Are any smartphones network locked in South Africa?

waylander

Expert Member
Walk into any PEP shop selling phones, they will have cabinets selling devices from each network, but the devices are not carrier locked in any way, some just have junkware installed.

Thor

Honorary Master
If it is like incredible connection or game then it is merely contracted via Vodacon.

As I am also under the impression that there is no more network locked phones in SA.

Edit, that's not contract, so maybe just makro not applying QA when listing stuff to their site.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback.

I have also not seen any network locked phones since it was prohibited in South Africa, but the product description looked so strange that I had to make sure.

PhireSide

Executive Member
Not sure if a rumour or not but I have heard of the FNB Conexis devices only working on their network.

I recently sold a Lumia 1320 that I got with a Vodacom contract and an MTN SIM worked perfectly fine on it

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Locking is not illegal but it luckily didn't take off much in SA. I have a Vodacom Mobiwire something dumb phone, use my MTN sim in it, its got Vodacom branded background and stuff, but thats it.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Thanks for the feedback.

I have also not seen any network locked phones since it was prohibited in South Africa, but the product description looked so strange that I had to make sure.
@rpm
I present to you a mybb article showing that to lock or not was not finalised

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/smartphones/178714-why-it-is-legal-for-fnb-to-sim-lock-its-smartphones.html

Maybe mybb can investigate again. And confirm if that still applies...

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
It could be that devices obtained as part of a contract may be network locked as the device remains the property of the network throughout the initial period or until the contact is settled (in the case of early cancellation). This would seem to be "acceptable" that a network lock it's device while it still owns it. But it would a;so be acceptable if, once you have completed the contract, that the network then unlock the device for you.

For everything else there is NeedROM.

Sumen

Expert Member
I know there have been legislation changes in South Africa, and wonder if there are any phones which are network locked in South Africa.

I see this phone, for example, is advertised as "Vodacom Nokia 3" - https://www.makro.co.za/computing-and-mobile/vodacom-/br-nokia-3-black-341330EA

Does that mean it is through Vodacom on prepaid, or that it is network locked through Vodacom?
I think they lock the second sim on dual sim phones but I'll be more than happy to check for as I also got a phone through a vodacom contract from game.

Ngcobopr

bought a prepaid phone from MTN, it's network locked and it has dual SIM slots of which I find it strange to lock both SIM, how can I unlock it?