Ask RSAWEB anything about the Cloud - Win great prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MirageF1

Executive Member
What are the major advantages Vs disadvantages in a company using cloud based over more traditional on site server technology

barkhausen

What happens when power failures occur and SMES cannot access cloud services such as ones connected via fibre/adsl lines.

DocJ021

With Azure and AWS cloud services being hosted locally in South Africa, now removing previous limitations of data sovereignty. How do smaller South African cloud providers productise their cloud offerings and services to compete with Hyperscalers with market monopoly that are now present in country, the investment is physical infrastructure is immense with no guaranteed revenue return on building cloud infrastructures, is it not better to partner than compete?

GavGold

Apart from Azure, the other cloud providers still have no data centres in South Africa. Are there legal implications to hosting outside of South Africa? Does the US$ based pricing not make it more expensive than all of the marketing hype implies?

GavGold

What happens when power failures occur and SMES cannot access cloud services such as ones connected via fibre/adsl lines.
It may just be my perspective, but I would actually see cloud as minimising the risk posed by unstable power and telecommunications - as long as the data centres maintain power (and I expect they would) the systems would be available - even from a laptop with 3G

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
For your VPS resources on demand: https://www.rsaweb.co.za/hosting/virtual-private-servers/
You have a cloud on demand option with hourly billing.

How would you charge to run a microservice that uses dynamic amounts of memory?
The entire point of a microservice is to reduce the amount of resources needed when not in use, yet you charge in GB blocks per hour when most microservices will spin up for a second or two to complete the task, then idle back to nothing. This makes your products non-cost competitive to giants like Amazon who have negligible overhead costs per client. Do you believe your hourly charging is sustainable/a good market strategy or in need of a revamp?

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
I'm actually more interested on the hardware side. Is your infrastructure more compute,memory or storage intensive currently?
Are you using primarily branded monitoring software or open-sourced?

ranger

Expert Member
RSAWeb's Cloud page states:

Automation - Secure, RESTful API with software development kits available for a variety of different programming languages.

Where would one find the API? There doesn't seem to be a link to it anywhere from that page, or any of the other pages that seem to cover your cloud offering. Do you offer SDKs for your API, like all the major cloud platforms (AWS, GCP, Azure), which all have publicly accessible, well-designed APIs and mature SDKs for most popular languages.

ranger

Expert Member
The RSAWeb Cloud page states:
Cloud Experts - RSAWEB is South Africa's leading Cloud provider with over five years Cloud experience.

What does "South Africa's leading Cloud provider" mean?

Did you know that EC2 was developed in South Africa, and still employs a large team developing and operating EC2 world-wide, and an even larger team supporting all AWS services. EC2 (as part of the first AWS regionin Africa) will be available in Cape Town in a full multi-AZ offering within a few months.

Surely you know that Azure has launched locally.

Oracle also has developers of their cloud platform in South Africa.

IS Ignite launched a few years ago, and could probably be considered the first real cloud offering the country.

How is RSAWeb "leading" any of these players?

gah

A search of RSAWEB's web site for "ipv6" returns five blog posts, the most recent of which dates from 2011. Similarly, a quick check of RIPEstat suggests RSAWEB does not announce any IPv6 address blocks. This leads me to assume that you're not currently making native IPv6 available within your own cloud offering, which is surprising given that it is available as standard from most overseas cloud hosting and VPS providers.

What is your roadmap for IPv6 availability within your network and your cloud offerings?

Jake45

Expert Member
Would cloud services still be viable if South Africa ever faced extreme loadshedding conditions such as in Zimbabwe where blackouts of 12 hours or longer occur regularly and are even causing disruptions in cellular communications due to inadequate generator capacity?

vorman

Expert Member
How do you assure clients and provide them with peace of mind that data is safe in the cloud?

vorman

Expert Member
Tell me how my data can be backed up. For example, someone deletes a whole bunch of files from my cloud server. Can I restore these? How often are backups made of a persons cloud storage and where is this stored? Same location of the hosting server?

skimread

Honorary Master
How do companies know how much per month it will cost monthly to use their current infrastructure (database, website, offsite backup) to the cloud?

Kimsinc

Are there ever any issues when trying to access cloud, should one need a document urgently. besides Internet connection is there any way one would not be able to access the cloud?

Status
Not open for further replies.