Are you being charged for missed calls?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Just got this from a friend by e-mail...

We are being charged for missed calls and the subscriber not being available!!!

I just got off the phone to my cellphone subscriber and I am livid.
I was querying a charge to my account (OK, hands up those who check their cellphone accounts ).
It seemed to me that I was being charged for missed calls (OK, hands up those who actually query what we get charged for ).

To prove the point, I made 11 consecutive missed calls to my husband’s phone which was right there next to me.
And yes, I have three witnesses to this.
I let it ring two or three times – way before it would go onto voicemail.
This was so that I could pick it up on my account.
And there they were… 77c + VAT = 88c each.
This might not seem much, but you go count how many times it happens to you and then think how many millions of people are doing this!

Back to the lady at the call centre.
After giving the following actual excuses:
“ I have never seen this happen before…” – Well, it happened to me now.
“The person must have picked up…” - I assure he didn’t. He was sitting right next to me and the phone was right there between us.
“It must have gone onto voice mail…” – No, I only let it ring two or three times.
Repeat this a few times and then she came out with it:

Have you ever phoned someone and noticed that it says “Call Divert” on the screen?
She explained it like this:
BEFORE IT EVEN RINGS ON THE OTHER SIDE, the call is diverted to the same number just as if it was a landline or any other number.
She checked this by dialling from her side and confirmed that my husband’s number is one of those with the “divert call” activated.

And we are getting charged for it!

This is not a service we ask for, but is pre-loaded!

BUT there is hope. You can cancel all the diverts on your phone by dialling ##002# and then press your Dial button. It requests and then cancels it.

My grievance is:
Why are we being charged for “missed calls” or the “subscriber being unavailable” anyway?
And who gave them the right to load it on my account?
– it is not mentioned in the contract, nor the terms and conditions!
I believe stealing from people in this way is a criminal offence!

Point:
I am not sure if this is isolated to contracts on Nashua Mobile or the MTN network, but we all call numbers of people that subscribed to them.
Can anybody else confirm this? How does this divert thing work anyway?

JK8

Banned
Not true.
You only charged for the connection, voicemail is a connection, if a call is diverted to another number there is also a connection.
By canceling all diverts you wont have access to your voicemail.
But I highly doubt the GSM network is at fault here...

Budza

Executive Member
@Gary: Did this happen to the friend, or is this another anonymous "friend of a friend" email?

MyDummyName

@Gary: Did this happen to the friend, or is this another anonymous "friend of a friend" email?
sounds like a hoax chain mail... i check my bills often enough.. not every month but now and again i do go thru them, i never found any problems like this.

mbvdl

I did the same test a few weeks ago. Had no charges.
I hate the way some people use email...

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
No, it's from a lady in our church. She is pretty adamant about it. Says she sat there while the phone rang, nobody touched it. Then they checked for the charges and the call had been charged even though it never connected. It is as she stated in the e-mail. I can give you her e-mail address.

CathJ

Expert Member
I've had this happen to me, in fact I posted about it quite a while ago. Mine was from my landline to a cell number, though.

The basic thing is that as soon as a call crosses to another network, you're charged for the call. Doesn't matter if it doesn't go to voicemail, or no-one answers. In fact, I suspect you'll be charged even if it's engaged. As soon as the other network picks up the call, you're charged.

I should have an email from Telkom confirming this, if anyone doubts it.

coatedpill

She must report it immediately to the responsible party so that immediate action should properly taken.

phoebe1985

She must report it immediately to the responsible party so that immediate action should properly taken.
She must consider the fact in the first place. Reporting it would lessen the threat she feels regarding the situation ;)