As A Young Developer Should I Keep My Job Or Keep My Studies

Cicero

Expert Member
Like others have said, do both as best you can.

But...prioritise your degree over work if it comes to it, it'll give you a better foundation into more complex roles, and it'll be worth it in the long run.

You're young, if you can bang it out in 5years so be it.

eXisor

Expert Member
Like others have said, do both as best you can.

But...prioritise your degree over work if it comes to it, it'll give you a better foundation into more complex roles, and it'll be worth it in the long run.

You're young, if you can bang it out in 5years so be it.

I think this is really bad advice. If you decide to do both, you cannot let your employer down. You're getting paid good money to do a good job. And getting a bad reference will make the next job more difficult to get, irrespective of how many degrees you've got.
Also, if the workload is getting too much, it's better to drop a course for the year and do it the following. Yes, you've lost the money you paid, but you're the only one taking a hit.

Last edited:

Cicero

Expert Member
I think this is really bad advice. If you decide to do both, you cannot let your employer down. You're getting paid good money to do a good job. And getting a bad reference will make the next job more difficult to get, irrespective of how many degrees you've got.
Also, if the workload is getting too much, it's better to drop a course for the year and do it the following. Yes, you've lost the money you paid, but you're the only one taking a hit.
Well personal opinion of course considering his age. What I meant was if the going gets tough, rather resign from work than ever consider dropping out of the degree instead. He should put the degree as a higher priority in his mind rather than work.

eXisor

Expert Member
Well personal opinion of course considering his age. What I meant was if the going gets tough, rather resign from work than ever consider dropping out of the degree instead. He should put the degree as a higher priority in his mind rather than work.

If he can afford to that, then yes, I agree, but if they're paying for courses it's not that simple. Pay the piper before taking your cut.

Faziki

Do both!

It's hard, but you won't regret it. Lets say you study for 5 years to complete CS and at that time you worked for this company or another then you will have 7- 8 years working experience and a degree that will skyrocket you into the atmosphere (or stratosphere) Think of this, you will be 26 - 27 years old, with a truck ton of XP, amazing working portfolio and a Degree. Sounds nice heh?

Just take it slow with the studies 'even the turtle finishes the race' and talk to your employer so that they can understand that you are going to have to juggle a few things, you will see they will be more than eager to assist and help you on your way.

Alternatively, you could do both and take breaks in between. Example, work for this company for some time while you study, and if you feel you are overwhelmed you can always tell your employer that you want to go on a sabbatical ( 6 months more or less) to focus on your studies, think they will allow it if they are supportive and understanding. after 6 months you join them again and proceed with studies and work as normal.

Venomous

Honorary Master
You can do both, it might just take longer. But if you can't handle stress then decide on one and do that.

I did a degree in 4 years part time whilst working my way up to Dev team lead, getting married and having various other things going on, it is possible but it does drain you.
The OP can certainly do both.
Takes a little longer, but it will open many doors going fotward!

OP.
It might mean less fun with your buddies, BUT you can earn money and pay for your studies without having the student loan hanging around your neck afterwards. You'll also know that you paid for your own studies.