Are you currently sick with COVID-19?

Are you currently, or have your been infected with SARS-CoV-2?

• I currently have COVID-19

Votes: 42 7.0%
  • I've recovered from COVID-19

Votes: 110 18.4%
  • I have not had COVID-19

Votes: 331 55.4%
  • I don't care about this stupid virus, it's just the flu

Votes: 39 6.5%
  • I prefer not to say

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • I died

Votes: 60 10.1%
  • I'm currently recovering from it

Votes: 14 2.3%

• Total voters

Daveogg

Expert Member
My mom has covid and she is a very difficult "patient" - her blood oxygen is very low and she is delirious but refuses to go to the hospital. This was specified before she got sick under no circumstance do we send her to a hospital.
We jumped through hoops and got her oxygen, but she won't put on the mask so we just try and have it next to her - it does help.
We also managed to get a drip going, she hasn't eaten for a week or so, we will attempt another drip later today.
Hey lived666 sorry about your mom, from what you have posted your mom's condition is very serious. Was it her wishes not to go to hospital?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Don't know how this works and neither does the science either.

The CDC states that you may still test positive for up to 3 months, if not longer, after recovering from Covid. But, this will be due to the dead Covid cells left in your upper respitory way.

I know people who contracted Covid last week, just before they had to depart for the UK on Sunday. The woman, who was on day 5 of Covid went for a test and tested negative. Her boyfriend, also on day 5 tested positive. He went for two more tests the same day and one of them returned a negative result. He used the negative test to travel abroad.
Illustrates perfectly why PCR tests should NOT be used for anything EXCEPT as part of a proper diagnostic process.
The false positive and negative test ratios are just far too high to make the results meaningful or of any use.

rvZA

Executive Member
Illustrates perfectly why PCR tests should NOT be used for anything EXCEPT as part of a proper diagnostic process.
The false positive and negative test ratios are just far too high to make the results meaningful or of any use.

Agreed. I was convinced they would not be flying, but I was wrong. After 3 tests within the same day they got a negative.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
My mom has covid and she is a very difficult "patient" - her blood oxygen is very low and she is delirious but refuses to go to the hospital. This was specified before she got sick under no circumstance do we send her to a hospital.
We jumped through hoops and got her oxygen, but she won't put on the mask so we just try and have it next to her - it does help.
We also managed to get a drip going, she hasn't eaten for a week or so, we will attempt another drip later today.
My sympathies. I know all about dealing with difficult relatives. It is the reason why I have a fair amount of knowledge about some medical matters. So, see it as an opportunity to learn something.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Agreed. I was convinced they would not be flying, but I was wrong. After 3 tests they got a negative.
Sounds like my grandson playing computer games. --- keep restarting until you strike it lucky to get the outcome you want.

rvZA

Executive Member
Sounds like my grandson playing computer games. --- keep restarting until you strike it lucky to get the outcome you want.

Well, they had to leave. They have an appointment in Panama next week for a permanent residency application for their family. On 1 August the rules changes and Saffers will no longer be able to emigrate there unless you invest millions in property. Hence the reason why they tried so many tests just to be able to get on the plane.

rvZA

Executive Member
Lost a best friend yesterday morning. was a fit healthy guy, 46yrs old :(
This new strain is harder to predict :(

Sorry to hear that. Yes, the new strain affects anybody. There is no medical explanation and they still need to learn more about it. I know of 80+ year olds with comorbidities who made it after 10 days in hospital. I know of a 22 year old gym instructor who died in hospital. One thing is for sure, the new strain is much more unpredictable.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
That reminds me.

There is a line of thought that suggests the Covid affects very fit people more than the not so fit (all things being equal, no comorbidities, etc)

Any ideas if there is any logical explanation for this?

Fit people generally require higher levels of oxygen, feel altitude quicker and more severe than less fit people as an example.

rvZA

Executive Member
That reminds me.

There is a line of thought that suggests the Covid affects very fit people more than the not so fit (all things being equal, no comorbidities, etc)

Fit people generally require higher levels of oxygen, feel altitude quicker and more severe than less fit people as an example.

I suspect we may only get the answers for this in 5-10 years when more proper research can be done on Covid 19. I suspect that there are way too little information available globally. Much is being hidden in any event. They need to get hold of the people who worked on this virus both in the US and China to tell us what we are faced with.

Daveogg

Expert Member
That reminds me.

Not really fit people tend to move faster at higher altitude, set higher goals, and are used too pushing themselves athletically. They tend to be slower to realise they are getting into trouble. As a consequence they are more likely suffer from AMS. If fit people follow the rules at altitude(ascent rates, fluid replacement, acclimatization) they do better than unfit people. Altitude fascinating physiology.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Not really fit people tend to move faster at higher altitude, set higher goals, and are used too pushing themselves athletically. They tend to be slower to realise they are getting into trouble. As a consequence they are more likely suffer from AMS. If fit people follow the rules at altitude(ascent rates, fluid replacement, acclimatization) they do better than unfit people. Altitude fascinating physiology.
That makes sense. Now, what about when contracting Covid? The same? Fit people delay visiting the doctor, get diagnosed later, start treatment later, and end up having a harder time of it?

nazmo

Expert Member
That reminds me.

Before lockdown and having newborn twins. I was cycling 5 days a week. You actually require less oxygen. Resting heart rate lower. So in theory you can manage better with reduced breathing capacity

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
That reminds me.

I've said it on this forum and I'll say it again.

I don't know of a single person who drinks and smokes on a regular basis who died as a result of COVID-19. All the friends and family I've lost were non-drinkers/smokers.

I have one friend who contracted COVID-19 twice - once late last year, and now again with the Delta-variant. He recovered both times with his only complaint being it takes a while before he can appreciate the taste of cigarettes after healing.

You might be onto something there.

Make of it what you will, it's just too convenient to be a coincidence.

rvZA

Executive Member
I've said it on this forum and I'll say it again.

I don't know of a single person who drinks and smokes on a regular basis who died as a result of COVID-19. All the friends and family I've lost were non-drinkers/smokers.

I have one friend who contracted COVID-19 twice - once late last year, and now again with the Delta-variant. He recovered both times with his only complaint being it takes a while before he can appreciate the taste of cigarettes after healing.

You might be onto something there.

Make of it what you will, it's just too convenient to be a coincidence.

Look, I smoke anything from 2-3 packets of cigarettes a day. Been doing this from primary school and I am almost 50 now. I am a chain smoker, coughing my lungs out, but I do drink a couple of beers and some whiskey a week. Not a big drinker. I also had Asthma as a kid and only outgrew it during my matrick year. I do no excercises and I hate healthy food, veggies, etc.

I thought I would die if I ever contracted Covid. I did, I was sick and tested positive. The whole family tested positive. So, I was waiting to die. Smoked less during my 10 days of Covid, simply because I could not taste s**t.

But, I made it. Somehow.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
What symptoms do you have with this one 17 days later?

Its now 22 days since my first symptom and all I have to show for it is a stupid cough, not wet, just an irritation, other than that, strong as an ox, went for a 3.5km walk in the dunes this morning followed by 35 minutes of badminton....

Think I might braai later... :unsure:

animal531

Expert Member

Once people get low on oxygen they can't think properly anymore, that's why you see people yelling in hospitals that the doctors and nurses are trying to murder them, or that they're leaving right now and no one is going to stop them (when they can't stand up).

My point being that you shouldn't let her be making the decisions.

Daveogg

Expert Member
Once people get low on oxygen they can't think properly anymore, that's why you see people yelling in hospitals that the doctors and nurses are trying to murder them, or that they're leaving right now and no one is going to stop them (when they can't stand up).

My point being that you shouldn't let her be making the decisions.
That's why it is essential if you anticipate you will be the person taking these decisions for someone else, to have the difficult discussion and get a detailed idea of what level of care they would want.
For example for my relative he would want all available care up to but not including invasive ventilation.