Arsenal FC Supporters Thread - 2018/19 Season

Splinter

Honorary Master
Yeah. I remember the Leeds team that went down. Were playing in the CL a few years before, and then it all went to ****. Had a really good squad, too.
Leeds had financial issues though iirc. Club overspent banking on certain results (for cash flow) which didn't happen, and they sank out of sight.

The Voice

Executive Member
I don't think Raul is the problem tbh. Remember, we have players like Pepe because of him.

Also, AW was dead against that type of setup. Part of the reason he was let go was so that KSE could overhaul the backroom - they now have 4 people doing the job that Wenger did. He didn't want to hand over those responsibilities.

Last edited:

The Voice

Executive Member
Rodgers has just signed a new deal with Leicester, so that's one of the list.

We've apparently started interviewing candidates - would be nice to know who.

phiber

Expert Member
I don't think Raul is the problem tbh. Remember, we have players like Pepe because of him.
Spending money on Pepe is why we didn't get a proper back 4. A proper director of Football would have worked hard to retain Ramsey, and found suitable replacements for Koscielny. They also wouldn't have made GX captain.

The overhaul of the backroom seems to be hurting us more than benefiting. United did the same thing and it has hurt them too. World class coaches want the accountability, not sure why they should be handing over to guys like Raul and Edu. Can't think of many coaches that would want to work for these two.

Auba and Lacazette are out of contract at the end of this season, and I don't see this staff locking them down into new contracts any time soon.

But hey, Rahul got us Pepe, the under-performing attacking midfielder we really didn't need.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
Spending money on Pepe is why we didn't get a proper back 4. A proper director of Football would have worked hard to retain Ramsey, and found suitable replacements for Koscielny. They also wouldn't have made GX captain.

The overhaul of the backroom seems to be hurting us more than benefiting. United did the same thing and it has hurt them too. World class coaches want the accountability, not sure why they should be handing over to guys like Raul and Edu. Can't think of many coaches that would want to work for these two.

Auba and Lacazette are out of contract at the end of this season, and I don't see this staff locking them down into new contracts any time soon.

But hey, Rahul got us Pepe, the under-performing attacking midfielder we really didn't need.
So it goes, when one half of the donkey pulls one way, and the other half a different direction.

The Voice

Executive Member

*Winger we needed, not AM we didn't need. Now, imagine coming into Arsenal with that price tag - not one that he created by the way - and then there's all this hype about you, but then you only play 60 minutes of PL football in 14 games. Even when we're chasing a goal and you're on the bench with 20mins left, the manager brings on a DM or a teenager instead. Hardly does anything for your confidence I'd imagine.

As for the defence, we signed Saliba - and then immediately loaned him back. Not exactly helpful, but he's an amazing prospect. We also signed Tierney, who will be the best LB in the league (when they eventually realise Kolasinac is ****). We also got Luiz, who on paper, is a very experienced, solid defender on his day, although a bit erratic, sure. So we lost Kos, who hasn't been consistent over the years, and got in 3 new defenders. I'd say we did alright. You can add Ramsey to the inconsistent pile. I love the man, but he was so 50/50 it was scary.

Auba and Laca are out of contract, yes - but how is Raul going to convince them to sign when for the second season in a row that they've been there we're definitely not going to get into the CL? Hell, we may not even qualify for the Europa next season.

Raul had sway, yes, but he can't do anything about the team losing to Brighton at home. He can't do anything about one of the best DMs around being played as an AM. He can't make Özil run a bit faster or show a bit more urgency - we saw that again in that game. He got an assist, but did pretty much **** all for the rest of the game. Again.

The next manager needs to wipe the slate clean and rebuild the team to how HE wants it, if necessary. Listened to a podcast yesterday, and tend to agree with the point that just about every player bought in the last 10 years hasn't specifically been an "Arsenal" player: it's like they're all good at different types of football, but just thrown in together, eg: one might be brilliant at possession, the other with counter attacking, etc. But there's never any cohesion on the field. We don't set up to a specific game plan, and even if we do, we don't have the right personnel to execute it.

Our benchmark will always be the Invincibles. They were the epitome of Total Football as far as our club goes. Everyone could hold the ball, attack, defend, counter at pace, etc. And we have one of them as interim manager. But we're never going to get the current team anywhere near that - they're all just too different.

As for the backroom reshuffle, you're mistaken if you think it means we won't attract a big manager. Every major club in Europe (England included) has the same set up now. City have been doing it since they were bought out - we've only caught on in the last few years. It's the "continental" approach to football management where the manager just focuses on coaching the team, like he's meant to. Everything else is handled by a team behind him.

It's like we're having a bad game of Football Manager and we're signing people for the sake of it. While it will appease fans, it does nothing for the long term.

rayven_king

Expert Member
I liked yesterday's front three Pépé started playing well as soon as Emery left. Great that he scored a goal but even if he just kept going with his runs, tricks and passes that is a huge improvement on how he played before. You'd think Emery told him to play badly on purpose

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
I liked yesterday's front three Pépé started playing well as soon as Emery left. Great that he scored a goal but even if he just kept going with his runs, tricks and passes that is a huge improvement on how he played before. You'd think Emery told him to play badly on purpose
Did not get to watch, due to loadshedding, but any improvement is welcome.

Lateinlife

The last 30mins was a different team and I hope it is the spark the team needs . Leaving Luiz out was a good idea as he and Mustafi compete for the most mistakes . The younger players were excellent and Martinelli was awesome . Long may this last - oh and Ozil must go

The Voice

Executive Member
Kind of forgot what it was like to get a win. Feels nice, but weird at the same time.

After Gabbie scored I was still hesitant because I expected West Ham to carve us open. And then Pepe scored, and I started hoping a little, but as a Gooner it's always been the hope that kills. And then Auba did an Auba thing, and the result seemed cemented. We were at least safe.

As much as I'm happy for the team, I'm also happy for Freddie. We all know he's been thrown into the deep end, and while he's only our interim manager, getting wins is still hugely important for his own confidence and managerial career going forward, post-Arsenal.

Not looking forward to City at all. They're a wounded animal after losing to United. But, no-one really expects us to beat them. So let them come.

RexxGrim

Executive Member
Either Pochettino,Arteta,Ancelotti

My guesses are announcment this week/next week.
Arteta is too much of a risk for the position we're in. We need someone to stabilize the club. Someone with high profile EPL experience.

Ancelotti fits that bill imo. Sure Pochettino as well, but I'm not so sure we'll get him.

If the media are to be believed we're interviewing people. Wtf are we appointing a debtors clerk?

Hopefully the interview goes something like this:

Interviewer: "Do you know how to organize a defense?"

Candidate: "Yes"

Interviewer: "Welcome to Arsenal Football Club"

:p