or recommended person to do it.

Now.

First thing you do is to get the rules for the site from the council, or if you use a professional draftsman or architect they will do this as they know how to apply it.

Making a garage a living area changes the function of the room and most probably coverage for the site. Some areas the garage, limited to a specific size, is not included in the site coverage. Some areas allow you to build a garage right onto the boundary as long as it is not a living area but used as a garage only.

Moving from a single storey, to a double story is also site and area specific. Some sites are only allowed single stores, others double storeys depending on the height and distance from boundary. Some areas have rules for heights and the effect it will have on the neighbours view. Does the second story block sunlight to the neighbours property etc.

Energy and fire. All new homes and additions needs to comply with the fenestration and energy rules. All homes and additions need to comply with the fire rules.

Some sites have limits on plumbing and sewer. Will the additions effect that. How will the additions effect the existing plumbing. How will it conned to the existing plumbing.

These are so much more to be considered and the reason you need to use someone professional from the beginning or it can become a very drawn out process.

airborne

Executive Member
Took me 18 months and two separate architects to get my plans approved in CPT, needed to go about 20cm over the building line.

Horrible advise I was given by a lot of people is to just build first, and pay the penalty afterwards - it's cheaper and quicker, assuming you don't do anything too crazy.

City used satelite images and they scrutinised the shït out of the images, they wanted photographic evidence that a piece of shadecloth 2 x 3m over a veggie garden was not a permanent structure.

I also then found out that the two shadecloth carports weren't on the plans when I bought the house (existed before the previous owners as well)... Cost me about R8k to have plans drawn and have application for penalty waiver fees paid.

Good luck.. there's a reason why an architect literally pitched a tent at the Cape Town planning office.
I've been told that in CT if it's a full building renovation under deadline you have to build first and submit plans later. No one has 8-12 months to leave a property empty and idle waiting for building approval, doing that would be a good few hundred thousand down the drain, pointless.

Op has the architect supplied drawings of what he has submitted this far?

SAguy

Expert Member
I've been told that in CT if it's a full building renovation under deadline you have to build first and submit plans later. No one has 8-12 months to leave a property empty and idle waiting for building approval, doing that would be a good few hundred thousand down the drain, pointless.

Op has the architect supplied drawings of what he has submitted this far?
It's crazy how long it takes for plan approvals... the lady in charge of the planning office was on CapeTalk not too long ago saying they are efficient and that customers should do things the right way... sure

The body that does plan approvals for deviations from building lines only meets once a month, and it takes 2 - 3 months to get onto the agenda. If it's not approved first time then you need to go through the process again... and again.

Shakeel786

Thanks that sounds like a long wait i already invested 16K and its not the final cost!!

Shakeel786

The problem is that the draftsman don't always communicate properly and the clients don't always listen properly.

Assuming this is not a chance taker.

1.There is no such thing as just a simple plan. Specially if it is an addition.

2. An addition is not less work. In fact it is more work to redraw and alter an addition than doing a house from scratch.

3. Use someone that knows the rules and bylaws of the city. If it is a good draftsman or architect, don't tell them what to do or argue you know better because your uncle said this and that....

It does look like OP just went with the first person who claimed he is an architect or draftsman. I would report him and then write it off as school fees and get a professional company or recommended person to do it.

Now.

First thing you do is to get the rules for the site from the council, or if you use a professional draftsman or architect they will do this as they know how to apply it.

Making a garage a living area changes the function of the room and most probably coverage for the site. Some areas the garage, limited to a specific size, is not included in the site coverage. Some areas allow you to build a garage right onto the boundary as long as it is not a living area but used as a garage only.

Moving from a single storey, to a double story is also site and area specific. Some sites are only allowed single stores, others double storeys depending on the height and distance from boundary. Some areas have rules for heights and the effect it will have on the neighbours view. Does the second story block sunlight to the neighbours property etc.

Energy and fire. All new homes and additions needs to comply with the fenestration and energy rules. All homes and additions need to comply with the fire rules.

Some sites have limits on plumbing and sewer. Will the additions effect that. How will the additions effect the existing plumbing. How will it conned to the existing plumbing.

These are so much more to be considered and the reason you need to use someone professional from the beginning or it can become a very drawn out process.
I am aware of all of this my pint is, if this was the case why did he come do his site check and say it will be done in 1-3 months max?

Then pull me for an additional 10 months?

Whats the purpose of the initial meetings and agreement, im sure they cannot be any hidden cost he has made me pay for stuff that was not agreed for on the initial meeting.

saul berenson

he states its a piece of cake he does it all the time the plan will get done in 30 days, "its a small thing i deal with bigger plans" (i remember him say he just done one and it was done in 3 weeks),
Lol, 3 weeks is imposible. In Ct is takes min 6months if you lucky, on average it takes about 10 months.

Will be checking and changing if need be

1) an add fire escape plan - unless our stair design is sufficient

2) further height restrictions

3) all toilets , even your existing OB to sans regulations - also REDRAW THE WHOLE SITE EXITING MAIN HOUSE WITH ADD to the desire plan
Did you sign a standard architectural agrement with him.? He should have dicussed the fire plan, height restrictions etc, before submitting.

If you PM me your case ID i check it out for you. ps i wont charge ;-)

RedViking

Nord of the South
I am aware of all of this my pint is, if this was the case why did he come do his site check and say it will be done in 1-3 months max?

Then pull me for an additional 10 months?

Whats the purpose of the initial meetings and agreement, im sure they cannot be any hidden cost he has made me pay for stuff that was not agreed for on the initial meeting.
It is possible that he under estimated the time it takes and didn't properly research or query the restrictions and what is required.