Are you thinking of emigrating?

Are you thinking of emigrating, in the process of emigrating or have you already left South Africa?

• I am in the process of emigrating

Votes: 42 13.3%
  • No, I will never leave South Africa

Votes: 31 9.8%
  • I have already left the country

Votes: 24 7.6%
  • I want to leave, but don't have the means

Votes: 88 27.9%
  • I am thinking about leaving, but not actively pursuing it at this time

Votes: 130 41.3%

• Total voters

Superman-7

Will only leave if anc goes far too far, and then just to a neighbouring country. Certainly not interested in flying for any reason again.

'Far too far' is relative to the present day.

Unless one can define 'too far' in actual terms, one's own goalposts will continually move.

Djin

We've left 3 years ago, but only because our kids were under 10 at the time. If we didn't have kids I don't we would have made the sacrifice. I still miss the good times we've had in SA with our close circle of friends and miss family the most. That's the hardest part.
Unfortunately we don't have dual citizenship to fall back on so we had to make the tough choice of uprooting while the going was good.

I don't think it's all doom and gloom, however the recent looting in KZN really scared me. Things can take a turn really quickly, thankfully it turned around just as quick. But still ...

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
If I compare our lifestyle (my wife, myself and child) with that of our family in Canada, we are honestly no worse off than them, and they are both professional individuals with very good jobs. Each country has its own issues.

I'm willing to bet they can take a trip to europe and have it eat a lot less of their savings, seeing as their currency isn't shite.

The longer you stay, the larger the gap that you need fill in pension.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
We've left 3 years ago, but only because our kids were under 10 at the time. If we didn't have kids I don't we would have made the sacrifice. I still miss the good times we've had in SA with our close circle of friends and miss family the most. That's the hardest part.
Unfortunately we don't have dual citizenship to fall back on so we had to make the tough choice of uprooting while the going was good.

I don't think it's all doom and gloom, however the recent looting in KZN really scared me. Things can take a turn really quickly, thankfully it turned around just as quick. But still ...

Understand and my reason for wanting to leave last year, my kids. Just did not work out so instead, I'm enabling my kids to rather leave when they are older.

Sanzer

I was actively considering it but now I am. Covid and the lockdown in NZ and Aus is not helping the process though.

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and came back to SA. No thanks, the grass may seem greener on the other side, the truth of the matter is that there's no way you can live the same lifestyle overseas for the same amount of money.
That is why many come back. If your goal is not lifestyle, but rather about safety, security and other reasons, then it kind of makes a valid argument.

What actually happens is most South Africans go overseas and find there's no such thing as domestic workers, so they have to clean up after their arses and their spoilt brat kids and this makes them miserable. Then they also find that their culture is not widely accepted in the new country and that a person can't behave like an animal when you're drunk like you can in SA.

Priapus

Executive Member
6) Have the means, not thinking about leaving

All our passports are valid, kids citizenship is sorted - this is our emergency plan, but we will stay as long as our lives are not in imminent danger and we are still employed.

Pretty much this. Wife is a British Citizen. She's been in SA for 5 yers and we have the option to go back. Just have no intention of doing so.

Djin

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and came back to SA. No thanks, the grass may seem greener on the other side, the truth of the matter is that there's no way you can live the same lifestyle overseas for the same amount of money.
That's a very broad statement? Overseas is basically the rest of the world. You saying there is nowhere in the world that you could live and maintain the same lifestyle?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Why would you only earn the same amount though?

I don't care how much you earn, the cost of living in first-world countries is astronomical compared to South Africa. I always laugh when people who've never lived overseas complain about how expensive it is to live in South Africa and somehow think it's going to be cheaper to live overseas.

Djin

Understand and my reason for wanting to leave last year, my kids. Just did not work out so instead, I'm enabling my kids to rather leave when they are older.
That was the discussion myself and the SO had. We either bite the bullet now, and go WITH the kids or, we stay and say goodbye to them 10 years from now when they leave the country.

I'm sorry things didn't work out on your side, it's not going to be an easy thing to do.

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
I don't care how much you earn, the cost of living in first-world countries is astronomical compared to South Africa. I always laugh when people who've never lived overseas complain about how expensive it is to live in South Africa and somehow think it's going to be cheaper to live overseas.
I think you need to read @Voicy 's posts.
I also have traveled you know, so I know what it costs, sort of.

Superman-7

Lots of Saffers make this mistake of expecting the same lifestyle. Depends on where you go, but your journey is doomed even before it begins if you have this mindset.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I respectfully disagree.

Some stuff is more expensive. Some is a lot cheaper.

Life sure is cheap in SA though

koeks525

Expert Member
Nah, don't see the reason to leave SA. SA's absolutely fine. In fact, everything keeps improving here. Housing. Economy, ...etc.Look at the big picture. SA is far better than what it was 10 years ago. Never mind 20 years ago.

I can agree with this statement. South Africa is not as bad as the media paints it to be. Interestingly, the media doesn't report on the number of South Africans who end up returning to South Africa. The other interesting part is some S'Africans get a shock of their life when they learn they lost their South African citizenship.

Personally, I don't think the grass is always greener on the other side. Each country has its fair share of problems. Some "SA problems" are also problems in other, well-developed countries (corruption, high youth unemployment, crime, protests, mass shootings, etc). I also don't think "better pay", "more opportunities", or "better public services" are always valid reasons to emigrate (at least for me). If I were to emigrate, it would only be because I want to live, work, learn and experience living in other parts of the world, not because SA is "sinking" (according to the media houses and 'experts').

Last edited: