Are you vegetarian/vegan or thinking about it?

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
I watched Cowspiracy and Seaspiracy and now feel guilty about eating meat again. I was vegetarian for 11 years between 2005-2016 but gave up as it is very difficult to be vegetarian in South Africa as it's not the norm and another factor was costs given that it's more expensive than an omnivorous diet in South Africa.

A big assertion of both of the documentaries is that meat-eating/seafood consumption is not only cruel and potentially unhealthy but also the biggest causes of climate change and water shortages with other contributors like the burning of fossil fuels, wasting of water in households etc just being used as a smokescreen by non-profits and environmental organizations to turn attention away from the root causes.

Hopefully lab grown meat can start to takeoff in our lifetime but I'm not too optimistic.

Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Not one but I have expressed my findings on some plant based items I have tried:

I am very much open minded, in moderation.

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
Not one but I have expressed my findings on some plant based items I have tried:

I am very much open minded, in moderation.

Fry's was one of my main food sources in my vegetarian days. I cant say the taste of their products is exactly good. Hopefully better vegetarian offerings come along.

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
I'm vegan. Been vegan for almost 10 years now. It used to be much harder a few years ago, but it's very easy now. Like just this week Burger King launched 3 new veggie options, of which 2 are vegan (and the Vegan Royale is fecking great, had it twice already lol).

There are way more options now available than just Fry's. Checkers has their own, Spar has their own and PnP sells Herbivore as well.

Lot's of vegan or at least vegetarian options are available at restaurants now as well. It is much easier these days. Doing meat free Monday is already a positive thing.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
I'm vegan. Been vegan for almost 10 years now. It used to be much harder a few years ago, but it's very easy now. Like just this week Burger King launched 3 new veggie options, of which 2 are vegan (and the Vegan Royale is fecking great, had it twice already lol).

There are way more options now available than just Fry's. Checkers has their own, Spar has their own and PnP sells Herbivore as well.

Lot's of vegan or at least vegetarian options are available at restaurants now as well. It is much easier these days. Doing meat free Monday is already a positive thing.
I saw that in BK by pure chance yesterday. Didn't give it a go, it is on my radar though.

Glad it is "fecking great" lol

>Reaper<

I am vegetarian for the month starting from the 17th September to the 17th October for religious reasons. I bought a few of the fry's products. The taste seems to be a tad better from a few years ago. Also there is a lot more variety now so that's great.

Depending on how it goes, I am considering making it a more permanent thing.

JouPa

I am mostly plant based, so still eat a little bit of animal products
For me its mostly about the health benefits and the hardest part of quitting meat is that vegan food doesn't make me full or keep me full for very long

prOd

Expert Member
I tried vegetarian for a year, but I just couldn't hack it in the end. I had constant stomach issues. Legumes and other high protein/fibre vegetarian products just don't sit well with me. After a year I also picked up weight because I started eating like absolute sh1te.

zulucat

Expert Member
I've done it from time to time - and you can literally feel the difference to your health on like the 2nd day of doing it, but I love meat, so for now I will stick to doing it intermittently.

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
I was a vegetarian between the ages of 9 and 17, I think it's one of the main reasons I'm only 176cm tall.

It's pretty easy being a vegetarian in Durban, there's a lot more vegetarian options especially in chain restaurants/fast food than other cities in the country

LetsDance

I did consider it, but I have no clue what I need to eat to remain healthy especially protein wise. Also , I suspect it will be more expensive.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
I watched Cowspiracy and Seaspiracy and now feel guilty about eating meat again. I was vegetarian for 11 years between 2005-2016 but gave up as it is very difficult to be vegetarian in South Africa as it's not the norm and another factor was costs given that it's more expensive than an omnivorous diet in South Africa.

A big assertion of both of the documentaries is that meat-eating/seafood consumption is not only cruel and potentially unhealthy but also the biggest causes of climate change and water shortages with other contributors like the burning of fossil fuels, wasting of water in households etc just being used as a smokescreen by non-profits and environmental organizations to turn attention away from the root causes.

Hopefully lab grown meat can start to takeoff in our lifetime but I'm not too optimistic.
Plants has lives too; also your house killed a few of them :rolleyes: