Votes: 87 22.0%
  • Will wait and see

Votes: 178 44.9%
  • Not interested

Votes: 131 33.1%

• Total voters

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
I am very excited for the product. Although it wouldn't replace my personal fiber connection.

voldemort66

The pricing is super expensive. With all the fuss i was expecting a 500mb line speed but you can get it much cheaper for the same speeds elsewhere. No need for fibre, MTN will also be releasing Air fibre soon with competitive pricing and similar speeds.

Brian_G

Expert Member
I see it’s cloud/weather dependent, would you take on a service where you may have no control/connection for a couple of days.
Interesting. That would be the frequencies (similar to what DStv uses) , so likely more about bad storms. Do you have a link?

I wonder if there's plans for getting round it with other frequencies later, or the option to point elsewhere in the sky.

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
The pricing is super expensive.
Only if you are covered by fibre. Many of us have no other option than to pay R900 for 2Mbps wireless connection. The same tech that cities are using for wireless at a fraction of the cost.

Brian_G

Expert Member
Only if I was living somewhere that had no fiber. Fiber still has less latency
Well worded facts from the other thread;

I am quoting the latency for the full trip. Because of the low orbit and most of the trip happening in space and not glass, you are looking at way lower latency from any point on earth to another than that offered by fibre optics.

Blu82

Expert Member
Interested because it will allow me to relocate my home office to areas without viable broadband if I so choose. I therefor pick the area based on other factors.

ghostRgg

I just want to experiment with latencies and mess around with the Starlink network. Theoretically with the lower -> Higher orbit then backhaul over laser, it's possible to latency we thought was impossible to other continents.

Johand

Expert Member
Well - for me currently living in the city with fibre ... no. But it would be amazing to have starlink if you want to go work remotely at a lodge in the middle of nowhere for a week. Wonder if Starlink will bring out pre-paid bundles? It would be nice just stash the dish in your garage and when you want to go away just buy 7 days, or 30 days access, throw it in your car and go set up somewhere remote.

BigRuss

Not sure if I can get a clear view of the sky or if the body corporate would be keen to have my dish up on the roof with wiring to my apartment

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Interested because it will allow me to relocate my home office to areas without viable broadband if I so choose. I therefor pick the area based on other factors.

This is also an aspect that I think many may be missing.

Given the amount of us who are now almost permanently doing the WFH thing, a decent internet connection that would work in fsckarse end of nowhere makes the property options almost endless...

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I see it’s cloud/weather dependent, would you take on a service where you may have no control/connection for a couple of days.
Isn't DSTV also weather dependent? Are you suggesting Starlink may be more susceptible to cloud coverage?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
You don't say...
We do the best we can with what we've got. Limiting everything to 720p helps though.

At the moment we have to make sure the kids have enough bandwidth for their online schooling so we've added a rain package for the adults during the day.

BeerIsNotGood...

Executive Member
We do the best we can with what we've got. Limiting everything to 720p helps though.

At the moment we have to make sure the kids have enough bandwidth for their online schooling so we've added a rain package for the adults during the day.
Bandwidth Control would be perfect for you. Unfortunately only a few pricy routers/modems have them (Proper Bandwidth Control)