• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Ashwin Willemse meltdown on Supersport

rpm

Admin
Staff member
What happened before the Ashwin Willemse meltdown on Supersport where he walked off the set? Looks like something off-screen?

First he asked Naas Botha and Nick Mallet for comment, saying they were patronising, and then the meltdown followed, with him walking off the set.

His comments like: "I have played this game for a long time. I am not going to be patronised by two individuals who have played in Apartheid in the segregated years and come to undermine me."

He continued: "I have had may fair share. I cannot work with people who undermine me. You can sit, you can laugh about it. You know exactly what happened."

Last edited:

Sneeky

Honorary Master
To me it looked like he had a jibe at Naas after the match, something about 'you go first cause you hogged all the time already'.

Then when Nick and Naas had there say he lost the plot completely.

Vic502

Ja, I also went to get a drink after the match ended and walked back in as he (Ashwin) was saying what rpm quoted. WTF

Madzdad

What a pity Ashwin...haven’t always agreed with your alternative commentary even though you were proven right at times...race card....that sucks brother!

rietrot

Executive Member
Well that quote doesn't seem too bad, like just playing the race card. More like they are old and out of touch with whats going on. I can agree with him if that was his intention.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

Peon

Expert Member
Nick might be correct most of the time but is too forceful with his views. Ashwin wears his heart on his sleeve and is too reactive. This have been coming for a long time. The 2 are a bad mix. Im actually surprised it took so long to happen and 'blow-up'. SuperSport should have sensed this and swopped them around before tonight.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Nick might be correct most of the time but is too forceful with his views. Ashwin wears his heart on his sleeve and is too reactive. This have been coming for a long time. The 2 are a bad mix. Im actually surprised it took so long to happen and 'blow-up'. SuperSport should have sensed this and swopped them around before tonight.
I’m in the opinion that Nic and Naas will carry the brunt, the 'market' has spoken.

airborne

Executive Member
"While it's not clear what led to Willemse's obvious unhappiness, the former Lions and Springbok wing spoke of being labelled a "quota player" and refused to be "patrionised by two individuals who played in an apartheid / segregated era".

Willemse went on to say he "can't work with people who undermine other people" and that he was "glad it happened on live TV so that people can see".

Ashwin Willemse walked off set after disagreement with Nick mallet and Naas botha

https://m.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/drama-on-supersport-set-as-willemse-walks-off-20180519

The incident happened following the Lions' 42-24 win over the Brumbies at Ellis Park in Johannesburg.

While it's not clear what led to Willemse's obvious unhappiness, the former Lions and Springbok wing spoke of being labelled a "quota player" and refused to be "patronised by two individuals who played in an apartheid / segregated era".

Willemse went on to say he "can't work with people who undermine other people" and that he was "glad it happened on live TV so that people can see".