Are you thinking of emigrating?

Are you thinking of emigrating, in the process of emigrating or have you already left South Africa?

• I am in the process of emigrating

Votes: 42 13.3%
  • No, I will never leave South Africa

Votes: 31 9.8%
  • I have already left the country

Votes: 24 7.6%
  • I want to leave, but don't have the means

Votes: 88 27.9%
  • I am thinking about leaving, but not actively pursuing it at this time

Votes: 130 41.3%

• Total voters

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
had a LSD trip to New Zealand booked and fully paid for ... just before everything went lockdown

so that got cancelled and here I am still with no idea when things will normalise enough to even travel and check a country out

so: I effectively "don't have the means" as travel restrictions and closed visa processes are out of my control

krycor

Honorary Master
Admire your confidence but you sound like the “I’m not worried about Covid because I’m healthy” people.

Not really.. I suspect it will be harder the longer we wait hence constantly learning extra things. I wish I was confident like most people on here are but I’m not.. but when you live in SA and scrape a career against all odds then you learn a thing or two about resilience.

Make no mistake, grass is not greener on the other side(the initial 2yrs will be rough esp with those tax changes) and demand is continually changing from what I’ve seen over the last 3-4yrs I’ve been watching (and went thru usual hiring gauntlet).

I don’t expect the emigration to be easy either but sadly life is complicated. If I was single or even just the kid was my own, we’d have left 6-3yrs ago. That’s not the cards I’ve been dealt.

Ps. We took the vaccine because we prefer reducing risks.

Brian_G

Executive Member
Will only leave if anc goes far too far, and then just to a neighbouring country. Certainly not interested in flying for any reason again.

superlekkerza

Nah, don't see the reason to leave SA. SA's absolutely fine. In fact, everything keeps improving here. Housing. Economy, ...etc.Look at the big picture. SA is far better than what it was 10 years ago. Never mind 20 years ago.

Affieplaas

Have family in Canada and I consulted a Canadian Immigration lawyer in 2018 when we last visited.
In short, if you are older than 40 forget about it. Not gonna happen. The only way in is if you find a Canadian Company who is willing to sponsor you. I then set up discussions with a few while out there and there response was the same, sorry not going to happen. I also took a trip to the US but I doubt I will be able to live there, my wife even less. Truth be told, we would not be able to leave our parents (all in their 70's) here and there is no way that they will be able to go along.

I know of many people who have left and eventually return, so SA cannot be all bad.

We know the ANC is useless. To me that is a good thing. They are brilliant at "coming up with the next great plan" but that is where it stops. Sure service delivery suffers but many towns/ folks in SA are already sidestepping government/municipal services and doing things themselves. Even here in CPT the municipality simply does not maintain the sidewalks in our area to an acceptable standard and our community all chip in to do it ourselves.

The big risk for SA is if a party like the EFF takes over. They have a potent combination of hatefulness and idiocy that they will drag SA into a Venezuela position.

static_sa

Expert Member
I'd like to travel while working remotely.

Sort of a try before you buy kind of thing

superlekkerza

Have family in Canada and I consulted a Canadian Immigration lawyer in 2018 when we last visited.
In short, if you are older than 40 forget about it. Not gonna happen. The only way in is if you find a Canadian Company who is willing to sponsor you. I then set up discussions with a few while out there and there response was the same, sorry not going to happen. I also took a trip to the US but I doubt I will be able to live there, my wife even less. Truth be told, we would not be able to leave our parents (all in their 70's) here and there is no way that they will be able to go along.

I know of many people who have left and eventually return, so SA cannot be all bad.

We know the ANC is useless. To me that is a good thing. They are brilliant at "coming up with the next great plan" but that is where it stops. Sure service delivery suffers but many towns/ folks in SA are already sidestepping government/municipal services and doing things themselves. Even here in CPT the municipality simply does not maintain the sidewalks in our area to an acceptable standard and our community all chip in to do it ourselves.

The big risk for SA is if a party like the EFF takes over. They have a potent combination of hatefulness and idiocy that they will drag SA into a Venezuela position.

Zero chance of that happening in the future

Thestealth

Expert Member
I don't think I'll leave but I can't help but wonder if the grass is really greener on the other side.

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
I don't think I'll leave but I can't help but wonder if the grass is really greener on the other side.
It isn't
Its trading one lump of feces for another.

The thing with South Africa is that it sucks balls... the people here irritate me to no end and then you have the ANC with their tax-people-to-the-hilt attitude. So you pay tax for nothing in return. Rampant corruption, and worthless currency.

Every country has its problems, but overall its about this. You will be trading this schitthole for something else which you will often find far better, even though there may be ridiculous laws on the other side.

For example:

* You pay more tax but the government looks after its people so you don't have to waste all your disposable income (or what little is left of it) on security because the police are not useless or corrupt.
* Things work like they're supposed to so you don't have additional/hidden taxes sapping your wallet
* Public transport works so you don't pay through your arse for fuel that is 30% ANC trough feeding now
* Healthcare is in some countries, free, along with primary and secondary education, so yet another drain on your wallet is just not present.
* And you're far less likely to have a criminal burst through your window to rob you while you are at home.
* And of course, nearly zero chance of looting

Affieplaas

No intention of leaving. Live a comfortable life and enjoy the sun too much.
If I compare our lifestyle (my wife, myself and child) with that of our family in Canada, we are honestly no worse off than them, and they are both professional individuals with very good jobs. Each country has its own issues.

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
If I compare our lifestyle (my wife, myself and child) with that of our family in Canada, we are honestly no worse off than them, and they are both professional individuals with very good jobs. Each country has its own issues.
Well for a start they don't have loadshedding.
They don't have perpetual face diapering as far as I know
They don't have lazy AF useless deadbeats in massive numbers living off grants
They don't have discrimination in the workplace or BEE to contend with

Priapus

Executive Member

That it does. But I am happy here, so I'll stay. There are nicer places in the world and those nicer places also have their own issues. No where is perfect and life is what you make it.

I go to the UK often and once stayed there for 5 years. Been to the US (NYC, SF, Vegas) and some of those places are nice too. But nah... SA is my home.

The_MAC

Executive Member
6) Have the means, not thinking about leaving

All our passports are valid, kids citizenship is sorted - this is our emergency plan, but we will stay as long as our lives are not in imminent danger and we are still employed.

eg2505

Honorary Master
actively thinking of it, but not planning to right now at this point in time.

have a secondary passport, can use it whenever I want to, its a plan B admittedly
despite all my bashing of the ANC and the decline in an otherwise Excellent country,

even with everything going on, id rather be in SA and get Mugged, than Run into a Bomb shelter
and hope and pray some automatic system doesn't fail me and let a Missile land on my House.

also, that place, despite all the prices skyrocketing in SA, its STILL Cheaper then there.
so you give and take, although if it goes full Zim and EWC, time to use that passport.