Are you currently sick with COVID-19?

Are you currently, or have your been infected with SARS-CoV-2?

• I currently have COVID-19

Votes: 42 6.9%
  • I've recovered from COVID-19

Votes: 113 18.6%
  • I have not had COVID-19

Votes: 335 55.3%
  • I don't care about this stupid virus, it's just the flu

Votes: 40 6.6%
  • I prefer not to say

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • I died

Votes: 61 10.1%
  • I'm currently recovering from it

Votes: 14 2.3%

• Total voters

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
It does once you account for 80% being vaccinated and 20% not.
Okay to highlight it once again.

In the below data one can determine that in the UK a non vaccinated person is about 3 times as likely to die from covid than a non vaccinated one.

See the problem?

flytek

Let me try clarify.
The vaccines seem to have reduced a population average chance of death by 3 fold.
Giving vitamin D starved populations vitamin D will reduce their chances of dying by 7 fold in around 40% of that population.
Therefor in vitamin D starved populations luke Europe taking vitamin D supplements would be approximately as effective at reducing deaths as being double vaccinated.

airborne

Honorary Master
Let me try clarify.
The vaccines seem to have reduced a population average chance of death by 3 fold.
Giving vitamin D starved populations vitamin D will reduce their chances of dying by 7 fold in around 40% of that population.
Therefor in vitamin D starved populations luke Europe taking vitamin D supplements would be approximately as effective at reducing deaths as being double vaccinated.
Vitamin D supplements probably won't make much difference to a person living in sunny Sa?

kronoSX

Honorary Master
i am so disappointed i did not take the phizer one .really i am.I am still sick from the breakthrough covid even though its a bit medium to mild i am K@k sick.its been a week now and i am just getting better slightly.At least i did not go to hospital.I am so on point now i wear a mask now always even in the house and santize my hands every time i touch something.i am so scared now and i feel like i cant trust this vaccine no more.I want to get another vaccine.
I dont feel safe at all and during this trying times i am hoping to get my taste and smell back.I tried calling the doctor to ask him does allupronol suppress my immune system.i am on chronic gout medication 300mg and i know this has affected my immune system cause i never ever get sick for years.now suddenly this year i am getting sick after the j and j side effects last month 3 days sick and now this month brother gave me covid even fully vaccinated.I am sure my meds is causing this.I asked the nurse that gave me the jab if gout medication affects this vaccine and she said no..booolsheet.

airborne

Honorary Master
i am so disappointed i did not take the phizer one .really i am.I am still sick from the breakthrough covid even though its a bit medium to mild i am K@k sick.its been a week now and i am just getting better slightly.At least i did not go to hospital.I am so on point now i wear a mask now always even in the house and santize my hands every time i touch something.i am so scared now and i feel like i cant trust this vaccine no more.I want to get another vaccine.
I dont feel safe at all and during this trying times i am hoping to get my taste and smell back.I tried calling the doctor to ask him does allupronol suppress my immune system.i am on chronic gout medication 300mg and i know this has affected my immune system cause i never ever get sick for years.now suddenly this year i am getting sick after the j and j side effects last month 3 days sick and now this month brother gave me covid even fully vaccinated.I am sure my meds is causing this.I asked the nurse that gave me the jab if gout medication affects this vaccine and she said no..booolsheet.

Yoh, some paragraphs would really assist that post. It looks like it was posted by a poorly programmed bot :-O

Brawler

Honorary Master
I was poking around with my fingers on my chest an hour ago and noticed the pain isnt to one side by my heart as I had thought it was. It is directly in the middle about 3cms blow the nipple line. So its a pipe of somesorts and not an organ I guess, but I am not sure, I don't have Matric.
Whatever it is the pain is mostly there when I sit down or lie in bed, if I walk around it is 99% gone.

This covid stuff is so frigging weird. Everyone has different sysmtoms, I have put on 10kg and now weigh 85kg since Covid started 17 months ago, also blame the fact that I was home for half that time drinking beer and braaing everyday. Gonna slow down on that now and only do that on weekends, or at least try. Luckily I stay fit by hiking every weekend I get a chance
Sounds like gastritis.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master

Eish! Feel for you boet. I too am on 300mg Puricos, have been for the last two decades. Just had my 2nd jab of Astra yesterday, unlike the first no side effects. When going for my 1st jab my Doc had to provide a letter stating that the Puricos and Uromax I am taking would not have any effect on me. He told me to continue taking my meds.

Feel like a boeing this morning....Good Luck!

Lupus

Honorary Master
You still don't seem to know what a vaccine does, the fact that you're not in hospital is thanks to the vaccine, this could've happened with the Pfizer one as well.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Just googled it and i think you're spot on. I will keep monitoring it and see how it goes, thanx
Wow surprised it didn't come up with some rare diseases. Googling symptoms normally leads to a disease being named after you

Nuke

Vitamin D supplements probably won't make much difference to a person living in sunny Sa?
Depends on the person. For example, I have a friend whose 25OH-D levels came back at 25ng/ml in Feb. By the end of winter she probably was under 10ng/ml. Supplementing is a really good idea for her. Oh, and she is white, so she has optimal chance of actually making VitD from the sun.

I also take 5000IU daily in summer and 10000IU in winter. Even though I'm outside quite often.

Hemps

Honorary Master
Ive had a slightly tight chest for last few days, non stop, even when I go to sleep.
Never had that before
Nothing major, just annoying

I need to take a break from the booze a bit, leave my suiping for weekends only and see if it gets better

Same here, some say its an allergic reaction to beer.
I notice it got worse when I tried Castle Double Malt, bad when sitting on couch watching TV but if I'm active before bed then no issues.

Old_Liver

The mother-in-law is finally being released from the step-down after 5 weeks there, totaling 10 weeks of Hospital + step-down time. Still needs oxygen and only walked for the first time since admission last week, also 2 clots have been picked up in the brain, so rather be safe than sorry.

Also learnt this past weekend she actually died twice while in hospital
Nurses just stated "she was doing fine" everyday.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Same here, some say its an allergic reaction to beer.
I notice it got worse when I tried Castle Double Malt, bad when sitting on couch watching TV but if I'm active before bed then no issues.
Yeah this is a weird one
Im heading to the bottle store now to get another 2 Castle Lites for tonight and see how it goes.
If this drinking 3 Black Label quarts is now starting to **** with me in my old age then I will just have to downgrade to a beer that does not make me feel sore

Unless this is a side effect of me having had covid last week without even knowing I had it. We shall see

airborne

Honorary Master
Depends on the person. For example, I have a friend whose 25OH-D levels came back at 25ng/ml in Feb. By the end of winter she probably was under 10ng/ml. Supplementing is a really good idea for her. Oh, and she is white, so she has optimal chance of actually making VitD from the sun.

I also take 5000IU daily in summer and 10000IU in winter. Even though I'm outside quite often.
How does vitamin D actually help with Covid, what's the mechanism?

Nuke

Eish, it be very complicated to explain in a few sentences.

It modulates the immune system, on the one end lower the inflammatory responses, and on the other helping the immune system to zoom in on the pathogen. Big part of the issue with covid is its pro inflammatory effect (that why they use corticosteroids).

While I can't find it now, I also read some things that VitD, as cholecalciferol - once thought inactive, has its own effects activating anti-viral response genes.

If you are interested in exactly how it works, I'm afraid you will have to do a deep dive into immunology and some pubmed studies.

mister

Executive Member
How does vitamin D actually help with Covid, what's the mechanism?

There are many mechanisms... You can find answers in the below links: