Are you vegetarian/vegan or thinking about it?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Eating less Meat won't save the Planet. Here's Why:

Bwaha I just posted that as well, but how many people will look at it and go hmm, like they did with a flashy scaromentuary on Netflix?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Been meat free for the past month and I had developed stomach issues. really bad indigestion. Yesterday was the first time I ate meat since then and I've already feel a drastic improvement to my condtion.

Ghost64

Expert Member
Been meat free for the past month and I had developed stomach issues. really bad indigestion. Yesterday was the first time I ate meat since then and I've already feel a drastic improvement to my condtion.
Balance is the key.

Lupus

Honorary Master
What made you decide to go vegan? Did you consult a doctor before hand? Remember a lot of the replacements for meat can actually be heavy in other things that may not agree with you.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Plant fibers are much more difficult to digest than meat. While meat requires enzymes and whatnot to break it down, the majority of fibre can only be broken down by gut flora, so if you don't have enough of the good bacteria in your system, and you've compensated for the lack of meat by increasing the amount of greens you eat, you're going to have a bad time.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
What made you decide to go vegan? Did you consult a doctor before hand? Remember a lot of the replacements for meat can actually be heavy in other things that may not agree with you.
Cultural reasons mostly. I've going meat free this time of year all my life. The big difference this time round is that I was doing intermittent fasting 23 hour 1 meal a day.

I still had dairy though. I think the main issue was that I needed to a eat a whole lot more to get the same calories as did when eating meat.

About 2 weeks into the month I started to lighten my fast down to 16 hour to give my stomach some relief but that didn't really help at all.

I was concerned that I'll really run into issues when reintroducing meat but for now it seems to improve my condition.

I suspect I might have had a vitamin/mineral deficiency before going meat free which was made worse when I did.

I'll need to see if Clicks do blood tests for nutrition, knowing my Doc, he'll charge R300 for the consult, then I'd pay for the tests and I'll have to pay another R300 to get my results

Lupus

Honorary Master
Cultural reasons mostly. I've going meat free this time of year all my life. The big difference this time round is that I was doing intermittent fasting 23 hour 1 meal a day.

I still had dairy though. I think the main issue was that I needed to a eat a whole lot more to get the same calories as did when eating meat.

About 2 weeks into the month I started to lighten my fast down to 16 hour to give my stomach some relief but that didn't really help at all.

I was concerned that I'll really run into issues when reintroducing meat but for now it seems to improve my condition.

I suspect I might have had a vitamin/mineral deficiency before going meat free which was made worse when I did.

I'll need to see if Clicks do blood tests for nutrition, knowing my Doc, he'll charge R300 for the consult, then I'd pay for the tests and I'll have to pay another R300 to get my results
Without the tests you won't know what deficiency you had, you may try introducing things but that could also cause hiccups.

BBSA

Honorary Master

I go directly to Lancet, for most test they don't require a doctor's referral. They also have an app to view your results.

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
It's probably because of your increased intake of fiber. It goes away after awhile if you stuck it out.

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
So it was just a general comment that most of the plants we farm are used for animal feed? If so, I don't believe that this is entirely true, do you have a source?
I stand corrected, but still a large portion of land is used to feed animals. This is only land used to plant food/feed and fuel and not land used for the animals themselves:

Lupus

Honorary Master
I stand corrected, but still a large portion of land is used to feed animals. This is only land used to plant food/feed and fuel and not land used for the animals themselves:

Yes because that large portion of land isn't actually usuable for anything but food for the animals, you can only grow certain crops in certain areas, but grass for cows can be grown in a much wider area, animals also actually use up a lot of the waste products from our crops.

Cius

Executive Member
We eat meat, but nut big portions. For red meat 50g to 100g is our normal portion, especially with mince which we bulk up with tomato, onion, grated carrot, etc.

We do eat vegetarian on Monday's. If you struggle with vegetarian options I recommend Mexican food. Lots of good options there. We do eat cheese and milk daily. I feel we try to balance the responsibility of not overly burdening the planet while still enjoying life somewhat. I may have a bigger steak perhaps two or three times a year generally when eating out or for a special braai. Otherwise my meat appetite is a lot lower these days than when I was younger.

Neuk_

Executive Member

Thanks, it's an old article but shows that 36% of current land used to grow crops goes to animal feed, across the world as this will vary from country to country or region to region. I think there is a lot more detail to this though, it isn't as simple as saying that 36% of crops grown could be rerouted to feeding humans as some claim, something that @Lupus has alluded to in his response.

Thugscub

Expert Member
A juicy chop.
Fillet steak.
Salad.
Is chicken.
All free range.
A vegetarian is the local village idiot who can't hunt and catch fish.