As a senior software dev, what's the one piece of advice that you would give to your younger self ?

stricken

Expert Member
When i have some spare time again in a few weeks, I'll want to write an API for a React app I wrote a while ago, but with Meteor JS or Rails... Still deciding which one.
Go with Rails. There are a lot of Ruby stacks (in the international market) that have handsome budgets for developers to maintain them. Meteor is a proprietary "hold my hand" framework, whereas Ruby is a language (albeit in decline)

ronald911

Expert Member
Go with Rails. There are a lot of Ruby stacks (in the international market) that have handsome budgets for developers to maintain them. Meteor is a proprietary "hold my hand" framework, whereas Ruby is a language (albeit in decline)
Awesome, thanks! Then ruby/rails it is!

_kabal_

Expert Member
I wouldn't choose either of these frameworks, but saying "Meteor is a framework whereas ruby is a language", is the same as saying "Lord of the Rings is a book, whereas Chinese is a language" :)

Meteor is written in Javascript, Rails is written in Ruby

Meteor is open source, not proprietary

ronald911

Expert Member
I wouldn't choose either of these frameworks, but saying "Meteor is a framework whereas ruby is a language", is the same as saying "Lord of the Rings is a book, whereas Chinese is a language" :)

Meteor is written in Javascript, Rails is written in Ruby

Meteor is open source, not proprietary
While we're on the topic, any languages+frameworks you'd choose to 'learn' over a weekend to write an API, as oppose to Meteor (Javascript) / Rails (Ruby)?

John_Phoenix

" You will be using that piece of code/configuration again, so make sure the damn thing is commented"
Konfab, go next level, write your docs in markdown, and push those files to gh-pages... Double trouble. Thank you for commenting that 450 line file, but we're probably going to need the recursion split out into its own class. Stay sane, never code sober.

John_Phoenix

"Pattern generally implies there is some kind of duplication. Duplication should ideally be factored out (OnceAndOnlyOnce aka DRY) so that only the differences remain. It appears to me that stronger languages can more easily remove such duplication because sometimes one has to make a kind of sub-language to do it." -- Paul Graham

If you take the SOLID principles to their extremes, you arrive at something that makes Functional Programming look quite attractive -- Mark Seemann

"This practice is not only common, but institutionalized. For example, in the OO world you hear a good deal about "patterns". I wonder if these patterns are not sometimes evidence of case (c), the human compiler, at work. When I see patterns in my programs, I consider it a sign of trouble. The shape of a program should reflect only the problem it needs to solve. Any other regularity in the code is a sign, to me at least, that I'm using abstractions that aren't powerful enough - often that I'm generating by hand the expansions of some macro that I need to write" -- Paul Graham
Holy smokes this hits home. I find reading well written code to be cathartic, and the most beautiful code bases have structural setup boilerplate, and the rest is damn near art.

Urist

Expert Member
1. Never say no to opportunities you don't know that you can handle and don't step back from a challenge. I'm a dba, not a developer, had a few development opportunities I passed on. One rolled around again 2 years ago and I took a shot at it, best decision of my life, just wish I had done it earlier.
Got a saas in the cloud now, one you guys will probably rip apart, but it's a steady second income and it's getting better. The database is solid though :p

2.wtf was I thinking not getting a degree... UNISA is very accessible and not super expensive. I'm almost middle aged and only started studying for a degree a few years ago. All the excuses I made for myself now seems stupid.

Last edited:

shanezn186

Ruby on Rails is dying. You better off learn a modern SPA framework such as ReactJS or VueJS.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Holy smokes this hits home. I find reading well written code to be cathartic, and the most beautiful code bases have structural setup boilerplate, and the rest is damn near art.
Code, no differ to art starts from a rough sketch-up and requires a lot of skill + persistence to transform it into an art...

....the magic of the refactoring brush.

Ghost02

Expert Member
1. Never say no to opportunities you don't know that you can handle and don't step back from a challenge. I'm a dba, not a developer, had a few development opportunities I passed on. One rolled around again 2 years ago and I took a shot at it, best decision of my life, just wish I had done it earlier.
Got a saas in the cloud now, one you guys will probably rip apart, but it's a steady second income and it's getting better. The database is solid though :p

2.wtf was I thinking not getting a degree... UNISA is very accessible and not super expensive. I'm almost middle aged and only started studying for a degree a few years ago. All the excuses I made for myself now seems stupid.
Attach files

Do you mind sharing your SaaS? Here or via pm :D Keen to see what other MyBB folk have built, @ronald911 has shared the most with us so far.

Urist

Expert Member
Attach files

Do you mind sharing your SaaS? Here or via pm :D Keen to see what other MyBB folk have built, @ronald911 has shared the most with us so far.
You`ll only be greeted with a login screen that looks a lot like the one from visual studio's to asp.net web app template. Not really for public consumption.

Moridin

Don't ever burn your bridges. Can't even remember how many times I walked into a new company only to see familiar faces.

Don't put your eggs in one basket. Learn as many languages and frameworks as possible, even if it has to be on your own time. I got to where I am just because I played with something new in my own time.

Nostalgia_06

Being mostly in finance my entire career I've had no issues with it. The bank sector was not bad, but like you stated politically it was horrible and primarily my reason for leaving.
By politically what do you guys actually mean?!