Are you planning to leave South Africa?

• Yes

Votes: 310 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 207 40.0%

• Total voters

Brawler

Executive Member
I've been fence-sitting for years and the decision just keeps on getting harder as I get older (32 now). If you are young and don't have much to hold you back, do it now!
In a lot of ways I have been very fortunate and that has made it very hard to leave. A decent job that I love, a great outdoor lifestyle, family for my little one, hell even education for her is sorted at a top school and uni. I seriously doubt I could get the "total package" I get now if I overseas (not talking $). If I had fokkol I'd be gone tomorrow.

On the other hand, although life is good I can't help but notice what is going on around me. I'm acutely aware of the bubble we are living in. Every measurable aspect of South Africa is going one way and as it goes down people are becoming more desperate and violent (and the cheap politicians feeding on this, fueling the fire). Crime is BAD. A close friend was murdered in his home in 2017 and I basically live a stone throw away from where Uyinene was raped and murdered. S.O. is already too scared to push the pram to the local park.

My gut feeling is that although all is good now (minus crime) if I lose my job we would be in serious trouble once rainy day savings runs out. I work for a rather large organisation and it is as close to impossible as can be to hire white individuals. No matter the skills, qualifications or experience.

So what to do? Take a chance and settle down in SA or leave? Amazing that leaving is deemed less of a risk to me. If we go then where to? Really not fond of UK (Ancestral Visa).

A farkload of people want to leave at the moment. It's the topic of every weekend braai these days :(

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Stop watching the news and Carte Blanche and that will change your world :laugh: Could you get any more rose tinted specs than that!

wbot

I don't even watch the news or Carte Blanche. The country is far worse in real life than it is on tv lol

beans100

Honorary Master
How much does it even cost to emigrate? Total...everything from abridge documents till you walk in to your new home, that side. Don't want to start the journey, only to find that I spent all my money (and time at Home affairs) and can't get a job. Then end up back here with farkall and must start all over here (how embarrassing).
I have heard from some, that the lucky ones gets jobs who pays for everything.....any sponsors???:)

cguy

Executive Member
How much does it even cost to emigrate? Total...everything from abridge documents till you walk in to your new home, that side. Don't want to start the journey, only to find that I spent all my money (and time at Home affairs) and can't get a job. Then end up back here with farkall and must start all over here (how embarrassing).
I have heard from some, that the lucky ones gets jobs who pays for everything.....any sponsors???:)
I was one of the “lucky” ones who got fully sponsored. Plane, visas, housing for a month, moving costs and a good sized stipend. Something to be aware of is that this usually comes with the caveat that you require sponsorship to stay in the country, which means your entire notion of “home” depends entirely on how your new job pans out.

It worked out for me, although I did have to take a lot of BS because of my non-permanent status for a few years. I highly recommend going on a visa that allows you to move freely if the option is available.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Costs very much depend on where you go, how you go, etc.

As an example, a new zealand immigration consultant to get the family through to permanent residence is about 70k (you can diy though but they know the intricacies)
Plus

Visa costs in the region of 50k

Police clearance r114
English language test about r3k each if required
Unabridged birth certificates and marriage certificates a few hundred bucks
New Zealand qualification assessment R7k per person

Then there's actual moving costs. Depends how much you move. I'm budgeting 200k or so.
Pets at least 40k each

cguy

Executive Member
^^^ on the above, one should also consider the salary differential when you move. If you’ve got a great offer, or have a reasonable expectation of a great offer, R200k probably won’t be all that bad.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
^^^ on the above, one should also consider the salary differential when you move. If you’ve got a great offer, or have a reasonable expectation of a great offer, R200k probably won’t be all that bad.
The 200 is over and above the other costs

I'm not moving for money. I'm moving for quality of life.

Matt91

I've been fence-sitting for years and the decision just keeps on getting harder as I get older (32 now). If you are young and don't have much to hold you back, do it now!
In a lot of ways I have been very fortunate and that has made it very hard to leave. A decent job that I love, a great outdoor lifestyle, family for my little one, hell even education for her is sorted at a top school and uni. I seriously doubt I could get the "total package" I get now if I overseas (not talking $). If I had fokkol I'd be gone tomorrow.

On the other hand, although life is good I can't help but notice what is going on around me. I'm acutely aware of the bubble we are living in. Every measurable aspect of South Africa is going one way and as it goes down people are becoming more desperate and violent (and the cheap politicians feeding on this, fueling the fire). Crime is BAD. A close friend was murdered in his home in 2017 and I basically live a stone throw away from where Uyinene was raped and murdered. S.O. is already too scared to push the pram to the local park.

My gut feeling is that although all is good now (minus crime) if I lose my job we would be in serious trouble once rainy day savings runs out. I work for a rather large organisation and it is as close to impossible as can be to hire white individuals. No matter the skills, qualifications or experience.

