Are you being misled by the fine print of your uncapped data service?

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Are you being misled by the fine print of your uncapped data service?

There are a multitude of ways for consumers to get connected to the internet these days, each offering a variety of benefits to the people who use them. Fibre to the home (FTTH), broadband connections, and mobile data routers are becoming commonplace features of most middle class homes as online content streaming becomes the entertainment of choice. Many people are opting for uncapped services in anticipation of unlimited use at high speeds but quickly become disillusioned with their service when the limitations included in the fine print kick in. So, what is in the fine print, and what does it mean for your service?

Thor

Honorary Master
They should step up and rule that "uncapped and unlimited broadband" cannot be used.

It's deceiving to the general public who is not informed - I mean fck man why should the fine print even be necessary, It's because you are LYING in your headline - UNCAPPED and thus need extensive fine print to justify the lie.

It's a scum practice and if asasa had any balls it would rule on it.

access

Honorary Master
They should step up and rule that "uncapped and unlimited broadband" cannot be used.

It's deceiving to the general public who is not informed - I mean fck man why should the fine print even be necessary, It's because you are LYING in your headline - UNCAPPED and thus need extensive fine print to justify the lie.

It's a scum practice and if asasa had any balls it would rule on it.
exactly.

people want X so you advertise X and they buy X, but then give them Y and tell them it said so in the fine print.

that is intentionally misleading. no other way about it.

waylander

Expert Member
I wish ISPs went back to high prices for a realistic product instead of this race to the cheapest price for the biggest market share. Even some of those providers who were founded by quality and transparency are nothing more than subpar now.

waylander

Expert Member
exactly.

people want X so you advertise X and they buy X, but then give them Y and tell them it said so in the fine print.

that is intentionally misleading. no other way about it.
Its more of people wanting X, not wanting to pay for X, being sold Y, buying Y and bitching that X!=Y

If you want uncapped, unlimited, unmetered internet then you are fully required to pay for it.

access

Honorary Master
Its more of people wanting X, not wanting to pay for X, being sold Y, buying Y and bitching that X!=Y

If you want uncapped, unlimited, unmetered internet then you are fully required to pay for it.

oh right...,

so you suggest a home user who wants uncapped(for reasons you do not need to know!) must now take a business grade deal with SLA's and redundancies and other business grade stuff.

no

i want uncapped, that says uncapped, i buy uncapped. "HAHA only kidding! its not really uncapped"

i want a home product, no 99.98% SLA, no redundancies, no network status updates via sms/email, no dedicated support, no VAT registration.

they advertise it as home uncapped, wtf must i think? oh wait fine print! this is the point, just put the real product in the advert or product description.

edit:

strangly i only have this problem with home products. details are kept secret.

business class products are advertised as is and you get what you pay for. details explained.

point that im making is, they are deliberately misleading the home user. when they are caught they point to fine print / AUP / FUP / "get a business product hurrdurr"

Last edited:

waylander

Expert Member
You extrapolated that from my post? Alright.

Uncapped means the product does not have a cap. If you expect uncapped to mean unmetered then thats your problem. Im more than happy to pay for a consumer grade, unmetered option at the realistic price. You're confusing business grade, high availability connections with consumer grade connections that are not gimped.

Home uncapped >> No cap.

If you think Home uncapped >> UNLIMITED SPEEEEEEEED, then you're just wrong. The real product is being advertised, no faceless entity is conspiring against the South African population to mislead us.

If I advertise "Good computer for general use, R1000" and you grab it expecting to play 4k AAA titles on it, the problem isn't the computer or the seller, its your expectations.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

Uncapped means the product does not have a cap. If you expect uncapped to mean unmetered then thats your problem. Im more than happy to pay for a consumer grade, unmetered option at the realistic price. You're confusing business grade, high availability connections with consumer grade connections that are not gimped.

Home uncapped >> No cap.

If you think Home uncapped >> UNLIMITED SPEEEEEEEED, then you're just wrong. The real product is being advertised, no faceless entity is conspiring against the South African population to mislead us.

If I advertise "Good computer for general use, R1000" and you grab it expecting to play 4k AAA titles on it, the problem isn't the computer or the seller, its your expectations.
That's not how the product is marketed, if it says uncapped, then you expect no cap. Definition of uncapped: "remove a limit or restriction on (a price, rate, or amount)." Therefore the product should not be capped/shaped/throttled.

If you said "Good computer that can do anything, R1000" and then it can't play the AAA titles on it, it's false advertising.

waylander

Expert Member
That's not how the product is marketed, if it says uncapped, then you expect no cap. Definition of uncapped: "remove a limit or restriction on (a price, rate, or amount)." Therefore the product should not be capped/shaped/throttled.

