Are the KFC 'Built large for the man in charge' ads misogynistic?

Knyro

Honorary Master
/google-fu

[video=youtube;T66mh1xNZGs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T66mh1xNZGs[/video]

You've got to be kidding me. How the hell is that misogynistic? The ad is obviously tongue-in-cheek.

Last edited:

Zewp

Banned
Yeah, I don't get it. That advertisement gives the vibe that this is targeted at men and not women, but it's not misogynistic nor is it sexist.

What it is is a complete lie, though. There's no way you're going to look like that or be able to do that kind of work if you regularly eat KFC.

Don't make a mistake, I'm an avid supporter of equal rights for females and I regularly speak out when I feel women are being discriminated against or they're being denied equal rights based on their sex, but this is not one of those cases. This is an advert targeted at men. Nothing misogynistic about it except what feminazis are reading into it. It's pretty tiresome how some people go out of their way to turn everything into sexist/racist rows.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Yeah, that saying nowhere implies that all men should be in charge or that women are not qualified to be in charge. Or that they are inferior in any way.

It also doesnt specify what the man is in charge of - is he in charge of the office? Or the home?

If they marketed the product to women with a saying like, "Built sexy for the divine goddess", is that offensive to men because men do not get to be gods? No, it is not saying anything about another gender.

I hate people who like being offended by things - you will find plenty to offend you if you look for it.

EDIT: Also you know this guy is lame, pathetic and full of fake guilt because he blames all men. I didnt write this advert, neither did Zewp or Alan or kobustheduck. What does this have to do with men? If he had asked WTF is up with KFC marketing I might have an smidgen of an ounce of understanding for his position. But his outburst makes it look like he did it because he thought people would like him for it. For "standing up for women".

Last edited:

Captain Beer

Executive Member
Go read the rest of his tweets. One of the biggest douche nozzles I've ever encountered. The type of guy who loves smelling his own farts.

Last edited:

Zewp

Banned
Go read the rest of his tweets. One of the biggest douche nozzles I've ever encountered. The type of guy who loves smelling his own farts.
I thought everyone loved smelling their own farts? Just me? :erm:

Okay, I'll go stand in the corner then.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Yeah that's not misogynistic at all.

It relies on stereotypes about macho men to try and sell food, but you can't call it misogynistic/.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Some of the comments on twitter are awesome, especially [highlight]by kobustheduck.[/highlight]

Somebody needs to tell Tom Eaton that his male guilt is not going to get him any chics.
Deleted?

@antowan, is Anne Hirsch going to have something to say about this tomTom and manginas on her show? BTW, are real advertisers too scared to sponsor her show? (I do like her made up adverts, just wondering if there is a reason other than fun)

Zewp

Banned
He's got a point about that. While the adverts were pretty harmless, the name calling on the forum was completely unnecessary.
Yeah, I don't get why we always need to start calling people names when we don't agree with them. It comes across and petty and spiteful. Kudos to those of us who managed to discuss it without resorting to namecalling.

TJ99

Honorary Master
Yeah, I don't get why we always need to start calling people names when we don't agree with them. It comes across and petty and spiteful. Kudos to those of us who managed to discuss it without resorting to namecalling.
You don't call people things when you don't agree with them, you call people names when they act like the thing that the name describes.

For example, your post, and the twatter screenshot are examples of something we call "tone trolling." It's a type of ad hominem often employed by so-called "feminists" to try and act superior to others without actually addressing their arguments, because "OMG U USED BAD WURDZ". It works pretty well if your target audience are immature, emotional children but not so much if they see through it.

Zewp

Banned
Or you could realise that maybe if everyone here wasn't so busy slagging the guy off like this is a 4th grade schoolyard fight, he might have registered and discussed it with us. Nobody is going to want to engage with a group of people whose best response is "he's a mangina", because the chances of having a decent discussion with such people is close to nil.

You'll notice up in this thread I managed to disagree with this guy's tweet without resorting to ad hominem attacks and petty name calling, as did Pooky and Ancalagon.

Last edited: