Are you currently sick with COVID-19?

Are you currently, or have your been infected with SARS-CoV-2?

• I currently have COVID-19

Votes: 45 7.1%
  • I've recovered from COVID-19

Votes: 124 19.5%
  • I have not had COVID-19

Votes: 344 54.1%
  • I don't care about this stupid virus, it's just the flu

Votes: 41 6.4%
  • I prefer not to say

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • I died

Votes: 66 10.4%
  • I'm currently recovering from it

Votes: 15 2.4%

• Total voters

Hush9300

Expert Member
In the past few weeks a lot of people I know have been mildly sick, with the rate of people getting sick rising quite rapidly in the past few days. Mostly just sore throat, cough, fatigue, blocked sinuses.

What the change of it being the new variant? Anybody else seeing a pattern like this in their social circle? Nobody here bothered to go for a test so far, but I'm wondering.
A client of ours, a restaurant and fast food chain, had to close and get in temp staff at one of their outlets because basically everybody tested positive.

In my social circle. Many have been testing positive since early this week.

maumau

Honorary Master
A few friends complaining of headache, fatigue etc but nothing hectic. Most of them self isolating for 10 days rather than pay R850 to be tested.

EDIT: 2 tested earlier this week, both positive but happy as Larry feeling not too bad

thehuman

Expert Member
A few friends complaining of headache, fatigue etc but nothing hectic. Most of them self isolating for 10 days rather than pay R850 to be tested.

EDIT: 2 tested earlier this week, both positive but happy as Larry feeling not too bad
Don't understand why private test still cost r850

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Don't understand why private test still cost r850
I'm sure you do... $$$

But you're not alone ;)

Health department 'has no idea why the test for Covid-19 still costs R850'​

The cost of Covid-19 testing — set at R850 per test by some private laboratories — is being investigated by the Competition Commission after the Council for Medical Schemes (CMS) raised the issue.

Health minister Joe Phaahla told parliament his department is joining the complaint as there is no reason the charge for private testing has not dropped in the face of huge demand for the service.

Replying to a parliamentary question on why the cost remains R850 despite advances in technology and the volume of tests done, Phaahla said neither the health department nor the council had been involved in setting the price.

In terms of the law, private facilities are allowed to set their own prices for services they render.

“The department has no idea why the test for Covid-19 still costs R850 per unit despite the volumes, scale and technological advances in this area. The CMS has formally lodged a complaint in this regard [with] the Competition Commission.”

Sayf777

Expert Member
In the past few weeks a lot of people I know have been mildly sick, with the rate of people getting sick rising quite rapidly in the past few days. Mostly just sore throat, cough, fatigue, blocked sinuses.

What the change of it being the new variant? Anybody else seeing a pattern like this in their social circle? Nobody here bothered to go for a test so far, but I'm wondering.
I've seen and heard a lot of this.

And I've had my sinus acting up for the past 2 weeks.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
One of my best buds has covid and his wife and son and daughter
They all down, the youngest is taking it the worst.
She is 11
Buddy and wife in their 40s and son is 17, they're all vaxxed.
Daughter is too young to be vaxxed

Ciferion

Still recovering 1 week later since the test. Tiredness, drowsy, Headaches, loss of smell & taste still on going but getting there slowly.

_kabal_

Expert Member
Felt “throaty/swallowy” 2 Saturday’s ago.
Was told that some people at an event tested positive.
Basically had a long (8 days) “cold” - slight fatigue and joint “pain”
Tested positive on a home rapid antigen test.
Spent a week taking coryx, adcodol and indoor, sleeping and playing Xbox - was kind of pleasant but then also got boring.

ebendl

Expert Member
Had it last week, but it's been 2 weeks since the first symptoms (which was a "tingling throat") so I'm supposed to be done.

Tested negative a on rapid antigen test (when I had heavy symptoms). Tested positive the next day on a PCR test.

Had cold symptoms, fever and lost taste/smell for a couple of days. But generally didn't have it too badly and continued working from home. Not sure if it was omicron, 2x pfizer shots, my amazing personal health (ha!) or just plain luck.

That being said, my throat and nasal cavities are still a bit stuffed at the moment.

tetrasect

Expert Member
Had it last week, but it's been 2 weeks since the first symptoms (which was a "tingling throat") so I'm supposed to be done.

Tested negative a on rapid antigen test (when I had heavy symptoms). Tested positive the next day on a PCR test.

Had cold symptoms, fever and lost taste/smell for a couple of days. But generally didn't have it too badly and continued working from home. Not sure if it was omicron, 2x pfizer shots, my amazing personal health (ha!) or just plain luck.

That being said, my throat and nasal cavities are still a bit stuffed at the moment.

I had similar symptoms last weekend, minus the loss of taste/smell but very runny nose. Very mild overall.

Also still have that lingering itch at the top of my throat and top of my lungs, mostly noticeable when I try to sleep.

Unfortunately the nurse at the local Clicks got fired so no antibody tests available. Will have to take a drive to dischem one of these days.

Cius

Executive Member
95% sure I have it. Started Wednesday with a horrific post nasal drip that stopped me sleeping much for a few nights. Turned into a sore throat, by Sat was getting worse so went to the doc. He did not think it was covid and put me on antibiotics. By Sunday the throat was in agony, headaches started, crazy fatigue, generally feeling crap. Feeling a lot better today but still a bit of a sore throat. I think my immune system is just a bit flabby having not been sick for over 2 years. Lost 3 kg in about 5 days.

George Netherby

Expert Member
Back at the office today. Feeling 100% after 13 days since returning a positive sample. This second bout was no worse than the first time I tested positive. Mrs Netherby also tested positive, but had no symptoms at all, she didn't even miss a training day.

ebendl

Expert Member
95% sure I have it. Started Wednesday with a horrific post nasal drip that stopped me sleeping much for a few nights. Turned into a sore throat, by Sat was getting worse so went to the doc. He did not think it was covid and put me on antibiotics. By Sunday the throat was in agony, headaches started, crazy fatigue, generally feeling crap. Feeling a lot better today but still a bit of a sore throat. I think my immune system is just a bit flabby having not been sick for over 2 years. Lost 3 kg in about 5 days.
Are you going to test? All of that sounds like flu-like symptoms which would point to Covid in my books.

I'm honestly less inclined to trust a GP these days. Especially ones which automatically prescribe antibiotics.