If you said "Good computer that can do anything, R1000" and then it can't play the AAA titles on it, it's false advertising.
If its advertised as uncapped, you expect no cap. Yes, the account does not have a cap on it and you are free to use as much as you would like. Nowhere does any product state it is unlimited or unmetered, all have absolute acceptable use policies and I agree with them. Its all about managing your expectations and feel free to disagree, but its up to the consumer to know what they are buying and vote with their wallet should they feel that they are not getting what they pay for. It as ALWAYS been this way, consumers need to be smart, or they will be taken advantage of, which is why regulatory bodies are formed to ensure no one gets screwed.

Keeping in mind what I said above, do you think that its up to the provider or regulator to ensure consumer expectations are kept?

access

Honorary Master

Home uncapped >> No cap.

my extrapolation comes from your "then you are fully required to pay for it"

BTW, to meter something is to measure it, its to observe. not apply anything.

'metered' / 'measured' / limited / throttled / restricted / threshold / "insert synonym"

2 types of caps

hard cap - internet service stops

soft cap - internet service is limited to below your full speed.

waylander

Expert Member
Semantics, unmetered would mean the product truly has no limit in any shape or form as the usage is not logged. In any case you seem to not understand the basics of advertising. Agree or disagree, you, the individual needs to be smart about your choices. If you don't like the way something is, use another provider.

access

Honorary Master
Semantics, unmetered would mean the product truly has no limit in any shape or form as the usage is not logged. In any case you seem to not understand the basics of advertising. Agree or disagree, you, the individual needs to be smart about your choices. If you don't like the way something is, use another provider.
NO!

not semantics, this is tech, details matter ffs.

me the individual must not be mislead by false advertising, not, i must learn how to navigate between the false advertising.

YOU are helping towards this problem

MickeyD

RIP
If you want an "uncapped" product without a SLA then you deserve the pain you get with it.

access

Honorary Master
BTW! unmetered means, they are not measuring your use. therefor! they cannot implement anything after a certain amount.

BUT, unmetered can still mean they slow the speed down on a certain day of the month(psst or time of day). just means they dont know if you used a lot or not. whats that? you didnt know? should have read the fine print there buddy.

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
If its advertised as uncapped, you expect no cap. Yes, the account does not have a cap on it and you are free to use as much as you would like. Nowhere does any product state it is unlimited or unmetered, all have absolute acceptable use policies and I agree with them. Its all about managing your expectations and feel free to disagree, but its up to the consumer to know what they are buying and vote with their wallet should they feel that they are not getting what they pay for. It as ALWAYS been this way, consumers need to be smart, or they will be taken advantage of, which is why regulatory bodies are formed to ensure no one gets screwed.

Keeping in mind what I said above, do you think that its up to the provider or regulator to ensure consumer expectations are kept?
The definition is: "remove a limit or restriction on (a price, rate, or amount)." Therefore there are no limits or restrictions.

Yes, it is up to the provider, advertise as is rather than something that it is not. ASA should have stopped this right at the beginning.

waylander

Expert Member
If you want an "uncapped" product without a SLA then you deserve the pain you get with it.
Sadly people don't understand this and want everything for R99 on a month to month basis with 24/7 support, free router, usenet and they must be compensated for the 3 minutes of downtime they received. Oh and don't forget it must include line rental, digging up the garden, and must come with 20 concurrents so they can let their neighbors dogs use it too.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Sadly people don't understand this and want everything for R99 on a month to month basis with 24/7 support, free router, usenet and they must be compensated for the 3 minutes of downtime they received. Oh and don't forget it must include line rental, digging up the garden, and must come with 20 concurrents so they can let their neighbors dogs use it too.
Again, increase the price of uncapped to be proper uncapped and come up with a different name for the product that is the current uncapped, but they won't do that due to the connotations of uncapped.

waylander

Expert Member
The definition is: "remove a limit or restriction on (a price, rate, or amount)." Therefore there are no limits or restrictions.

Yes, it is up to the provider, advertise as is rather than something that it is not. ASA should have stopped this right at the beginning.
That isn't the world we live in, but interesting to read your view. I am all for businesses operating within legal boundary, so I believe that if the problem is with the product sold by the business the relevant regulator should take action, if not, the consumer should just move on. The business will not survive without them so I don't see why people moan about how poor their service is without actually doing anything about it.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Yep.

The biggest issue is that internet and hosting services, the terms, are not regulated by a definition in SA. The moment you enter a service level agreement (SLA) the service levels are stipulated, where penalties may apply pending on the resolution, etc.

Trying to be as short and layman as possible here.