Are all tempered glass screen protectors equal? iPhone 6s

Way69

I don't use screen protectors anymore. It's been a long time since I've scratched a display with the modern glass technology. Only risk is shattering if I drop it on an uneven surface, where the case doesn't protect it. Thats why I have insurance.

prOd

Expert Member
I don't use screen protectors anymore. It's been a long time since I've scratched a display with the modern glass technology. Only risk is shattering if I drop it on an uneven surface, where the case doesn't protect it. Thats why I have insurance.

The 6s screen picks up scratches quite easy, definitely getting one for mine:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7242223

I can see 3 tiny ones on the top of my screen, and this after babying it since I received it...

Way69

Well that's irritating... My lumia took a massive amount of abuse and had no scratches :-(

MaximusZA

i got the optiguard tempered glass one from the istore which has a guarantee that if it ever falls off or gets damaged they will replace the screen protector for free. it fits well and seems to repel finger prints pretty well.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
i got the optiguard tempered glass one from the istore which has a guarantee that if it ever falls off or gets damaged they will replace the screen protector for free. it fits well and seems to repel finger prints pretty well.

Sounds good.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Well that's irritating... My lumia took a massive amount of abuse and had no scratches :-(

All depends on the person using it.

If you are going to drop it in pockets with your keys etc it will scratch eventually, no matter how amazing the screen.

If you treat it with a semblance of care it should be fine.

The Tempered glass is all about impact damage to me and absorbing the energy so the screen doesn't crack. Screen Protectors on the other hand are pointless.

prOd

Expert Member

It's probably not an issue to be honest, maybe just micro scratches in the top layer (not the actual screen). But sand particles etc. in your pocket could do some light damage - go watch the scratch test if you're unsure. That being said I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Way69

Well now under closer inspection, I realized that I have some micro scratches... Just ordered the moshi iVisor. It's pricey but with the takealot voucher I got from FNB and some ebucks don't really mind.

noxibox

Honorary Master
In spite of their supposed resistance to scratching it is quite easy to get tiny scratches in modern screens. It does not require carrying keys or anything similar in the same pocket.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
In spite of their supposed resistance to scratching it is quite easy to get tiny scratches in modern screens. It does not require carrying keys or anything similar in the same pocket.

Sand in your pocket.

phoneJunky

Executive Member

Ai, dropped mine an month or two back. My screen protector got a crack in, but my phone is fine. Just threw out my screen protector on Monday. Didn't know about the guarantee.

MaximusZA

Ai, dropped mine an month or two back. My screen protector got a crack in, but my phone is fine. Just threw out my screen protector on Monday. Didn't know about the guarantee.

yup, you just need to bring back the box the screen protector came in and they replace it no questions... yet to test it though

PostmanPot

Honorary Master

Wanted to get one but they only had the curved edge ones which is apparently a problem when using covers.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
The QDOS OptiGuard is "Under 0.4mm thick"... There are 0.2mm thick ones on the market. Bit worried.

Also, does 3D Touch work perfectly with it?

Any other options here for thinner good quality ones?

I'm very careful, don't need the impact absorbtion of tempered glass. Might just get a clear normal screen protector which might be thinner?

_paul_

yup, you just need to bring back the box the screen protector came in and they replace it no questions... yet to test it though

Correct sir, have done it already. No questions asked. Original packaging is not so important as they keep the new packaging, however you do require your proof of purchase, original slip/invoice

LizGroen

3D Touch works excellent with the Optiguard tempered glass protectors, I haven't tried any other brands - just don't be tempted to use a curved protector - they really do lift at the edges when using a cover.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
3D Touch works excellent with the Optiguard tempered glass protectors, I haven't tried any other brands - just don't be tempted to use a curved protector - they really do lift at the edges when using a cover.

Thanks.

Glad iStore gave me that advice as well.

herbertk

Expert Member
Haven't used one on my 5S or 6 Plus no issues so far....

EDIT : After reading the most I might get one though....