Argentinian football legend Diego Maradona, 60, dies of a heart attack

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Just my opinion.

If I had to choose between Maradona at his peak and CR7 I would pick Ronaldo.

Pele, Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo, Best, all Great and all had/have their faults and off-days, but I've watched soccer for close on 60 years and have never seen anyone with the ball skills and finesse that Christiano has.

Anyway, it's one of those BMW vs Merc, Beatles vs Stones things - no consensus will ever be reached.
They're both monumental cheats too

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Zapiro:

Excalibur

Expert Member
Pele, Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo, Best, all Great and all had/have their faults and off-days, but I've watched soccer for close on 60 years and have never seen anyone with the ball skills and finesse that Christiano has.

Anyway, it's one of those BMW vs Merc, Beatles vs Stones things - no consensus will ever be reached.
Then you've never seen Ronaldinho. Yes no consensus will ever be reached.

R13...

Honorary Master
Then you've never seen Ronaldinho. Yes no consensus will ever be reached.
Yeah when it comes to ball skills Cristiano is a middle talent. He's good at some other things. Very good. Ball skills belong to the Brazilians, and Messi. In the modern era. Daveza has obviously also not watched the Brazilian Ronaldo.

Excalibur

Expert Member
Yeah when it comes to ball skills Cristiano is a middle talent. He's good at some other things. Very good. Ball skills belong to the Brazilians, and Messi. In the modern era. Daveza has obviously also not watched the Brazilian Ronaldo.
Yes he seems not to be exposed to Brazilian football, even Okocha had better ball skills than Cristiano

Some Eejit

Ball skills could mean anything. Okocha probably had more tricks in his bag but I wouldn't say he had a better touch or better technique than C Ronaldo, who is just as strong off both feet.

profa

Honorary Master
all that fame and fortune, from humble beginnings, only to go at 60 i can only assume because of a reckless lifestyle. what a waste.

Excalibur

Expert Member
all that fame and fortune, from humble beginnings, only to go at 60 i can only assume because of a reckless lifestyle. what a waste.
It's just a demon of some very talented players, the likes of Best, Gascoine, Ronaldinho, Adriano

abzob

Honorary Master
Yes he seems not to be exposed to Brazilian football, even Okocha had better ball skills than Cristiano

I don’t know why the ball skills attribute is even relevant. Even your most average freestyler has way better ball skills than a top class footballer but they wouldn’t be a freestyler if they could break it into pro-football.

abzob

Honorary Master
How so?

Maradona was a cheat on and off the field. He was a cheat of a human being.

curious to know what CR7 has done to earn the same tag.

Probably something about diving.

With all the penalties not given after a player is fouled in the box and trying to stay up only for a chance to be missed, I don’t look badly on diving anymore. Poor officiating has almost made it necessary.

Excalibur

Expert Member
I don’t know why the ball skills attribute is even relevant. Even your most average freestyler has way better ball skills than a top class footballer but they wouldn’t be a freestyler if they could break it into pro-football.
The difference is talented footballers can use their incredible ball skills to win real games. So you can be a freestyler but useless in the 11-man game. Ronaldinho was a marvelous freestyler but also the best footballer in the world in the pro game.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Saw him in 2010, Argentina vs South Korea at Soccer City (or whatever it is called now). At one point the ball went out of play towards him, it arched over him and he watched it the entire time and kicked it back onto the pitch from behind him. When he did that the crowed exploded in a massive roar, bigger than anything else for the entire game.
Lol. Was at the same match. We just went to the match to see him

The_Traveller

Expert Member
Probably something about diving.

With all the penalties not given after a player is fouled in the box and trying to stay up only for a chance to be missed, I don’t look badly on diving anymore. Poor officiating has almost made it necessary.
Then the guy is a monumental tard for putting the two in the same bracket.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Reflects incredibly poorly on the game.
Pressure to produce results. Else, you're shipped to a lesser team.

Barcelona FC under Pep was a phenomenal team. Any player worth his salt would've loved to play for them. They were simply unstoppable. However, most were cheats, including their defensive players.