Are you planning on playing Vanilla WoW?

Shirou

Expert Member
Let's get the community together, Horde or Alliance PVP or PVE, Mike made a nice discord server for us all to be part of so closer to time we will know where most Alliance or Horde will play and same with which PVE or PVP server people will go onto... you can even then advertise your guild there to make everyone aware: https://discord.gg/Xdj97tR

Jase

Executive Member
So after many years of no WoW, I've installed vanilla wow (on Northdale). I must say it's pretty nostalgic and quite a bit of fun (only lvl 11 at present).

carstensdj

Expert Member
So... Not to be a ponce here but can someone please put some links up as to where I can download this, where the server list etc is? Something for noobs to get online and playing asap.
I used to play the shyte out of WoW back in the day, so not new to the game, so to speak, but just not entirely sure of how to get myself setup on this Vanilla WoW story... TIA

Jase

Executive Member
So... Not to be a ponce here but can someone please put some links up as to where I can download this, where the server list etc is? Something for noobs to get online and playing asap.
I used to play the shyte out of WoW back in the day, so not new to the game, so to speak, but just not entirely sure of how to get myself setup on this Vanilla WoW story... TIA
https://lightshope.org/ (They have a large server population)
Click on faqs and follow the instructions. The download is around 5 gigs.

Rustie

word of caution - private servers are technically illegal and MyBB do not encourage links to them or threads about them.

mike.399

The official/Retail servers for Vanilla wow are going live on the 27th August 2019. With character creation going live on the 13th of August.

mike.399

Just an update on the Discord community for those who are interested and haven't joined yet. We reached 30 members yesterday, I suspect more will join when the release date gets closer, and there is more interest in what server the community will be joining.
The voting so far is showing quite an even split between PvE vs PvP players, as well as horde vs alliance. Here's the link if you are interested: https://discord.gg/Xdj97tR

schuits

Expert Member
So after many years of no WoW, I've installed vanilla wow (on Northdale). I must say it's pretty nostalgic and quite a bit of fun (only lvl 11 at present).

I too am enjoying it.
I rolled a rogue to get some payback, and with 13k ppl online last Sunday the gankfest get's pretty hectic.
There's a heck of a lot of twinks though so it's not always a level playing field.

FlexSA

You mean you just installed WoW (Free till level 20)?
Because WoW classic is not out yet. Or are you on a pirate server?

Jase

Executive Member
You mean you just installed WoW (Free till level 20)?
Because WoW classic is not out yet. Or are you on a pirate server?
Pirate for now. I've reinstalled the game and reactivated my account and will mess around between the two.

Jase

Executive Member
I too am enjoying it.
I rolled a rogue to get some payback, and with 13k ppl online last Sunday the gankfest get's pretty hectic.
There's a heck of a lot of twinks though so it's not always a level playing field.
You on the alliance side? I see them everywhere in Durator and the Barrens.

Jase

Executive Member
I was watching a bunch of streamers go on about how great their beta experience is especially wrt the community and interaction yet when I log onto [the server that cannot be named here] it's still the same. Need to do a group quest, get an invite, do the quest, disband. That's it, no one says Hi, chats and then just disband once they have what they want. Perhaps it will be different in classic but I think the same people who are playing on the server currently will be on classic and as such it will just be the same.

Other thoughts. I like gnomes (esp. mages) but prefer levelling in horde areas. Second to a mage, I've been playing around with a shammy. Still early days though as I'm only in my teens.

|Blunt

i dont think you can compare a "free" servers community with that of what WoW Classic could be. My time on these private servers has tought me that when a game is free, tends to bring out the worst types

Jase

Executive Member
Well plenty of guild names such as 'waiting for classic' and similar with quite a bit of recruitment going on for classic. One that tickled me was the one that required you to take 3 weeks vacation when classic launches (They're aiming for top 50 ).

Nibiru

Started playing Lightshope on Sunday (the vanilla wow private server) and they peaked almost 15k players. It was very noticeable with people in every zone i went to (keep in mind im only level 9 now)

Some of the quests took a while due to the high population farming the same beast or item for the quest and most being in groups already, meaning me and my friend had some trouble getting in. Also because the server mutes new accounts, making you unable to talk to anyone before hitting level 10 apparently. This is to stop spam accounts apparently but it is rather annoying and makes the first 10 levels really hard.

Cant wait for the Live Launch, will be playing.

Hellhound105

Executive Member
Anyone ever played on SAWOW. That was actually kak. Had like 20 players and if you were not part of the main guild sorry no raiding for you

poffle

Executive Member
Think there is the mad rush to Lightshope to see what vanilla is like before launch, for the noobs to see if they can handle it. I shan't return to that place. Not gonna waste precious hours on something that is irrelevant in 90 days :D

Think i might make a warlock this time, never ever had a Lock and also been envious of the free mount :p i'll just subscribe to the fact i'll never get rogue/mage DPS without raid gear.

Can not wait.

Last edited:

Nibiru

Think there is the mad rush to Lightshope to see what vanilla is like before launch, for the noobs to see if they can handle it. I shan't return to that place. Not gonna waste precious hours on something that is irrelevant in 90 days :D

Think i might make a warlock this time, never ever had a Lock and also been envious of the free mount :p i'll just subscribe to the fact i'll never get rogue/mage DPS without raid gear.

Can not wait.

Yeah Lightshope is mega overpopulated now. The early zones are so overcrowded that people are waiting around for mobs to spawn because they get killed to fast. Took us 2 hours last night to get 12 raptor heads each.

And then also because the mobs are killed so fast and so chaotically sometimes they all re-spawn at once and lil ol rogue me has to fend off 4 mobs and die. Zzzzz