Are you currently sick with COVID-19?

Are you currently, or have your been infected with SARS-CoV-2?

• I currently have COVID-19

Votes: 43 7.1%
  • I've recovered from COVID-19

Votes: 113 18.6%
  • I have not had COVID-19

Votes: 335 55.2%
  • I don't care about this stupid virus, it's just the flu

Votes: 40 6.6%
  • I prefer not to say

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • I died

Votes: 61 10.0%
  • I'm currently recovering from it

Votes: 14 2.3%

• Total voters

Saba'a

Executive Member
Oh you prefer the case at JHB general or whatever it is called?
Or the case in a hospital in Durban?
Or how about another one Cape Town?
Or how about the one that hit the news in Pietersburg?
Sure you can say that those can't be used as a standard applicable everywhere, but there appears to be at least one of these every month, which is a sad blotch and an insult to all the extremely hardworking personnel that are doing their jobs properly.
My point is there is nothing wrong with some patients being treated in their home environments but still under medical supervision.
Which cases? And when? Provide proper context.

And my point of a few out of 100s of cases is, patients with serious symptoms (if you need oxygen, it is) should go to hospital.

But like I said, happy to have people reduce the stress on hospitals in case I need a bed.

We have some of the best medical care in the world but lets ignore all of that.

ebendl

Expert Member
Brother in law caught it, even though they have been self-isolating for weeks now. They had a baby ~4 weeks ago, so didn't want to take any chances. No idea where he caught it -- he has literally only seen delivery people and usually only outside, with masks and very briefly. Mild case so far.

Grandpa passed away from Covid last week. He was 93 and very frail, so not completely unexpected, but still sad. First direct family member I've lost.

daveza

Honorary Master

We also have some of the sh1tt1est petrie dish medical centres, doesn't help if the medical staff are the best in the world.

If I get Covid, the last place I would go is a hospital - private or public.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
We also have some of the sh1tt1est petrie dish medical centres, doesn't help if the medical staff are the best in the world.

If I get Covid, the last place I would go is a hospital - private or public.
I helped lots of people get their jabs, over 60's. The only place accepting uninsured walk-ins was Eeesterust clinic. Now I knew what that place looked like before 1994. The deterioration is terrible.

rvZA

Executive Member
Brother in law caught it, even though they have been self-isolating for weeks now. They had a baby ~4 weeks ago, so didn't want to take any chances. No idea where he caught it -- he has literally only seen delivery people and usually only outside, with masks and very briefly. Mild case so far.

Grandpa passed away from Covid last week. He was 93 and very frail, so not completely unexpected, but still sad. First direct family member I've lost.

Unfortunately, masks do not offer protection against Covid. It does, however, minimize the risk, but does not prevent it. If he was at home all the time, then he might have got it from a delivery guy.

Another problem, Covid is airborn. It may have come from neighbours and winds could have worked well.

rvZA

Executive Member
Which cases? And when? Provide proper context.

And my point of a few out of 100s of cases is, patients with serious symptoms (if you need oxygen, it is) should go to hospital.

But like I said, happy to have people reduce the stress on hospitals in case I need a bed.

I know for a fact that some people with low oxygen levels, who needs to be admitted, are being sent home if the family has access to oxygen. Our local community FB group has many, many people looking to buy oxygen bottles and oxygen for family members where hospitals refuse to admit them due to shortage of beds. Unfortunately, going to hospital does not mean you will get treated or saved.

maxXED

I was diagnosed 10 days ago. Started with massive headaches and then flu. Slowly getting better. Had breathing issues but I seem to be over that. Initially treated with 5 day course of antibiotics.Now prednisone and Phenergan. Using a nebulizer twice a day. Taking acc 200 and other otc meds.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I was diagnosed 10 days ago. Started with massive headaches and then flu. Slowly getting better. Had breathing issues but I seem to be over that. Initially treated with 5 day course of antibiotics.Now prednisone and Phenergan. Using a nebulizer twice a day. Taking acc 200 and other otc meds.
Get better soon. And please let us know when you have recovered.

thehuman

Expert Member
Friend of us passed away last night, oxygen levels kept going down they tried an oxygen bottle at home for 2 days before was admitted to hospital.
X-rays showed his lungs was damaged an even with high flow oxygen could not keep levels up.

Atleast hospital let the family in to see him earlier the morning.

rvZA

Executive Member
Friend of us passed away last night, oxygen levels kept going down they tried an oxygen bottle at home for 2 days before was admitted to hospital.
X-rays showed his lungs was damaged an even with high flow oxygen could not keep levels up.

Atleast hospital let the family in to see him earlier the morning.

Its horrible. A family friend had the same issue. Could not stabilize oxygen levels with normal oxygen. He needed to be placed on a ventilator. Unfortunately the hospital had no open beds. They also decided he will not be placed on a waiting list due to his age. They informed his family of the decision and he was left in a normal ward to suffocate and die. Luckilly for him he started losing brain functions within hours and died 8 hours later.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Anti-biotics are not for the virus. It is to prevent you from getting things like, and especially, pneumonia, which will be a death sentence if you have the virus.

By the way, many people, if there are no risk of Pneumonia, will not even get anti-biotics.
But we have a real doctor on the forum who tells us all about the issues of Covid Pneumonia compared to the Pneumonia one gets as a result of a bacterial infection. So the reasons for giving antibiotics "in case" are already very weak and unsubstantiated with any facts.

Has this stopped numerous doctors and hospitals especially in the public domain from prescribing antibiotics "in case"? A resounding NO it has not.

rvZA

Executive Member
But we have a real doctor on the forum who tells us all about the issues of Covid Pneumonia compared to the Pneumonia one gets as a result of a bacterial infection. So the reasons for giving antibiotics "in case" are already very weak and unsubstantiated with any facts.

Has this stopped numerous doctors and hospitals especially in the public domain from prescribing antibiotics "in case"? A resounding NO it has not.

A 'real doctor' who has time to post on MyBB surely does not have many patients. Nor does it seem he or she has a fixed job. So, I just have to wonder about this doctor.....

daveza

Honorary Master
A 'real doctor' who has time to post on MyBB surely does not have many patients. Nor does it seem he or she has a fixed job. So, I just have to wonder about this doctor.....

Perhaps he's retired.

noxibox

Honorary Master
It is completely appropriate for hospitals to have people who only need oxygen self-treat at home. It is exactly what plenty of people did before this new virus came along.

As for pneumonia if it is bacterial then antibiotics are useful, otherwise not.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
We will have to wait for him to respond of course.
Rest assured there are that is enough.