Are you currently sick with COVID-19?

Are you currently, or have your been infected with SARS-CoV-2?

• I currently have COVID-19

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • I've recovered from COVID-19

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • I have not had COVID-19

Votes: 216 65.1%
  • I don't care about this stupid virus, it's just the flu

Votes: 20 6.0%
  • I prefer not to say

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I died

Votes: 40 12.0%
  • I'm currently recovering from it

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters

sand_man

Honorary Master
A quick re-cap:

So the rumors are definitely true...COVID recovery is NOT linear.

A few hours after waking up feeling 90%, I starting taking a severe dip again and all the terrible symptoms were back in full swing.

Ended up going to ER yesterday. Was put on 2 drips, to help with fever and de-hydration.

This alone cost me R 2 500 and the scripts another R 500.

Didn't feel like it helped at all. Oxygen stats were at 99% and lungs indicated no issues.

I do however cough more now and every time I take a really deep breath my lungs burn and I start coughing uncontrollably which is fukkin scary tbh.

They put me on Cortisone, Antibiotics and strong meds for pain and fever.

I had to change clothing twice throughout the night due to soaking cold sweats.

i am still extremely exhausted, disorientated and dizzy.

Fuk this is really bad....
F uck dude, sounds gnarly! I reckon you through the worse of it. At least I hope so, for your sake but you been battling this bug for over 3 weeks now, correct?

Grant

Honorary Master
As a matter of interest, if you have COVID then a visit to the docs would not be encouraged, is there another way to get prescribed medicine without visiting a GP? Are they allowed to diagnose over the phone for example?
Good question - I suspect for some things that do not require physical examination it may be possible. I have on a few occasions been able to collect on a script faxed to the pharmacy without a physical visit to the GP.
Having said that, to the best of my recollection, these instances were for a few tablets ie 5 sleeping tabs or similar, not an entire box of 30.
Perhaps the doctor has some discretionary latitude when it comes to very small quantities

B-1

Expert Member
A quick re-cap:

A few hours after waking up feeling 90%, I starting taking a severe dip again and all the terrible symptoms were back in full swing.

Ended up going to ER yesterday. Was put on 2 drips, to help with fever and de-hydration.

Didn't feel like it helped at all. Oxygen stats were at 99% and lungs indicated no issues.

I do however cough more now and every time I take a really deep breath my lungs burn and I start coughing uncontrollably which is fukkin scary tbh.

Did they give you vitamin D+C as well? Seems like a common one with the cortizone and antibiotics from some people I know.
Take care of yourself plenty people have taken a turn forthe worse after stating they are feeling better. Even once you are really better you need to ease into things for a month or two to check you don't have blood clots, heart, lung or any other organ damage. It has a very broad potential of damage so rather play it safe even if you end up with a mild case. Good luck...

Divine Master of Unknown

Honorary Master
No they are not allowed to diagnose of the phone. Could you imagine how that would be milked?
Huh? You do know that virtual consultations are now a thing? I had one last week and my prescription and medical certificates sent to me electronically...

Last edited:

Divine Master of Unknown

Honorary Master
I thought not. But you can see the dilemma here.
COVID-19 is the reason why virtual consultations are becoming all the more common.

Our law has long allowed a doctor to make a diagnosis without even examining you (next time you look at a medical certificate, you will notice there is a tick box that the doctor can tick which basically says "the patient informed me that they have xyz")

The doctor makes the call on whether he is going to accept your word, or if he will confirm your diagnosis by way of an examination (in which case he also ticks the "I have examined the patient and it is my professional opinion that the patient has xxx - remember he cannot write what sickness you have, unless he has your permission)

Our work encouraged us to stay home and should we feel that we might have COVID-19,instead of leaving the house, rather make use of telehealth.

Hell, HR had no issue when I forwarded them my medical certificate and I have never seen that doctor in real life!

dualmeister

Honorary Master
My doc spoke to me on phone then made out a prescription.
Day later I got a R270 bill for a "phone consultation".

Last edited:

Divine Master of Unknown

Honorary Master
My doc spoke to me on phone then made out a prescription. Day later I got a R270 bill for a "phone consultation".
That's the going rate.

People don't realise, unlike a vet, a doctor does not always need to physically examine you. A vet has to examine the animal since the animal can't speak hooman

dualmeister

Honorary Master
That's the going rate.

People don't realise, unlike a vet, a doctor does not always need to physically examine you. A vet has to examine the animal since the animal can't speak hooman
They sneaky though. I had to apply to get my chronic meds approved by my medical aid. Doc said no worries "I'll apply for you" Then I was slapped with a R500 bill for doing it :cautious:

Cr4ig

Honorary Master
A quick re-cap:

Bloody hell dude, I hope you recover quickly.