Are you one of them? Dude don't lie to me, are you one of them?

kripstoe

Expert Member
as mentioned before, 2 cars, both 100 000kms. both 5 yrs. both original batteries/starters... Its a different tech to 90's starter motors/batteries. Some engines even angle the crank to insta-fire on next start (mazda I think).

Indeed. AGM batteries for example.

Advanced AGM, or AGM+ batteries are similar to traditional AGM batteries, but have even higher cycling endorse and lower internal resistance, making these types of batteries the ideal battery for micro-hybrid, start-stop vehicles.

Neuk_

Executive Member
Stop/Start was one of the things that irritated me on my car so I had it programmed out so it never activates itself.

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
It depends on my mood getting into the car. I find most days leaving home I will switch it off, when traffic is lighter, but leaving the office it stays on because traffic is heavier.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Then the real question is whether a .2 - .4 saving in fuel nullified the expense of having the feature in the first place.

yep, I actually don't see it as a real game changer (especially in the Mazda) but we didn't buy those cars for that feature - it just came standard - probably to get its skyactive technology rating. If the I stop was a paid for added feature on the car, I probably would not opt for it.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
yep, I actually don't see it as a real game changer (especially in the Mazda) but we didn't buy those cars for that feature - it just came standard - probably to get its skyactive technology rating. If the I stop was a paid for added feature on the car, I probably would not opt for it.
I always thought the start/stop was developed for emissions reduction rather than fuel economy anyway.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
I always thought the start/stop was developed for emissions reduction rather than fuel economy anyway.

actually it could be. When I bought the car we didn't even know it had the feature in it. When I drove my car home, and the engine cut off at the first traffic light, I nearly shat myself.

nazmo

Expert Member
actually it could be. When I bought the car we didn't even know it had the feature in it. When I drove my car home, and the engine cut off at the first traffic light, I nearly shat myself.

Like the day i took delivery of the mrs car. I asked the sales guy "dude, why is only one fog light working!"

it was turning itself on when the car turned :laugh::laugh:

grok

Honorary Master
Do you guys even stop-start?

You are still in control of the stop-start even when it is switched on, like when you rock up to a traffic light just before it's going to turn green again. You don't want to switch off for 0.5 sec so you ease off the brake a little (current car's automagic) and the stop-start doesn't kick in.

When you're on African time you step on the brake more solidly letting the car know it can switch off once the committee has ok'd the shutdown.

I used to hate the idea of not being in control, until I realised I am now I love it..

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
I've noticed that when stopping at a traffic light there are people that literally switch their cars off. Light goes green, switch car on and drive off.

I've seen it happen at drive thru's too when there's a long queue. Double-You Tee-Eff to that. It's annoying. Why do you even do it? It's stupid.

Stop it. Idle your car for crying out loud.
How are you THIS triggered by it? Do you really have nothing much more important to worry about?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Yeah in an already fuel efficient car it probably doesn't make much difference. But as long as you aren't specially paying for it like some models from other manufacturers it's not really an issue.

I think the technology that turns off half the cylinders in some big engined units like the V8's from Audi is much more of a game changer.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
My wife's TDI idles at 0.7l per hour. 1.1 if it's really fkn hot and the aircon is on full blast.
I have no idea what my SLK idles at, probably about 35 litres per hour :p

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
My wife's TDI idles at 0.7l per hour. 1.1 if it's really fkn hot and the aircon is on full blast.
I have no idea what my SLK idles at, probably about 35 litres per hour :p
I reckon an SLK uses at least that if you just look at the key...