Are you vegetarian/vegan or thinking about it?

Brenden_E

Executive Member
I agree what the Chinese have done is not communism as defined by Karl Marx originally.
What most people don't know is that the communist ideology strives to completely dissolve the government and its power. During communist tenure, in every instance I can recall, it's done exactly the opposite.

rietrot

Honorary Master
What most people don't know is that the communist ideology strives to completely dissolve the government and its power. During communist tenure, in every instance I can recall, it's done exactly the opposite.
Nope. Everyone knows that was the theory. Everyone also knows how stupid that was and how badly it failed.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
Nope. Everyone knows that was the theory. Everyone also knows how stupid that was and how badly it failed.
My impression is the majority of peeps believe communism is giving people free stuff, and taking money from the rich.

rietrot

Honorary Master
My impression is the majority of peeps believe communism is giving people free stuff, and taking money from the rich.
That is communism. The starting phase after the revolution, right before everyone starve to death.

Freaksta

Expert Member
Interesting, thanks for sharing.
Yep that was interesting but definitely missing a few points.

We are clearing and destroying natural habitats to farm animals, which is not sustainable, I know they say a lot of the land is marginal but there is also a lot of previously rich and diverse land areas which are being cleared which is a real issue. To me they called this land wasted, which is farm from true.

The Voice

Honorary Master

We are clearing and destroying natural habitats to farm animals, which is not sustainable, I know they say a lot of the land is marginal but there is also a lot of previously rich and diverse land areas which are being cleared which is a real issue. To me they called this land wasted, which is farm from true.
They said the myth is that good, farmable land is being used for cattle, which is incorrect, as around 2/3 of agricultural land simply isn't suitable for growing anything for human consumption - apart from cows, obviously. And food they can eat.

On the topic of chopping down forests for cattle, they cut down football-sized areas of the rainforest daily to grow things like avocados.

Neuk_

Executive Member

What points are missing?

Are we not also clearing and destroying natural habitat to farm plants as well? I have said before that our current method's of obtaining the majority of our meat are far from desirable but the short video posted shows that the idea of going vegan or vegetarian to save the planet is somewhat far fetched.

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
What points are missing?

Are we not also clearing and destroying natural habitat to farm plants as well? I have said before that our current method's of obtaining the majority of our meat are far from desirable but the short video posted shows that the idea of going vegan or vegetarian to save the planet is somewhat far fetched.
Most of the grains and plants being planted are used to feed said animals.

zippy

Honorary Master
I’ll eat whatever I want to eat, that I can afford and is legal. And it doesn’t bother me what other people eat as long it’s legal

Aghori

Honorary Master
I’ll eat whatever I want to eat, that I can afford and is legal. And it doesn’t bother me what other people eat as long it’s legal

One of my blue-collar employees used to bring in sewer rat stew and cat curry. The SPCA and the cops couldn't do anything as it was his "culture".

Neuk_

Executive Member
I don't see where my comment is confusing...

So it was just a general comment that most of the plants we farm are used for animal feed? If so, I don't believe that this is entirely true, do you have a source?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Nope plants are worse for the environment then chomping meat is.
I watched Cowspiracy and Seaspiracy and now feel guilty about eating meat again. I was vegetarian for 11 years between 2005-2016 but gave up as it is very difficult to be vegetarian in South Africa as it's not the norm and another factor was costs given that it's more expensive than an omnivorous diet in South Africa.

A big assertion of both of the documentaries is that meat-eating/seafood consumption is not only cruel and potentially unhealthy but also the biggest causes of climate change and water shortages with other contributors like the burning of fossil fuels, wasting of water in households etc just being used as a smokescreen by non-profits and environmental organizations to turn attention away from the root causes.

Hopefully lab grown meat can start to takeoff in our lifetime but I'm not too optimistic.
You know those are in the same vein as Supersize me and such right? Designed to make you scared and go oh noes we are destroying the environment by eating meat, which isn't really the case. Eating meat isn't damaging the environment as much as you thing, the biggest damage to the environment is still fossil fuels by a large margin.

I mean what makes cowspiracy any more truthful then others?
Because it was on Netflix? I mean do we start thinking the Tiger King was real?