Are you thinking of emigrating?

Are you thinking of emigrating, in the process of emigrating or have you already left South Africa?

• I am in the process of emigrating

Votes: 42 13.3%
  • No, I will never leave South Africa

Votes: 31 9.8%
  • I have already left the country

Votes: 24 7.6%
  • I want to leave, but don't have the means

Votes: 88 27.9%
  • I am thinking about leaving, but not actively pursuing it at this time

Votes: 130 41.3%

• Total voters

Superman-7

I can agree with this statement as well. South Africa is not as bad as the media paints it to be. Interestingly, the media doesn't report on the number of South Africans who end up returning to South Africa. The other interesting part is some S'Africans get a shock of their life when they learn they lost their South African citizenship.

Personally, I don't think the grass is always greener on the other side. Each country has its fair share of problems. Some "SA problems" are also problems in other, well-developed countries (corruption, high youth unemployment, crime, protests, mass shootings, etc). I also don't think "better pay", "more opportunities", or "better public services" are always valid reasons to emigrate (at least for me). If I were to emigrate, it would only be because I want to live, work, learn and experience living in other parts of the world, not because SA is "sinking" (according to the media houses and 'experts').

It's not about leaving to go live somewhere where everything is perfect. Once again, if that's what people think expats do, then I understand why you feel enlightened to proclaim that you choose to stay.

Really, it's about choosing what issues you are willing to tolerate.

Anecdotally know of a number of South Africans who returned to SA after 5/10 years abroad, and immediately regretted their decision.

Regardless, I applaud people who stay despite having the means to go. Leaving, much like staying, is tough.

Last edited:

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
I can agree with this statement as well. South Africa is not as bad as the media paints it to be. Interestingly, the media doesn't report on the number of South Africans who end up returning to South Africa. The other interesting part is some S'Africans get a shock of their life when they learn they lost their South African citizenship.

Personally, I don't think the grass is always greener on the other side. Each country has its fair share of problems. Some "SA problems" are also problems in other, well-developed countries (corruption, high youth unemployment, crime, protests, mass shootings, etc). I also don't think "better pay", "more opportunities", or "better public services" are always valid reasons to emigrate (at least for me). If I were to emigrate, it would only be because I want to live, work, learn and experience living in other parts of the world, not because SA is "sinking" (according to the media houses and 'experts').

There's 1 direction an insolvent company,that decides to acquire more debt,and double down on expenses has with little prospect on miraculously winning the lottery,while fobbing off investors. That direction is not "Up"

Wary GOM

Expert Member
Only really staying for my mom (who refuses to leave this place) and my dogs....Otherwise I would have left some time ago....
Staying because of my age and my dogs, otherwise would probably be thinking seriously of doing so.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
I don't care how much you earn, the cost of living in first-world countries is astronomical compared to South Africa. I always laugh when people who've never lived overseas complain about how expensive it is to live in South Africa and somehow think it's going to be cheaper to live overseas.
Nonsense...that is why you have something called a budget. We have a detailed budget and know exactly what it will cost us and our 2 children to live overseas.

If you emigrate and then are surprised by living costs, you are a moron.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Lots of Saffers make this mistake of expecting the same lifestyle. Depends on where you go, but your journey is doomed even before it begins if you have this mindset.

What lifestyle are you talking about? And why is it doomed before it begins?

JohnMao

Executive Member
I am thinking about leaving, but not actively pursuing it at this time.

Man this has been wrecking my brain for years and the indecision has probably cost me already (34yo).
I can get into England on ancestral visa but as much as l love spending time there on holiday I could never live there. The other countries I want to go to have got ridiculously strict entry requirements and I am not sure I will make it even though I do have degree + certs + experience and I do not want to waste money trying.

