Are AirBnB honest, or do they hide behind loopholes?

chrisc

Executive Member
In September booked and paid R6000 for 8 nights in AirBnB house in Tokyo, Japan for April. Reason - ship is no longer going to Japan

Went to cancel and found there is 0% refund

However, AirBnB's website says you can claim for "extenuating circumstances" and cite Coronavirus as a reason. Filled in form and received a long letter declining the claim

Reason given is:

Extenuating circumstances due to the 2019-nCoV virus allows us to refund a customer where the origin of the trip or travel through in a country is known to be affected by verified cases of 2019-nCoV as specified by the World Health Organisation (WHO)

These are:
Australia
Canada
People’s Republic of China
France
Germany
Japan
New Zealand
Singapore
South Korea
Thailand
United Kingdom
United States

Since South Africa is not a listed country affected by CoV19, we cannot entertain your request for a refund at this point in time

chrisc

Executive Member
Yes, the ship is not going to Japan
I thought I would book a flight, but my daughter, who is a medical professional, said it would be foolish in the extreme

370z

Rediculous, why on earth would the origin of the trip matter? I would push back

Sepeng

Expert Member
That reads like they simply didn't check where you were going and declined on the basis of where you're booking from, which is very sloppy.
You going to follow up and state that your stay was in Japan?

Milano

Honorary Master
Agreed sloppy. The reason they declined you is the exact reason why you qualify for a refund "..where the origin of the trip or travel through in a country.."

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
Yes, the ship is not going to Japan
I thought I would book a flight, but my daughter, who is a medical professional, said it would be foolish in the extreme
I hope she meant travelling at all would be foolish, and not that flying rather than cruising would be foolish.

Because flying is absolutely the safer option here. There are several factors, in my view:
- Departure/Arrival: Airport vs Ship port - same same
- Duration: Several days on a ship, vs 14-ish hours on a flight
- Air supply. Who knows on a ship. Air might be recirculated to keep energy use low. Who knows when last they cleaned out the ducts and what might grow in there. On an aircraft air is taken from bleed and circulated out immediately, i.e. there's almost no chance of breathing in air that someone in the next cabin breathed out.
- Proximity. On the ship you may pass who knows how many people during the cruise, touch door handles etc that others have, etc. On a plane it really is limited. You're stuck between your seat mates, and at worst you'll pass all the people in isle seats if you go to the loo.

And let's not forget that ships are frequently quarantined due to stomach bugs run wild. There's no way on earth I'm getting on a cruise ship right now.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Air BnB is a faceless company, just like Uber. This is how they became wealthier than the world's top hotels - no accountability. "We don't own property... We're just the portal..."
Good luck. I used them once and had one bad experience. Never again.

chrisc

Executive Member
AirBnB are trotting out the excuses now...

1 - The credit card you used to book does not exist
2 - We need documentary proof that the trip has been cancelled
3 - We need proof that your your tour company has reimbursed you in full
4 - Japan is not on our list of affected countries

My answers
1 - Quite right, I got a new one in January with a different number and have already given it to you
2 - Sent the advice from Imagine Cruising
3 - Sent a copy of the bank deposit
4 - Pointed out that on their web page "extenuating circumstances", Japan is listed as a country affected, and I added about 30 people are infected and one has since died

Next thing I receive a survey where they wanted to know how happy I was. I scored 0 or "bad" for everything

I have used AirBnB in Barcelona, Hermanus, Stanford, Toulouse and Macclesfield in the Peak District National Park and all was well. The house in Macclesfield did not have off-street parking as was advertised and I got a credit of £15 for that

Been on several cruises and on HAL before. The Gulf of Mexico ones are very cheap and its entertaining watching fat Americans maintaining themselves with 4 helpings of waffles and ice-cream for breakfast

Daruk

Honorary Master
AirBnB are trotting out the excuses now...

1 - The credit card you used to book does not exist
2 - We need documentary proof that the trip has been cancelled
3 - We need proof that your your tour company has reimbursed you in full
4 - Japan is not on our list of affected countries

My answers
1 - Quite right, I got a new one in January with a different number and have already given it to you
2 - Sent the advice from Imagine Cruising
3 - Sent a copy of the bank deposit
4 - Pointed out that on their web page "extenuating circumstances", Japan is listed as a country affected, and I added about 30 people are infected and one has since died

Next thing I receive a survey where they wanted to know how happy I was. I scored 0 or "bad" for everything

I have used AirBnB in Barcelona, Hermanus, Stanford, Toulouse and Macclesfield in the Peak District National Park and all was well. The house in Macclesfield did not have off-street parking as was advertised and I got a credit of £15 for that

Been on several cruises and on HAL before. The Gulf of Mexico ones are very cheap and its entertaining watching fat Americans maintaining themselves with 4 helpings of waffles and ice-cream for breakfast
American breakfasts :laugh:

chrisc

Executive Member
Forgot - lashings of corn-syrup over the ice-cream. One lady asked for a larger plate, so the waiter gave her a dinner plate. The staff do not care what you eat

Another asked me, while we were going through the Panama Canal, whether this was the Pacific, as she had heard it was quite large. Maybe the captain went the wrong way. I suggested she ask him

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Not sure what is so special about AirBnB.

Just did a booking via LekkeSlaap and then found the same place on AirBnB for significantly more :unsure:

LekkaSlaap

1582116166056.png

AirBnB

1582116252808.png

:cautious:

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Have you tried your credit card company?

Also, you might be better off trying to reach AirBnb via social platforms - if anything like Uber - their inapp/email support are all but brain dead.

Chingha

Expert Member
Cannot talk directly to this issue but on the whole I have found Abnb to have very good support. Scratch around on the app and find the call option, then talk to a human. They have sorted the couple of issues I have had very professionally.

I spend far too much time in them so my "sample size" is large.

Just read the reviews and don't book with ones without any.

Good luck OP