Are manual cars still a thing? Is there even a future for the old gear stick?

Crowley

Executive Member
That's ridiculous.

As long as the Freeway plan is active I don't have to worry about any repair bills. Everything except tyres and fuel is covered. Audi even refills the Adblue and oil on my car without me having to pay anything extra.

Buy a manual --- you change the clutch in your garage in an emergency
No thanks. I'd rather enjoy driving and pay the Freeway plan. In an emergency Audi assist fetches the car and takes me home / to a hotel and hires a car for me to use until my car is fixed at no additional cost to me.

6spdmanual

Expert Member
That's ridiculous.
Indeed.
As long as the Freeway plan is active I don't have to worry about any repair bills. Everything except tyres and fuel is covered. Audi even refills the Adblue and oil on my car without me having to pay anything extra.

No thanks. I'd rather enjoy driving and pay the Freeway plan. In an emergency Audi assist fetches the car and takes me home / to a hotel and hires a car for me to use until my car is fixed at no additional cost to me.
Have you claimed from this Freeway Plan before?

Crowley

Executive Member
Indeed.

Have you claimed from this Freeway Plan before?
I've had the follwoing work done under the Freeway Plan.

Break pads (front and rear) (R10 648)
Oil change service (R2 093.03)
Adblue x 3 (1574.45)
Battery replacement and coding (R5842.35)
Coolant shut off valve and dampener replacement (R 15 303.92)

Just after the first lockdown the coolant shut off valve was done and there were parts that had to be sent from Germany so I had the rental A3 for 5 weeks as well.

I know Audi charges excessive fees for the parts and labour but as a personal preference I'd rather have my car worked on by a Audi certified mechanic than by Koos down the road.

Varktjop

Expert Member

Adblue x 3 (1574.45)

Just after the first lockdown the coolant shut off valve was done and there were parts that had to be sent from Germany so I had the rental A3 for 5 weeks as well.

I know Audi charges excessive fees for the parts and labour but as a personal preference I'd rather have my car worked on by a Audi certified mechanic than by Koos down the road.
Geez.. with prices like that, I'd rather never buy Audi.

handyman007

Adblue x 3 (1574.45)

How old is this car?

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
It is a 2015 A7. I'm sure the A3/4 would have been a lot cheaper though.

Geez.. with prices like that, I'd rather never buy Audi.

Wife's 2015 1.6 dci Qashqai had a R5000 oil service at Nissan. It was the standard oil, some filters and stuff. I declined the wiper replacement.
It did include a Road Refresh (or something), where they run the car at a constant speed to refresh the DPF, but didn't see any charges for that on the invoice.

Compared to my 3L BMW 135i R2200 oil service, which replaced the same things.

All cars are expensive when serviced at dealers.

Edit:
Wifes previous car, Hyundai Atos - R2300 for an oil service and some or other "check" at the dealer. I think it had a 1.0L engine ?

Last edited:

Ecko_1

After 5 manual cars and 11 years of only driving manual I am moving over to auto (CVT actually). I held out as long as I could. Auto just make sense in a daily.

I am looking out for a project car which will have a manual box though.

Claymore

Executive Member
Buy a manual --- you change the clutch in your garage in an emergency
Hah! I suspect that's not a driveway job for newer cars. My old Mondeo, for example, needs the front subframe dropped to change the clutch. To put the difficulty of this into perspective, Haynes reckons that for the amateur mechanic, pulling the engine and gearbox out is easier.