Having a young child does not help.
One needs to decide stay in SA and let them see their family but then leave you behind when they leave when they graduate or leave the family behind now and go with them. Really sucky conundrum for those who have a good family.
We've made the decision and are looking at the next 2 years. Our kids are 11 & 8. They have friends and family, as do we.
Do they have a future? Not sure right now (being white & all). Will they leave the country and leave us behind? Probably. Or will we be able to fund their education overseas if they're excluded here (and they're both very bright). Answer: No.

Our decision is based on our kids and their children they'll have one day. It's tough really, not an easy decision to make.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
That was the discussion myself and the SO had. We either bite the bullet now, and go WITH the kids or, we stay and say goodbye to them 10 years from now when they leave the country.

I'm sorry things didn't work out on your side, it's not going to be an easy thing to do.

True about saying goodbye.

I've not written off the leaving, just accepting what happens if I don't. The middle ground option is leaving with kids as adults but knowing I will have to return.

At least that way I can help them settle down and plant some roots before I return to retire.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I can agree with this statement. South Africa is not as bad as the media paints it to be. Interestingly, the media doesn't report on the number of South Africans who end up returning to South Africa. The other interesting part is some S'Africans get a shock of their life when they learn they lost their South African citizenship.

You cannot lose your South African citizenship. That is unconstitutional.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Well for a start they don't have loadshedding.
They don't have perpetual face diapering as far as I know
They don't have lazy AF useless deadbeats in massive numbers living off grants
They don't have discrimination in the workplace or BEE to contend with

Don’t get too excited there.

All their drama and uprising with the native population and their imperial rule etc I wouldn’t be surprised if they have their own BEE in the next five years.

46Female

Expert Member
im am 46 now I cant get into certain countries like Australia but I plan on leaving the country

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I don't think I'll leave but I can't help but wonder if the grass is really greener on the other side.
Depends on the type of grass you prefer.

If you "run away" from SA you are going to miss the good of SA and just be a different type of miserable. Do your homework, move to a new country and embrace their culture and you'll be fine.

Just don't be one of those annoying "saffas" waving the SA flag and doing their "proudly South African" bullshit every chance they get. It's like witnessing an East Rand family get together except it's Europe.

Last edited:

koeks525

Expert Member
You cannot lose your South African citizenship. That is unconstitutional.

It is underhanded, but perfectly legal. If you fail to apply for retention of your SA citizenship before acquisition of foreign citizenship, you automatically lose your SA citizenship, on acquisition of foreign citizenship. Was surprised seeing returning South Africans getting shocked from that.

Dave

Honorary Master
It is underhanded, but perfectly legal. If you fail to apply for retention of your SA citizenship before acquisition of foreign citizenship, you automatically lose your SA citizenship, on acquisition of foreign citizenship. Was surprised seeing returning South Africans getting shocked from that.

Though if returning they can land with permanent residence and then make application for the resumption of citizenship.

NB. It should be mentioned that South African citizens by birth, who automatically lost their South African citizenship, never lose their right to Permanent Residence in South Africa. Should they permanently return to South Africa, they will be able to apply for the resumption of their South African citizenship from within the Country.

Mirai

Expert Member
What if the EU country you emigrated from still thinks you're their permanent resident? Hmmm.... That option should still be there.

koeks525

Expert Member
Though if returning they can land with permanent residence and then make application for the resumption of citizenship.

Hehehe, thanks for the additional info.

I have wondered how would the SA Government know to strip you of your citizenship? Would it be from not renewing your SA passport, or not entering other countries on SA passport, or not filing SA tax returns, etc?

Dave

Honorary Master
Hehehe, thanks for the additional info.

I have wondered how would the SA Government know to strip you of your citizenship? Would it be from not renewing your SA passport, or not entering other countries on SA passport, or not filing SA tax returns, etc?

From what I’ve read it’s normally when the person tries to renew their SA passport whilst abroad. There is a determination of citizenship requirement.

cguy

Executive Member
This thread has a few “All countries have their problems” arguments against leaving. I wonder how many realize that this is just a fallacy that discounts basic quantitative reasoning.

It’s like saying “We all gotta die someday”, before doing something really stupid.