Arsenal FC Supporters Thread - 2018/19 Season

The Voice

Executive Member
I suppose I'm the only one not surprised with the results from this squad. The moment David Luiz was signed out of desperation I knew what to expect from the squad and so far I've been able to predict most results fairly accurately.

The desperate signing of Luiz was signal of how shyte the defence is. Its the defensive weakness that's breaking Emry and most of the problems are coming from fsck ups that Wenger signed. We'd be lucky to get half the price Wenger paid for them.

Whoever the next manager is is going to inherit this dead weight and have a fairly limited transfer budget to fix the squad. Hopefully the next manager is able to convince the board to take a loss in the transfer market offloading these players.
They say hindsight is 20/20. I recall us being linked with someone like Evans a couple of years ago - hell, even I got on board with "no thanks, don't want another United reject. I think we all remember what happened with Silvestre". Yet he's a total beast at Leicester now. And looking back, it made sense because he has so much EPL experience.

I reckon the same thought process went on with signing Luiz. There were a few defenders we could've signed instead, but we were being told to come back with bids of £80mil. So when someone like Luiz becomes available for £8mil, with years of EPL and European experience, it starts to make a bit more sense. He wouldn't need time to adjust to the league, climate, city. He could just come in and do his thing.

Of the Wenger era, the only people at the back who are left are Bellerin, Chambers, Holding and Kolasinac. Of that group, the only one I'd sell is The Tank.

You can't really blame the defence on it's own. It's become a collective effort. They don't stop shots against us alone - that process begins in midfield. And because we're failing at that simple principle, we've conceded the most shots against of any team in the league. We need to defend as a unit, and we aren't. I saw a picture that was worth a thousand words - when Vitoria scored the other night, there was something like 6 Arsenal players between the striker and the goal. Yet a looping ball still managed to get to him, and he was able to set himself up for a bicycle kick - which made it's way past 4 players into the goal. **** like that just can't happen at our level.

The Voice

Executive Member
Just saw an Ornstein post: the board are 100% behind Emery, and will reassess his position in the summer, but they're currently happy with the club's position and progress.

Yeah, I'm done.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
They say hindsight is 20/20. I recall us being linked with someone like Evans a couple of years ago - hell, even I got on board with "no thanks, don't want another United reject. I think we all remember what happened with Silvestre". Yet he's a total beast at Leicester now. And looking back, it made sense because he has so much EPL experience.

I reckon the same thought process went on with signing Luiz. There were a few defenders we could've signed instead, but we were being told to come back with bids of £80mil. So when someone like Luiz becomes available for £8mil, with years of EPL and European experience, it starts to make a bit more sense. He wouldn't need time to adjust to the league, climate, city. He could just come in and do his thing.

Of the Wenger era, the only people at the back who are left are Bellerin, Chambers, Holding and Kolasinac. Of that group, the only one I'd sell is The Tank.

You can't really blame the defence on it's own. It's become a collective effort. They don't stop shots against us alone - that process begins in midfield. And because we're failing at that simple principle, we've conceded the most shots against of any team in the league. We need to defend as a unit, and we aren't. I saw a picture that was worth a thousand words - when Vitoria scored the other night, there was something like 6 Arsenal players between the striker and the goal. Yet a looping ball still managed to get to him, and he was able to set himself up for a bicycle kick - which made it's way past 4 players into the goal. **** like that just can't happen at our level.
You need to look at the central midfield also when looking at the sides defensive unit.

David Luiz is famous for the sudden lapse in concentration and decision making that results in a goal the exact same problem that plague most the defence and midfield for the last 3 years or so.

We don't have a top 4 squad a fully fit Man City, Leicester, Liverpool, Chelsea and even Tottenham are better than the fully fit Arsenal side. It remains to be seen whether this is Emery's fault of the board. It's going to take an Herculaneun effort from the new manager and some deals in January if Arsenal want to be in the top 4 by not replying on the misfortunes of other clubs.

Kakarot

the board are 100% behind Emery
Wow really? The idea that Arsenal fans are an unbreakable stallion is seriously being tested now. We will lose more by keeping Emery(hopefully we don't get relegated in the next 2-3 years).

The Voice

Executive Member
Wow really? The idea that Arsenal fans are an unbreakable stallion is seriously being tested now. We will lose more by keeping Emery(hopefully we don't get relegated in the next 2-3 years).
They reckon he can steer is in the right direction with the run of games just after the break. I'm not so sure about that...

dbecks

Executive Member

Why would you sell the Tank?

R13...

Honorary Master
I'm not really sure the problem is the manager. Unless the team just doesn't want to play for him. To my eyes it looks like they only show up about 30% of the game, the opposition just always seem to want it more than arsenal.

dbecks

Executive Member
Doesn't seem to be very good at the whole defending thing.
I thought he was pretty awesome when he first came - but havent watched too much of you guys recently

I also thought Chambers was suspect when I did see him play

The Voice

Executive Member
I thought he was pretty awesome when he first came - but havent watched too much of you guys recently

I also thought Chambers was suspect when I did see him play
There were glimpses of the guy who made it into the Bundesliga team of the year when we signed him, but it disappeared rapidly. He's decent going forward, but not at the back where he's actually needed. Tierney is miles better at both.

Chambers was a bit of a donkey, but has vastly improved since he came back from loan.

dbecks

Executive Member
There were glimpses of the guy who made it into the Bundesliga team of the year when we signed him, but it disappeared rapidly. He's decent going forward, but not at the back where he's actually needed. Tierney is miles better at both.

Chambers was a bit of a donkey, but has vastly improved since he came back from loan.
Ahhh ok. Yeah I was kinda of peeved when you signed Tierney coz I wanted him for us.

I also never rated Unai as even with that super PSG side, he couldnt muster anything in CL. I mean, anyone could win the French League with that team.

But I cant even slag you guys off, coz I know how difficult it is to transition from a long term manager. Kind feel like kindred spirits here - although I wont miss out too much in the banter thread:p

rayven_king

Expert Member
we should've taken sarri when we had a chance, he was never the right fit at chelski but still got things done