Are you planning on playing Vanilla WoW?

fixx

Hey guys

So with the release of Vanilla WoW around the corner I spent this past two weeks trying out some of the classes on a Private Vanilla Server what apparently mimics the old WoW experience very closely.
I had time to play the following classes:
  • Hunter
  • Mage
  • Shaman
  • Warrior
  • Rogue
One thing I can reaffirm in case you wondered, not all classes have the same leveling speed and some (like Warrior and Shaman) proved rather hard in comparison to others (such as Hunter and Mage).

In the original game I played a Resto Shaman (as well as on retail) but I'm really considering playing a Warrior Tank in Vanilla.

The reason for this post is to find out if there are other South Africans out there who are planning to form a guild and play Vanilla WoW? It would be ideal, if possible, to get in contact with you guys so we can decide before hand what realm / role etc everyone is going to play and form a proper, dedicated guild from day 1. From what I've seen now the game is allot easier, and its way faster to level a character if you play together with the guys in your guild. Vanilla WoW was after all about the leveling / exploring / community as apposed to the big rush to max level so you can start doing end game grinding / farming.

So if there are people out there who want to form a guild and is looking for someone willing to go through the mission of leveling a tank and doing dungeons and quests together while we work our way up to level 60 then let me know, it would be great to form a community like the one I was part of back when WoW was only Vanilla ;)

schuits

Expert Member
I'm not planning on paying Blizzard ever again for WOW.
But I'm playing on a private classic server at the moment. The experience is the same as when I was a vanilla player, re. very slow grinding...which is fine by me.

Apparently though some private servers will shutdown when Bliz releases classic wow :-(

fixx

I'm not planning on paying Blizzard ever again for WOW.
But I'm playing on a private classic server at the moment. The experience is the same as when I was a vanilla player, re. very slow grinding...which is fine by me.

Apparently though some private servers will shutdown when Bliz releases classic wow :-(
It's fine to play on private servers the issue is just that the player base is very small making it hard to form groups and progress together in a group. That will be key for me when it comes to making a decision whether I play Vanilla or not. You cannot expect to play solo on Vanilla whether or not its on a private or official server.

schuits

Expert Member
It's fine to play on private servers the issue is just that the player base is very small making it hard to form groups and progress together in a group. That will be key for me when it comes to making a decision whether I play Vanilla or not. You cannot expect to play solo on Vanilla whether or not its on a private or official server.
That's what I thought. I started on LightsHope and it was really quiet.
Moved to Northdale and there were over 10k players on last night....it's really busy!

But yeah, I haven't join a big guild or investigated guilds on the server yet.

poffle

Executive Member
I will most definitely be playing Official Classic, sick of the private servers, I've leveled far too many chars only for the realm to die and have to start again.

Can't wait to play again, but i'll be in oceanic timezone.

Yster21

I don't think I'll ever play Vanilla WoW again. Fond memories, but things were just... undeveloped, slow and painful back then.

Reavs

I'll be playing classic on release. Retail isn't for me anymore and I always feel like i'm wasting my time leveling on pservers, not knowing when they will shut down. I played a hunter back then but will probably roll a mage this time.

poffle

Executive Member
The world shall rejoice as it is now forseen!

27 August 2019 is THE DAY! Beta is out, talks with devs are out, all the information!

Annotation 2019-05-16 093407.png

Jase

Expert Member
I'm not sure I'll ever pick up the game again. I've tried over the years but each time I am so behind friends / guilds in terms of gear, class rotations etc. and of course there is the time factor. I do not have to time to commit hours each night and weekends are too busy with other life things.

Perhaps I am getting to old for online MMO gaming.

Henri18

I will definitely be playing classic. BFA expansion is super dull and made me quit it, I will be trying out 8.2 patch with the new zones. But seeing streamers play Classic makes me even more pump for it, can't wait for the endless World PVP.

Jase

Expert Member
Hmmm, I haven't played in a few years but will resto 'durids' get their old tree form back?

poffle

Executive Member
I'm not sure I'll ever pick up the game again. I've tried over the years but each time I am so behind friends / guilds in terms of gear, class rotations etc. and of course there is the time factor. I do not have to time to commit hours each night and weekends are too busy with other life things.

Perhaps I am getting to old for online MMO gaming.
lol i feel the same but i just enjoy classic so much that i can't not play it. I've played the private servers to death and the inevitable always happens, realms die, progress lost, game over, people steal money, ruin project etc etc.
So now to actually have it official, with the QOL improvements i think it'll be grand and good fun to jam.

I will definitely be playing classic. When blizzard announced classic it got me real curious, as I too had fond memories from "back in the day" but I thought that perhaps it was just because that was my first mmo experience. I am very unhappy about the state of the modern game, yet I have tried every single expansion hoping things would improve. That has not happened and it has just gotten worse over time. The technical and quality of life "improvements" have just mostly resulted in a significantly watered down experience for me.

So i embarked on trying out a private server. I was sceptical at first, but you know what, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Things like having a challenging leveling experience just means it becomes so much more immersive. Dieing often quickly teaches you to pay attention and that makes the world feel dangerous and that much more immersive. And rewards feel significant. There is also an importance on community in this dangerous world that you just will not have in the modern game. I can go on and on... Fyi i have a 60 Hunter, 40 warlock and a 33 priest on this server. I also ran a semi casual guild on the server (we only managed to do ZG as a guild) , though I am now just taking a break until classic comes. I still have no idea what to main.

To answer your question though, I too am keen on getting a South African guild going. I rambled on a bit in the hopes to encourage others to give classic a chance too.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
What are the specs you need to run it?
A potato.
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-760 or AMD FX-8100 or later
  • CPU SPEED: Info
  • RAM: 4 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 560 2GB or AMD™ Radeon™ HD 7850 2GB or Intel® HD Graphics 530 (45W)
  • PIXEL SHADER: 5.0
  • VERTEX SHADER: 5.0
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 70 GB
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 2 GB
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/classic-wow-system-requirements/74077/40
Note that is not official, they haven't been announced, but it should run smooth even on intel graphics.

A potato.

Note that is not official, they haven't been announced, but it should run smooth even on intel graphics.
Your probably right but from what i have read the 1.13 vanilla client is based off of the legion client and so it does have many of the shader/shadows/environmental effects and so on as options in the client so i doubt you'd be able to play with the more modern options toggled on on lower end machines but it will likely be playable.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Your probably right but from what i have read the 1.13 vanilla client is based off of the legion client and so it does have many of the shader/shadows/environmental effects and so on as options in the client so i doubt you'd be able to play with the more modern options toggled on on lower end machines but it will likely be playable.
Well, Legion runs super well due to optimizations in the older areas, with people who are forced to use low in newer areas being able to hit 200fps+ in newer areas. /shrug
I'd come back from wotlk, maybe TBC, not vanilla.