Argh...Xbox HDTV shopping is hard

DarKWateR

Expert Member
I've been reading up on all this stuff for months now and I still can't decide how to proceed. There's just some stuff that I find confusing etc.

Problem 1: My budget

I have an extremely small room and budget so the biggest and best I can do is 32". Currently I'm looking at the Sinotech (R4000-R4500) and the Samsung (R5000-R6000). Both sets are 720p which I'm totally happy with. I would prefer to spend as little as possible but I don't want to buy something that not going to do the job properly. I checked both sets in store but due the lighting conditions and media it's really difficult to decide.

I'm only going to use the HDTV for my PC (movies), and Xbox 360. No SD content whatsoever. I just can't decide on the set :(

and Problem 2: Resolutions.

This is really confusing for the me. The TV runs at a native 1366x768. So let's say I connect my Xbox via (I use SPDIF for my audio). I can either set it 720p (1280x720) which is obviously not the native and therefore would require the tv and/or (?) console to scale which is obviously something I don't want. The other option is the Xbox 1360x768 which is still not the native res. AFAIK this will create a black bar (I'm not sure if this is on 1 side on the TV or both) which also in a way sucks.

I'm so confused :confused:

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
You are getting a 720p screen, iirc they're all native res of 1360x768..

I would take your xbox to the shop and plug it in and see which setup looks the best in the long run, and which screen looks the best. The sammy's in that range look better, and I think they have better colour reproduction than the Sinotech in the same range.

DarKWateR

Expert Member
You are getting a 720p screen, iirc they're all native res of 1360x768..

I would take your xbox to the shop and plug it in and see which setup looks the best in the long run, and which screen looks the best. The sammy's in that range look better, and I think they have better colour reproduction than the Sinotech in the same range.

Nope :( the 720p screens have a native of 1366x768 and not 1360x768. It would have been really nice if MS included the 1366 option in the menu. I can do the Xbox option but it's really difficult to test in store and I'm not really fond of carrying my gear around.

Last edited:

matt loves telkom

well if Xbox looks amazing on the Sinotec 42' lcd im sure it will look just as good on a 32'.if you not a brand fanboy and you are on budget you wont be dissapointed.SD is terrible but you dont need it....but yeah maybe take it to the store and test :)

I am Penguin

Executive Member
It would have been really nice if MS included the 1366 option in the menu. I can do the Xbox option but it's really difficult to test in store and I'm not really fond of carrying my gear around.

1080p? :confused: Why not get a full HD for a few rand more?

ToxicBunny

Ok, thats odd, I see what you mean about the resolution. Both Sinotech and Sammy are 1366 and the Xbox only natively supports 1360x768....

Very odd.

DarKWateR

Expert Member
LG 32" Full HD LCD TV R 6,999.00 at Makro

Exactly...it's like a R1000-R2500 more than I'm willing to spend. That's a lot of money and I don't want a LG product anyway and also the fact that 1080p on a 32" is kinda a waste (especially from the distance I'll be viewing).

I am Penguin

Executive Member
Exactly...it's like a R1000-R2500 more than I'm willing to spend. That's a lot of money and I don't want a LG product anyway and also the fact that 1080p on a 32" is kinda a waste (especially from the distance I'll be viewing).

What about a big LCD monitor? Seems to me Full HD will solve your problem if Your Xbox SKU unit can do it. If so I would save the cash for now and go full HD if I were you, I would wait for a bargain, the festive season promotions will start soon....!

Anyway good luck, happy hunting.

DarKWateR

Expert Member
What about a big LCD monitor? Seems to me Full HD will solve your problem if Your Xbox SKU unit can do it. If so I would save the cash for now and go full HD if I were you, I would wait for a bargain, the festive season promotions will start soon....!

Anyway good luck, happy hunting.

As mentioned in my first post, I don't have the space for it and I don't want to spend that much.

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
As mentioned in my first post, I don't have the space for it and I don't want to spend that much.

I think what IAP meant to suggest is a large LCD PC monitor... If you want to stick to 32" I really don't think you should be too stressed about the difference in native res & Xbox output - you're talking about 6 pixels, or about 0.44% below native - I doubt you'll see any obvious scaling ;)

DarKWateR

Expert Member
I think what IAP meant to suggest is a large LCD PC monitor... If you want to stick to 32" I really don't think you should be too stressed about the difference in native res & Xbox output - you're talking about 6 pixels, or about 0.44% below native - I doubt you'll see any obvious scaling ;)

I really hope so

ToxicBunny

I had a 32" for a few months before it was "nicked"... and you don't notice the scaling...

DarKWateR

Expert Member
I'm maybe thinking about the Samsung 2494HS 23.5" everybody seems to be raving about. Just a pity it's so small.

theratman

Honorary Master
The sammy 23.5 is too small!Im in a similar situation also want a 32" sino for the xbox n movies and some SD tv but not much.Budget is the same as yours.My max is around 5k,just cannot afford another 2k for a 42" lg etc.2k might be pocket change to some but for others its a fair chunk.will be keeping my eye on this thread though :D

DarKWateR

Expert Member
The sammy 23.5 is too small!Im in a similar situation also want a 32" sino for the xbox n movies and some SD tv but not much.Budget is the same as yours.My max is around 5k,just cannot afford another 2k for a 42" lg etc.2k might be pocket change to some but for others its a fair chunk.will be keeping my eye on this thread though :D

It might be smaller yes but I guess it all depends are where you sit. The 23.6 sammy is however 1080p and about R2400 which is something to consider. I might buy the screen now and a big a$$ HDTV next year when the prices are hopefully better but yeah, I'm still deciding.

DarKWateR

Expert Member
I guess the main reason I wanted 32" is so that I could chill out on the cough or bed while playing.