So what to do? Take a chance and settle down in SA or leave? Amazing that leaving is deemed less of a risk to me. If we go then where to? Really not fond of UK (Ancestral Visa).

A farkload of people want to leave at the moment. It's the topic of every weekend braai these days :(
I have close family in a similar boat to you, both are earning +60K each a month, great jobs, beautiful house, nice cars & plenty spare cash for whatever. They are leaving in January because my cousin is a British citizen and her husband managed to get a transfer to Bristol, UK.

They're doing it for their son who is now about a year old - they've thought about just riding it out and hoping for the best in future but they know that's riding on a wing and prayer. In a sense we are lucky because we are going to be doing our move as a giant family unit (7 or 8 of us) since we're all Brits by descent which should make it easier because we will have a family support network from the get go.

I'm nervous because it's all going to be a first for me, I've never traveled outside of SA, but my reasons are for better opportunities and I'd like to do more travelling. I'd be walking away from a comfortable job and salary so i also have my reservations, but I do feel like SA is a ticking bomb and the future here is very uncertain -I know if I had a kid it would be a no-brainer for me, I'd have left ages ago.

So I guess you need to figure out if staying would be worthwhile in the long run or not.

cguy

Executive Member
The 200 is over and above the other costs

I'm not moving for money. I'm moving for quality of life.
Oh, yeah. I meant that for the other poster who was concerned about the price. Some people will get put off by the exorbitant sounding costs, but not factor that in the new country, it may just be 1-3 months salary.

vic777

Expert Member
I left for Europe, gave up having two cars and a big house for a smaller house, 1 second hand car and three bicycles. Great job opportunities, safe to walk around at night and I don't stress if I forget to lock my door. I have a kid, the decision is a no brainer

wbot

and I don't stress if I forget to lock my door.
As a SAfrican even if I move to the safest, most crime-free country/city in the world, I will always lock my doors and keep them locked at all times, close windows at night and probably install trellidoors and stuff as well. Won't ever get too comfortable and carefree.

Thanks SA!

ADRAM3L3CH

My wife and I are seriously considering New Zealand. I have Family and friends there already so that helps.
Done a lot of research so far and hopefully by the end of next year we will be in NZ.

The driving factor is the safety of our two babies (under 3), we have already had inccidents where someone tried to take our son away ! Just popping by the local garage for bread has become damn stressful.

I'm willing to live in a smaller house, drive a second hand car just so my kids will have a better and safer life.
You cant even send your kid to university here without worrying about their safety , not to mention that finding a job would be another mission for them since their surname is not Mkize.

Milano

Honorary Master
The entire world is in crisis.
Not accurate but hypothetically let us say yes the entire world without any exceptions is in crisis. Which countries have the best odds of getting through this global crisis? Do you believe it is the one with near zero growth, 30% unemployment, extremely high crime and anti-business policies?

Any global crisis further supports the argument in favour of emigration since SA has already orchestrated multiple local economic policy failures that only show it is therefore likely to suffer the most in any global crisis.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Something occurred to me while I was chatting with my wife about all this yesterday.

I registered my interest on the NZ government website a couple weeks ago.
Since then I have been getting regular emails from them with information about NZ, about the job market, about ICT specific jobs, salary ranges, hints and tips. They are actively encouraging me to apply and move.
Contrast that to SA, in which people high up in the ruling party actively want to "cut the throat of whiteness", drive me into the sea, tell me to **** off back to europe, steal my stuff, etc etc etc
Or even to the USA which really doesn't seem to want to encourage immigration at all...

I am really looking forward to living in a country where I am valued and encouraged by the government.

Milano

Honorary Master
Something occurred to me while I was chatting with my wife about all this yesterday.

I registered my interest on the NZ government website a couple weeks ago.
Since then I have been getting regular emails from them with information about NZ, about the job market, about ICT specific jobs, salary ranges, hints and tips. They are actively encouraging me to apply and move.
Contrast that to SA, in which people high up in the ruling party actively want to "cut the throat of whiteness", drive me into the sea, tell me to **** off back to europe, steal my stuff, etc etc etc
Or even to the USA which really doesn't seem to want to encourage immigration at all...

I am really looking forward to living in a country where I am valued and encouraged by the government.
The SA government always remembers you at income tax time.

One can expect them to be way more hostile once they no longer rely so heavily on one group's income tax payments.

TechGirl04

Yes, we were going to move from JHB to CT, but we have recently decided to start the process of immigrating to Canada. Our degrees are on their way to WES for verification and we are planning a visit in Feb next year for confirmation.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Out of interest why do some people prefer NZ over Australia here? NZ just seems like the smaller cousin of Australia :p