Are you planning to buy a new laptop?

• Yes

Votes: 98 51.0%
  • No

Votes: 94 49.0%

• Total voters

sand_man

Honorary Master
Nope. Pretty much redundant in our household. I'd buy a new iPad before I bought a laptop.

Matthysdt

Flip-flopping between a Dell G5 and an Asus GL503.

Not considering:
* Gigabyte - too expensive
* MSi - too butt-ugly
* Lenovo - too many online complaints

Matthysdt

Bought a Huawei matebook E with matepen recently as well as an iPad pro with pencil. Digital ink has come a long way.

Oddly Windows 10 is superior with handwriting recognition (built in) whereas the purchased iPad app is good but not quite as good. Apple should really supply handwriting recognition as a standard integrated part of their OS like Win 10 does.
Wow for MS to out-do Apple on handwriting recognition is quite embarrassing.

Milano

Honorary Master
Mac is in a LOT of technical trouble and hopelessly overpriced. I hear mountains of complaints. I will only buy Lenovo or Dell. Excellent reliability and value for money. I'm in the market for a new i7 with large SSD and lots if RAM. (i9 still out of my league at the moment)
It's only when you start researching the specific model that interests you that you find all the pitfalls. I was sold on going Lenovo until I read:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-720-Display-Issue/td-p/3711026/page/67

I followed that thread for quite some time and was not impressed with the way Lenovo kept marking it as solved when it is not the case. I'm sure Lenovo make many reliable models, Dell too, but all companies have issues and sadly for consumers most don't deal with those issues very well.

ThamieZ

Wife’s Dell & my HP got appropriated without compensation by some poor misguided souls form my vehicle.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Just bought a new Lenovo X1 Carbon in January of this year.

Was my first purchase using Aramex (from the US).

Krvn

Yes. Two actually one for me and my wife. We're both due an upgrade. We will be travelling a lot soon, her XPS 13 is broken, 3 years old and needs a motherboard replacement. Not keen for that. My MSI GS60 is over 4 years old and the battery lasts only 15 minutes off charger. I'm also keen for something really light with a touchscreen. Gamin I do on my PS4 and will build a battle station in due time I guess.

Considerations:

Wife:
Huawei MateBook X Pro Signature Edition
Microsoft Surface Laptop 2
HP Spectre X360 13" (Nov 2018)
Dell XPS 13

Me:
Huawei MateBook X Pro Signature Edition
GIGABYTE Aero 15X v8-BK4
Dell XPS 9570
Microsoft Surface Book 2
HP Spectre X360 15" (Nov 2018)
Dell XPS 15

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
End of next year I want to buy a 11 inch or 13 inch laptop with one of the new Ryzen Mobile APUs due to be released next year.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Won't buy another until my current one stops working which will hopefully be several more years.

I followed that thread for quite some time and was not impressed with the way Lenovo kept marking it as solved when it is not the case.
They did the same thing in regard to issues with one of their tablets.

Flashgear

Flashgear
I'm still looking.
PM me or check my threads :)

I’m looking forward to the new Macbook Airs mostly.

I use a MSI GS65 Stealth Thin 8RE, and an XPS 13 9370 whilst traveling. So no need to upgrade till next year.

CrazyBob

Recently bought an ASUS VivoBook S14 for my wife - seriously impressed with the thing for the price (~R13,000). Powerful, ridiculously slim and light, and got a quality feel to it. She only does office-type work, so the i5 8250, 14" 1080p gorgeous screen, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD is plenty fine and should hopefully last a while. Laptops have come a long way since I last bought one in 2007 or so haha.