Are new TV sets capable of receiving SABC signals?

abruton

I wanted to buy a new TV screen, and Game wanted me to have a TV license. I told them we do not watch TV and as far as I can see the TV screen is unable to view the SABC television signal. I would need a decoder (classified as a television receiving equipment) to see the SABC television signal.

Am I right? Can I take Game to task for trying to force me to get a TV license for a device that can not receive a television signal?

Can the new television sets be called TV's?

I agree that they could ask people to have a license to buy/receive free the new set top boxes, but not the TV.

Any legal comment?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
What makes you think that new tv sets aren't capable of receiving SABC signals? :confused:

If it has a tuner then you need a license.

WAslayer

Expert Member
How did you confirm the TV screen cannot receive a TV signal..? If a TV has a tuner, you will need a TV licence which is what the SABC has confirmed at some stage for which I can't find the reference now..

That being said, if the TV you were wanting to buy does not have a tuner, most sales reps at stores are potentially not going to care about that fact because they have been told that to sell a TV the customer must produce a TV licence..

abruton

There is no input to plug in the old analogue TV signal as far as I can see, so no, I'm unable to view SABC.

Arthur

Honorary Master
There is no input to plug in the old analogue TV signal as far as I can see, so no, I'm unable to view SABC.
It's not about being able to view SABC. As others have pointed out, it's simply whether the device has an RF tuner capable of receiving UHF and/or VHF tv signals. If it does, the local law says it needs a licence. Doesn't matter whether it has a screen or not.

genetic

Honorary Master
I wanted to buy a new TV screen, and Game wanted me to have a TV license. I told them we do not watch TV and as far as I can see the TV screen is unable to view the SABC television signal. I would need a decoder (classified as a television receiving equipment) to see the SABC television signal.

Am I right? Can I take Game to task for trying to force me to get a TV license for a device that can not receive a television signal?

I agree that they could ask people to have a license to buy/receive free the new set top boxes, but not the TV.

Any legal comment?
You are horribly wrong

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master

Any legal comment?
You can still watch with a R30 bunny aerial.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Then it's not a TV, it's a monitor. I'm pretty sure that if was in the TV section at game, it's going to have an rf input.