Are you one of them? Dude don't lie to me, are you one of them?

nazmo

Expert Member
not just a sales tool but a winner on car parts, now you have to install a new starter motor more often :ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh:
Cars with built in stop/start function do not use a traditional starter, so the "wear" issue is not a factor.

Electric I suppose? Not crank driven.
90% of Aircons are electric, that being said, if you in "stop" mode for long, and the car realises that there's too much battery draw, it auto starts.

Personally I almost never use it, as Renault's stop start isnt as good as vw. I think its more about passing emissions etc... The Mrs uses it most of the time in her VW, its very intuative and quick in her car.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Just the ones left, I think you'll find once you have a think about it quite a few of the members you used to have proper arguments with are no longer here, or just not saying much to you.

Nah...I can count the ones I've had "proper" arguments with on one hand...and they all still bite me kuk most days.

Lucky me I guess.

When are you putting me on ignore then?

MightyQuin

Not amused...
AC stays on, but my AC performance is quite a bit weaker when engine is not running.
It does stay on, but since it's only the fan that runs and not the compressor, the air turns "room" temp rather quickly. So it would be pointless keeping it running.

Mine turns off when I turn my car off, though.

themba990

Expert Member
AC stays on, but my AC performance is quite a bit weaker when engine is not running.
My AC is weak all the time on account of eco mode. Just kidding my car is always on sport mode.
What annoys me is when my car auto stops and then the car in front of me inches forward by about one car length and I'm forced to auto start just to close that gap and auto stop again.

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
Nah...I can count the ones I've had "proper" arguments with on one hand...and they all still bite me kuk most days.

Lucky me I guess.

When are you putting me on ignore then?

You used to be on it I think, remember the picture, then I noticed from my other account you said something I wanted to like or comment on or something with this account.

Stonemason

It has been proven that a car only saves fuel if it's off for at least 15 seconds where a same car was idilling. Nothing but a sales tool

Really ou? If you do not understand the technology, please do not comment on it.

dews

If I had a car with this feature I would disable it by default.
It takes a lot of power to crank the engine over, and doing this dozens of times per trip cannot be good for the battery, not to mention the starter wear & tear.
Also, during that initial start up, there is no oil pressure, unless they actually cater for this, haven't checked myself if they do.
I am off the opinion that this is bad practice over all, but what do i know, I drive an old skedonk.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
If yr car idles for more than 30 secs you are burning more fuel than it will use to switch it off and start it again.

nazmo

Expert Member
It takes a lot of power to crank the engine over, and doing this dozens of times per trip cannot be good for the battery, not to mention the starter wear & tear.
Also, during that initial start up, there is no oil pressure, unless they actually cater for this, haven't checked myself if they do.
I am off the opinion that this is bad practice over all, but what do i know, I drive an old skedonk.

I did some research, if a car has built in stop start, all the issues mentioned is non-existant.

I have 2 cars (5 yrs each) with built in stop start, no related issues, neither had their batteries replaced within their 5 years. That being said, i dont like the feature, especially if its badly implemented.

It definately does save fuel, just know when to use it

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Electric I suppose? Not crank driven.
must be, that poor battery
oh well, dont come crying to me when your poor battery has cold cranked your engine 30 times a day and now in under 3 years time you need to buy a new one :ROFL::laugh: Unless there is a massive spring that coils up when engine is driving so that when you stop and wanna start again the coil springs your motor back into action and therefore doesnt need a startr motor anymore:laugh:

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Both myself and my wife have exactly the same car. Mazda 3 2.0. we also do similar driving distances and she hated the auto stop/start function and so when she climbs in the car she automatically switches it off. I however did not mind it and so left mine on.

She was using 7.5 Litres per 100km without using I-stop and I got my car down to 7.1 litres per 100km using I-stop. She then started using the I-stop and she is now down to 7.3 Litres per 100km.

So yeah it does seem to save petrol, not much but some

Pitbull

Verboten

No need to disable anything. Just don't compress your brake pedal hard/all the way