Ask RSAWEB anything about the Cloud - Win great prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

hongkongpom

Can you give 100% guarantee that if the data is attacked for any reason, that you can restore the Cloud data from a Cloud backup with no downtime for your customers?

Id3alV3locity

Research has shown that cloud computing is contributing towards climate change and that it will only increase. The technology is undeniably important and a huge advancement but we have to consider the impact.
What do you think is the future for more sustainable cloud infrastructure that places less burden on our valuable resources?
The benefits of the cloud go beyond cost and efficiency – cloud can also impact a small business owner’s carbon footprint. https://www.itweb.co.za/content/JBwErvn529Vq6Db2

Doc55

Will the Cloud services allow confidential storing and sharing of information between parties worldwide? What are the chances of this information being hacked?

VoiceEngineer

Hi Sean Rose, i am concerned at the moment with my Vendor Lock-in situation and i was wondering if you have the abilities to migrate my storage from an outside platform to your infrastructure with complete synchronisation and expert support to ensure no security risks for my data.

Zaczany

Cloud storage seems like the absolute must-have for the present & future, given that there is always internet of course.
Is it fitting to say without an internet connection cloud storage is as good as nonexistent???
Especially in this era or load shedding (power cuts) and connection towers vandalism.

TheSlinger

What would the process be if you discovered a major security breach like what happened to hetzner sa?

rogerwe

The cheapest Azure tiee for hosting a simple Web Service is still too expensive for my startup. Your dedicated servers are more expensive per month. What is the compelling reason that small businesses should adopt your cloud offering over Azure and AWS?

TJAY348

How safe is the "Cloud"? How do I know or how will I be sure that the information I save to the cloud is protected and will not be leaked?

sethtomson

Hi Sean

You know something, you & I have much in common.

Truth be told, I also have my head in the clouds !

That was the reason I completely forgot to unplug my desktop computer that very day.
It began clouding over & the next thing a storm Rose up from nowhere and then... !!! ZAP !!! - I could smell the electrical burn & I was left shorn (am sure by now you're starting to see what we have in common) of my computer, easily enough replaced & my harddrive, yep, gone were all those precious digital memories.

I knew then I had to find a way to protect my future pics, files and memories.
I Rose to the ocassion, pulled my head out of the clouds & stuck it right back in again. Except this time around the cloud was a safe and secure space where I knew my memories would be safe. I uploaded files and pics I took of the Roses in my garden, video clips of animals, of cows, of sheep being shorn.

And thus I arrive at my question:

Millions of people uploading stuff onto / into the cloud all the time - so in laymen's terms for us non techy people, how much stuff can actually be stored in this ever filling up invisible cloud - ???

einameteish

Traditional CAPEX models work out cheaper over a few years vs the Cloud OPEX subscription. From a financial perspective, how would you demonstrate / articulate savings or cost reductions by offsetting it as OPEX?

Sean Rose - RSAWEB

RSAWEB Cloud Expert
Company Rep
Hello everyone, There are some fantastic question here and I will begin posting answers shortly. Thank you for the participation!

Sean Rose - RSAWEB

RSAWEB Cloud Expert
Company Rep
Do you see any hesitation from businesses/corporations to move their services to the cloud from on-prem due to various security breaches that have happened, and how do you intend on reassuring your customers that their data is secure and safe from vulnerabilities?
Cyber Security is a major concern for any business. Reducing your environment vulnerability to security breaches should be a top priority. RSAWEB provides consulting and engineering services in respect of solution architecture to help identify design, policy and protocol vulnerabilities; we also partner with industry recognised security vendors like Fortinet and Cloudflare to enable our customers to bolster their environment security. Our engagement ethos is collaborative and we spend time with our customers understanding their technology use cases, this helps us to leverage the engineering skills we have internally as well as our vendor ecosystem to achieve their specific compliance and security requirements and objectives.

Sean Rose - RSAWEB

RSAWEB Cloud Expert
Company Rep
Do you use virtual firewall's or physical firewall's to protect the cloud environment and why do you use the chosen one?
Both options are available to our customers, predominantly virtual firewalls are deployed our chosen partner is Fortinet.

Sean Rose - RSAWEB

RSAWEB Cloud Expert
Company Rep
In this age of hacking & spying how does one "sell" the Cloud to the average Joe? How safe are they knowing that their content is protected & safeguarded?
A good question, similar to a previous answer. It is important for users of any Cloud service to assume that their data protection (security) and backup is their responsibility unless they have specifically purchased a backup or security related service. As a standard service providers will take all necessary precautions to protect their own networks however the services purchased by the end user and then exposed to the internet require additional security and data protection provisions.

Sean Rose - RSAWEB

RSAWEB Cloud Expert
Company Rep
While end to end security is the most important aspect of cloud services and the focus of cloud vendors and companies that use cloud, even with recommended security solutions in place, it isn't fool proof.Do cloud vendors recommend what type of data in general should not be used in the cloud or do they recommend additional end to end encryption for highly sensitive data and apply custom solutions as per client requirements or a general approach of one size fits all. ?
RSAWEB often architects custom solutions for customers including connectivity, WAN, colocation, cloud computing, SaaS and security services. We understand that a "one size fits all" approach is not conducive to servicing any market let alone the South African market. We provide advice that we believe is in the best interest of the customer and end user.

Sean Rose - RSAWEB

RSAWEB Cloud Expert
Company Rep
What is the biggest barrier for entry to the Cloud for customers who still have the traditional on-premise model?
In my experience barriers to entry vary depending on the business. There are a number of factors that determine whether the adoption of cloud services are going to be painless or not. Assuming connectivity is not an issue; migration to cloud is a strategic move and not necessarily a cost saving exercise. Planning is key and in the planning it is often determined that a skilled partner is required to help navigate the journey. Cloud computing environments offer up the opportunity of enhancing user experience, improving application performance, providing the ability to scale without impacting production.

Sean Rose - RSAWEB

RSAWEB Cloud Expert
Company Rep
How do you foresee solving latency issues in time sensitive applications where info should be sent in real time to the cloud? If latency becomes larger than say 200ms, granularity is lost (in our application - this relates to using timestamping for trilateration).
Hi, This question is, I think, is very relevant. Internet latency plays a huge role in user experience and application performance and viability. RSAWEB presents our Virtual Data Centre public cloud ( Infrastructure as a Service) offering out of two data centres ( Cape Town and Johannesburg), this allows our customers to enjoy low latency responses, as does other local cloud service providers with data centres in SA. Services hosted off shore will incur high latency and perhaps those applications would be better hosted locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.