Are you thinking of emigrating?

Are you thinking of emigrating, in the process of emigrating or have you already left South Africa?

• I am in the process of emigrating

Votes: 42 13.3%
  • No, I will never leave South Africa

Votes: 31 9.8%
  • I have already left the country

Votes: 24 7.6%
  • I want to leave, but don't have the means

Votes: 88 27.9%
  • I am thinking about leaving, but not actively pursuing it at this time

Votes: 130 41.3%

• Total voters

AdrianH

Expert Member
This is how it works....

While in SA and you haven't made up your mind to leave and started the process, you find reasons why SA isn't so bad and you can stay. As soon as you make a real decision to leave and start the process of leaving, you find plenty of reasons to not stay in SA.

I think it's a human thing!

Surv0

Executive Member
This thread has a few “All countries have their problems” arguments against leaving. I wonder how many realize that this is just a fallacy that discounts basic quantitative reasoning.

It’s like saying “We all gotta die someday”, before doing something really stupid.
If you couldnt leave, wouldnt you try find fault on 'the other side' to help justify to yourself that staying isn't that bad? I think its natural, knee jerky..

semaphore

Honorary Master
M
If you couldnt leave, wouldnt you try find fault on 'the other side' to help justify to yourself that staying isn't that bad? I think its natural, knee jerky..
I’d be a hobo in a European country over staying in SA.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Status Quo Bias, I think.

cguy

Executive Member
Yeah, but I’d figure out a cunning way to lie to myself using statistics rather than a clearly nonsensical trope. :)

azbob

Honorary Master

Or maybe, and I know this might be hard to believe, some people really don’t want to leave.

Surv0

Executive Member
Or maybe, and I know this might be hard to believe, some people really don’t want to leave.

Totally possible... but then you wouldn't be trying to find fault elsewhere to justify your choice. If your reasoning is staying because of the "grass is not apparently greener", its pretty silly. Staying because of things in SA is however a different story all together.

If you feel that life in any of the main stream emigration countries is not much better, well that's just an education issue.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
If you feel that life in any of the main stream emigration countries is not much better, well that's just an education issue.

Life can be pretty grim in a cold and grey European country with super expensive housing costs and long commutes on the "working public transport" if you are not a high income earner.

To say life can't be better in SA than somewhere else is the educational issue. What's life? It's more than "I do t live in fear for my life and my taxes are working for me".

Surv0

Executive Member
Life can be pretty grim in a cold and grey European country with super expensive housing costs and long commutes on the "working public transport" if you are not a high income earner.

To say life can't be better in SA than somewhere else is the educational issue. What's life? It's more than "I do t live in fear for my life and my taxes are working for me".

Yeah, you've seen life in a remote Siberian town? I would definitely rather opt for SA over that... Some crazy living conditions out there... I'm sure we can find a few more that should help the decision along. Definitely dont need satefy and tax related benefits to enjoy your life... Guess life is as relative as you chose it to be.

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
Safety is better in most parts of the world compared to SA but one of the reasons people may also prefer to stay in SA is due to the freedom of movement, easily accessible natural surroundings, and friendliness of people. There are plenty of rude people in SA but as a whole, we are generally friendlier than people from most other countries.

RedViking

Nord of the South
If I was still single, had no family to take care of.... I would be somewhere on a Filipino island, sipping juice out of a coconut waiting for the electricity to come back on again after a typhoon flooded my house.

cguy

Executive Member

Yeah, but you’re missing the any in his comment (EDIT: in rereading it, the comment is actually ambiguous). It’s really hard to believe that for most life won’t be better given that choice.

There are, however, plenty of simple, perfectly valid reasons to choose to stay in SA, such as “this is where I can speak my first language”, “this is where my family and friends are”, “I have a niche job here”, “I don’t do well with change”, “It’s too late to start again”, “I don’t fit in with foreigners”, etc.

It’s good to see the above, less good to hear about how the country is a write off because the police show up when they heard someone changed their own lightbulb.

Last edited:

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
This forum is proof of it. Deep inside we all get along.

One of the things SA got right as well is religious freedoms. Some expats living here are surprised to see Churches, Mosques and Temples on adjacent or on the same road. It's unthinkable in many countries.

RedViking

Nord of the South
im am 46 now I cant get into certain countries like Australia but I plan on leaving the country
A couple more of those midnight strolls and you might be leaving sooner than later. I pretty sure there is steak, eggs and chips in the other side.

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
This forum is proof of it. Deep inside we all get along.

I would not say we get along healthily but we get along enough to get things done and have positive interactions on a daily basis. I have a healthily relationship one one of my managers and we laugh and joke together when working and have a healthy working relationship but after getting to know him more, discovered he's a racist prick.

I think many South African's are in situations like this. I can work well the guy but we probably would not be able to be friends. People abroad tend to be more blunt and so you can't even have healthy working relationships with them.

Last edited:

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
im am 46 now I cant get into certain countries like Australia but I plan on leaving the country

Your best bet is probably to take an English teaching job somewhere. It probably won't get you citizenship but it will allow you to spend years abroad.

s0lar

Expert Member
I have set myself up to do so. My employer overseas is keen to have and assist me to emigrate. Door is open. Most likely will take the jump in a year or two.