Are you planning to leave South Africa?

• Yes

Votes: 310 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 207 40.0%

• Total voters

lowriderza

Expert Member
It is always something I'm considering. It is my Plan B though. I have no kids and some serious responsibilities here so I have to stick it out as long as possible.

Botha22

You are so right! This last week has seen a significant increase of crime in my area that is apparently one of the few "safer" areas. Well there were 2 hijackings at gun point. One right outside my freaking front gate by my neighbor and another a few meters up the road. Someone was stabbed while walking and their phone stolen. Dogs poisoned, constant attempted break ins and some successful break ins.

I am in constant fear of driving around alone with no smash and grab. I have been held up and knife point for my personal belongings and vehicle. Luckily I reacted quick and fought back and it scared them off. Thinking back on that it was a bit of a stupid idea as they had the knife to my neck and could have been killed or badly harmed.

I live in a lovely conservation area that I am too afraid to go to anymore. Cycling is out of the question unless in a large group. Being a white woman in this crap hole is a very very scary thought. I try not let it bug me and carry on with my life but we all need to be realistic about what is going on.

As I mentioned before the media fuels this fire to keep all the sheeple dumb and stupid fighting others about skin colour and other irrelevant crap. All the while the government and big boys get away with things the people of South Africa should be dealing with and fighting against. Instead we in a race/tribal war :unsure:
I get the anger with BBBEE, as it is racist. Crime and corruption are out of control. But I don't understand people claiming there is a race war. The statistics do not support that claim. That is why it is unlikely Western countries will start granting asylum to South Africans based on race.

In the present day SA, if you have anything worth stealing you are a potential crime victim, regardless of your skin colour.

skimread

Executive Member
As a white male, there is no future in this country for me. I am part of the most hated minority in the country. What's the point of staying here if me and my tax money aren't wanted anymore?

I live in fear. I fear my family will be murdered for a cellphone or two. I fear someone will harm me and/or take my possessions because there are no repercussions for doing so.
Let's go for a hike! Nope, you'll get stabbed doing that
Let's go for a lovely Sunday drive! Well, don't drive on x and y road, you'll be hijacked for driving there
Let's go for a walk! Nope, you'll get mugged for doing that
Let's use public transport! Nope, that'll earn you a mugging too
What a hot day. Best leave the windows open to cool down! Nope, that's an invitation to have all your possessions stolen
What about a walk to work? Not if you want to keep your laptop
Leave anything on the seat of your car? Nope, that's a clear intention that you don't want it anymore

After having visited the UK, France, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands and Australia recently and seeing how everything "just works" and how people actually obey the law, I've grown tired of having to fight for survival here.

I will be leaving at the earliest opportunity.
SA has such beautiful diverse nature compared to other countries. We should be able to go hiking and camp for days but we are all so scared to go because of crime. It's really a shame. Crime impacting our very human nature resulting in us avoiding the outdoors. This is not reflected in any crime stats. That's what makes it sad.

doonit

I once read Yoweri Moseveni's book "What's Africa's Problem?". He said it's backwardness. He described backwardness as an inability to repair machines,store water, move forward, etc.

At that time I was frequently travelling through Uganda (mid 90's). Back then Uganda's population was at about the 11 mil mark but it's predicted they'll reach 110 mil by 2050. We also will see a major population explosion in that time. That's the bit that scares me the most.

CTPC

At 58 I am considered too old to be of any value to any other country.

Matt91

I get the anger with BBBEE, as it is racist. Crime and corruption are out of control. But I don't understand people claiming there is a race war. The statistics do not support that claim. That is why it is unlikely Western countries will start granting asylum to South Africans based on race.

In the present day SA, if you have anything worth stealing you are a potential crime victim, regardless of your skin colour.
I wouldn't lean too heavily on any crime statistics as it well known that most crime in SA goes unreported.

motlotlegi

Nope. This is my home. Rich or poor, war or peace. I make it work or die trying. I don't have roots in another country

Mystryx

Lack of jobs, future, fair and equal treatment. Lack of accountability on the part of politicians and government agencies

Vik2200

Unfortunately it's something I am really considering while I'm still young. I personally always said I will never leave, but now It's about me wondering about my kids future...

Esbendzn

I would love to however we all dont have the luxury of family living abroad so we can apply for residency permit....also with all the low paying jobs we get..... cant afford to move.... sadly South Africa is like Hotel California....Once you check-in..you can never leave!

SunilK

Getting my kids to study overseas, and should the situation improve in SA will get them back, else will be joining them too!

Tander

Executive Member
I'd like to. But the wife is happy here (She's a British citizen) - so, for now, we're not going anywhere.

Something occurred to me while I was chatting with my wife about all this yesterday.

I registered my interest on the NZ government website a couple weeks ago.
Since then I have been getting regular emails from them with information about NZ, about the job market, about ICT specific jobs, salary ranges, hints and tips. They are actively encouraging me to apply and move.
Contrast that to SA, in which people high up in the ruling party actively want to "cut the throat of whiteness", drive me into the sea, tell me to **** off back to europe, steal my stuff, etc etc etc
Or even to the USA which really doesn't seem to want to encourage immigration at all...

I am really looking forward to living in a country where I am valued and encouraged by the government.
Had this exact realisation as well, when looking at NZ at the beginning of the year.

TonytheNoble1

Too old and not enough money to start afresh in a new country. Don't like Australia, New Zealand, Canada or USA.

Misslera24

Not anytime soon. I need to get a job first and have some savings, then i'll think about moving.