Are you thinking of emigrating?

Are you thinking of emigrating, in the process of emigrating or have you already left South Africa?

• I am in the process of emigrating

Votes: 42 13.3%
  • No, I will never leave South Africa

Votes: 31 9.8%
  • I have already left the country

Votes: 24 7.6%
  • I want to leave, but don't have the means

Votes: 88 27.9%
  • I am thinking about leaving, but not actively pursuing it at this time

Votes: 130 41.3%

• Total voters

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Yeah, you've seen life in a remote Siberian town? I would definitely rather opt for SA over that... Some crazy living conditions out there... I'm sure we can find a few more that should help the decision along. Definitely dont need satefy and tax related benefits to enjoy your life... Guess life is as relative as you chose it to be.
Who TF is emigrating there?

I'm moving here...

1631799522083.png

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Safety is better in most parts of the world compared to SA but one of the reasons people may also prefer to stay in SA is due to the freedom of movement, easily accessible natural surroundings, and friendliness of people. There are plenty of rude people in SA but as a whole, we are generally friendlier than people from most other countries.
When you live in Europe, you have REAL freedom of movement...what are you talking about in terms of South Africa?

People are friendly and rude all over the world...this sunny skies and braaivleis culture of South Africa is a myth perpetuated by beer adverts.

We all braai and drink at home behind electrified fences and barbed wire.

Last edited:

JohnMao

Executive Member
Off to The Netherlands June 2022....cannot wait. Kids already enrolled in schools and learning Dutch.

Doing it solely for their futures which have brightened dramatically...
As in studying remotely already? If so, that's hectic. Well done to them! And to you as parents as home schooling is bloody hard.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
As in studying remotely already? If so, that's hectic. Well done to them! And to you as parents as home schooling is bloody hard.
Kids are enrolled in schools and will start there next year when we land. The school system in The Netherlands is extremely complicated and detailed, so we used an agency to find the right schools for our children, who due to their ages, will be going to different schools.

We have also found them a Dutch teacher who is tutoring them in Dutch and preparing them for school when they get there. So they have online classes with her during the week after the get back from their school and sports here.

azbob

Honorary Master
Absolutely. Between 2013 and 2018 I worked for an Austrian who was the most negative person you can come across. He made me want to leave SA. In 2018 I almost did. My mindset just saw everything bad in SA.

Bid or buy?

Milano

Honorary Master
It is common to have quite a high degree of bias towards one's own country. But in reality it is mostly South Africans who believe South Africans are friendly. If you read non-South African sources across the internet then for obvious reasons South Africa is not a particularly popular travel destination among non-African travellers. Then even among those who have traveled Africa it is always Tanzania and Kenya that are traveller favourites. And who would be surprised by that? Those massive welcoming smiles in spite of their challenges versus the massive sourpuss faces in SA. And there is something endearing about people who do not intend raping your companions and slitting your throats.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Safety is better in most parts of the world compared to SA but one of the reasons people may also prefer to stay in SA is due to the freedom of movement, easily accessible natural surroundings, and friendliness of people. There are plenty of rude people in SA but as a whole, we are generally friendlier than people from most other countries.
I get the impression you haven't travelled extensively. Fair enough but your impression is based on tourists visiting SA who are hardly representative of their neighbours back in their home countries.

BTW - freedom of movement? You know that is an illusion at the moment, right?

koeks525

Expert Member
I had a bottle of wine last night to celebrate the arrival of my Canadian passport and citizenship certificate. If I do leave, it'll only because I want to experience living 'differently'.

Jola

Honorary Master
If I compare our lifestyle (my wife, myself and child) with that of our family in Canada, we are honestly no worse off than them, and they are both professional individuals with very good jobs. Each country has its own issues.

Hmm, don't know, my son left for Canada last year, and I believe that he is way better off there.

For starters, the risk of being murdered by a housebreaker is significantly less.

Jola

Honorary Master
You cannot lose your South African citizenship. That is unconstitutional.

DHA will not renew your passport if you get another passport without asking for permission to have dual citizenship first.

I know of cases where this happened to people living overseas.

Milano

Honorary Master
The processes for applying for retention of citizenship are deeply flawed. This is a challenge our office deals with regularly. Home affairs has stated that the application process takes four weeks, whereas in practice it could take six to 12 months before the Covid-19 pandemic. Since the onset of the pandemic, the department has not processed these applications at all. In short, while the act provides for them to apply for retention of their citizenship, they cannot do so now.
So typical of the uselessness of this government.

twr

Expert Member
DHA will not renew your passport if you get another passport without asking for permission to have dual citizenship first.

I know of cases where this happened to people living overseas.
Does anyone know where I get actual confirmation if I need to apply for retention of my sa citizenship

I am eligible for a Mauritian passport by descent (my parents were born in Mauritius) I was born here in sa .

So from what I've read I don't need to as I get the passport by descent and I am not Aquiring citizenship but only the passport..

I don't want to have to find out later that they won't renew my sa one because I didn't ask for retenship.

I also read it depends on what country you aquring the passport from?

cguy

Executive Member
Does anyone know where I get actual confirmation if I need to apply for retention of my sa citizenship

I am eligible for a Mauritian passport by descent (my parents were born in Mauritius) I was born here in sa .

So from what I've read I don't need to as I get the passport by descent and I am not Aquiring citizenship but only the passport..

I don't want to have to find out later that they won't renew my sa one because I didn't ask for retenship.

You should speak to an immigration lawyer, but from my layperson understanding, if you are acquiring citizenship by descent (and in general, I believe that if you’re getting the passport you’re getting citizenship along with it), you do not need to apply for retention, since you are having your citizenship reinstated as opposed to nationalizing.

Reactions: twr

Gozado

This sounds like you're confusing "passport" (the little booklet that allows you to cross borders) and "citizenship" (nationalitly). In most countries, only citizens (those who already hold citizenship) are eligible to obtain a passport of the country. Therefore, the steps are: first, establish citizenship, second apply for a passport.

Being "eligible" for citizenship (by descent, or any other route) is not the same as already having it. You either are, or you are not, already a Mauritian citizen.
  • If you're already a Mauritian citizen, and if you were born in South Africa as a citizen, then you're already a dual national. In that case, you're not acquiring a new citizenship.
  • If you don't already have a Mauritian document saying that you are a citizen, then what you have is merely the potential to acquire Mauritian citizenship (eligibility through descent). Therfore, if you now apply for that citizenship, then, yes, you will be acquiring it, as a new status. If that's the case, then, yes, from what I understand from the article quoted above, you should apply for permission to retain your South African citizenship before applying for Mauritian citizenship.

Last edited: