Are you planning on playing Vanilla WoW?

The Voice

Honorary Master
Umm thats debatable. I've played classic since nost came about. Solid for like 2 years, then on / off, then solid again for 1 year. So i would say it'll last quite a bit more than a few months
When last did you play retail?

poffle

Executive Member
When last did you play retail?

5 years ago on Legion. I lost interest after Cata. Tried mop it was terrible, legion was fine for about 2 months then never went back.

I just prefer classic, i find it more fun.

Also these streamers, they playing like 10-3351350 hours per day, so of course you'll burn out in the Beta. But for many casual players who only have 2-4 hours per night (if that) , it can take a long long time.

Last edited:

Rustie

5 years ago on Legion. I lost interest after Cata. Tried mop it was terrible, legion was fine for about 2 months then never went back.

My math is not the greatest, but Legion was released in Feb 2017 - not 5 years ago.
You either have your expansions mixed up or you are flat out pulling stuff from thin air.
Which is it?

poffle

Executive Member
My math is not the greatest, but Legion was released in Feb 2017 - not 5 years ago.
You either have your expansions mixed up or you are flat out pulling stuff from thin air.
Which is it?

woooopsie Warlords of Draenor is the one! the one where they introduced your workers that you send on quests n ****.

Henri18

8.2 is great
Watched a clip by Asmongold yesterday. Sure, not everyone's favourite WoW streamer but he has his moments. I've been hyped for Classic, but what he said resonated: it'll only be a few months before people get bored and move to retail. They're only level 40 on beta or something, and all the guys streaming it do is duel, run WSG, or watch Vanilla videos.

The reasoning actually makes perfect sense: all "new" content in Classic will be stuff people completed 10 years ago. Not even nostalgia can get people through that. Just about everyone who was streaming Classic beta dropped it the moment 8.2 came out.

Well Streamers go off where the most hype / popularity is to get most views. Like variety streamers need to buy the latest games to get views. I know Asmongold cares about views since he once put off a Stream due to low viewer count when he played Metro: Exodus.

So if a new expansion is released for WoW, Twitch Streamers will flock it since its the next big thing and rush to get max level to show off the new content, but then next week on classic, AQ40 is released and streamers will flock to that.

I do agree Retail offers way more content than Vanilla/Classic since the game is literally 15 years old and Blizzard cannot add new things and if they do they will just get backlash.

But I know classic nor retail will die, since it cater for two different groups. And people from private servers will rather have character on official than on private. I got friends that won't play classic at all said its out dated and not needed and then I got friends that is beyond excited and started preparing their leveling routes and plotting their nodes to farm their herbs/ores.

All I know is Activision Blizzard is smiling all the way regardless.

Sk3tz0

Any Local Guild for Vanilla.. Planning on Gank.. I mean Playing a Rogue on a PVP server..

VoodooBean

Afternoon All

If any of you fellow SA players would like to join a PVE / Horde EU guild upon launch then kindly PM and I will send you the link.

The Guild has currently of 60 active people ready for launch aiming to have fun / support each other and raid the end game content as it is released.

Thanks and let me know :)

reverent911

Some of the old Affliction guild members are getting together to form a casual guild for classic. Faction is still undecided but it will most likely be on a PvE server. Anyone is welcome to join the social group on bnet if this interests you.

Join Scrubs

Send me an updated link on this , we are quite a few old Affliction guildies here in CT that would like to join as well
->Knersus

Prawnapple

Expert Member
I'm thinking about playing classic indeed. Not sure if I will or for how long, but I'm definitely up for checking it out.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Well damn. Logged in for the stress test. Right in the feels seeing the OG log in screen and hearing that music again! Game felt really weird, but didn't really fiddle with any settings yet. Graphically it's so dated compared to Retail. Ran around a bit looking for quest mobs - because you have to tag them again or get no XP - yes, for the same faction.

The Voice

Honorary Master
PS: if you've installed Classic, you can log in now. Remember once the stress test is over all characters will be wiped, though. I think character name reservation starts on Monday, too, so while you can't log in and play properly until release, you can at least choose your server and reserve your names (3 max I think). And the old server types are back, too: PvE, PvP and RP-PvP.

poffle

Executive Member
Well damn. Logged in for the stress test. Right in the feels seeing the OG log in screen and hearing that music again! Game felt really weird, but didn't really fiddle with any settings yet. Graphically it's so dated compared to Retail. Ran around a bit looking for quest mobs - because you have to tag them again or get no XP - yes, for the same faction.
that's the only way I know haha, swearing at those po3$ing hunters arcane shotting and tagging every mob in existence.

Can't wait, soon now soon!!

mike.399

With the release of the Realm names, we can finally start voting as a community as to which Realm will be the go-to server for Horde/Ally/PvE/PvP etc.

This discord server: https://discord.gg/Xdj97tR serves as a place for the SA community to discuss all these decisions.

There is also a Google form (questionnaire) where South Africans can vote on their realm choice etc, and view the results of these votes after filling it in.

Please check out the current "Realm By Faction" results first, by using this link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15LKxJsSTWYdblv9THhMfXDXmmBqZVbwg36w5axPYjus/edit?usp=sharing

Then go add to the results by voting yourself. (Your response can be edited at any time by going back to this link) https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...c256K-CWU8yhu9aFDLfp_FOQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Come help grow the SA community and guilds :)

Last edited:

Pitbull

Verboten
Watched a clip by Asmongold yesterday. Sure, not everyone's favourite WoW streamer but he has his moments. I've been hyped for Classic, but what he said resonated: it'll only be a few months before people get bored and move to retail. They're only level 40 on beta or something, and all the guys streaming it do is duel, run WSG, or watch Vanilla videos.

The reasoning actually makes perfect sense: all "new" content in Classic will be stuff people completed 10 years ago. Not even nostalgia can get people through that. Just about everyone who was streaming Classic beta dropped it the moment 8.2 came out.

There was so much to do (Character development wise) that if you do it right, you will have no time for alts, and will be busy leveling cooking, fishing, weapon skills, getting rep for certain factions, leveling skills. Back in Vanilla only people who had alts were the people who built Smurfs. They had no time for multiple characters, unless they didn't really work on development, just leveled to 60 and started again.

I recall having to RUN where you wanted to be for 40 levels. Then have a standard mount till level 60. At level 60 only you got the Epic mount, and then still there was no flying. Only Flight paths which you had to actually discover. I remember the Warlock quest for the Epic mount taking WEEKS to complete for a "Free" Mount.

Farming took ages to get the gold you needed to buy the Epic riding skill. 5k Gold didn't come as easy as it does now...

Last edited: