Asking DStv and Netflix to collect TV license fees for SABC is a “crazy suggestion”

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Asking DStv and Netflix to collect TV license fees for SABC is a “crazy suggestion”

The South African Broadcasting Corporation’s (SABC) plan to ask Netflix and MultiChoice to collect TV license fees has been dismissed as unrealistic by experts.

Deputy Communications Minister Pinky Kekana has recently said the expanded definition of a TV licence is outdated and needs to be adjusted to current realities.

The SABC said regulation is needed which would require service providers like MultiChoice (DStv) and Netflix to collect TV licences on behalf of the SABC.

Cr4ig

Honorary Master
DSTV I understand as they broadcast SABC, but why netflix? This makes zero sense. I have netflix but don't use any SABC service, so why would I need to pay for it. Make the people that want to consume it pay, if they can't or won't then shut it down.

eg2505

Honorary Master
since when did calling a suggestion "crazy" stop our esteemed government officials,
they will still do it, their minds calculate money by how many BMW's and overseas holidays, ahem *conferences* they can go on.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
DSTV I understand as they broadcast SABC, but why netflix? This makes zero sense. I have netflix but don't use any SABC service, so why would I need to pay for it. Make the people that want to consume it pay, if they can't or won't then shut it down.

Don't come here with your logical and rational thoughts, bloody agent!

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Is it only for Netflix or if they do this will they do it to Amazon Prime as well. If they do Amazon Prime as well are they going to do Youtube?

I have some videos on my website, do people need a TV license to view that as well?

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member

The South African Broadcasting Corporation’s (SABC) plan to ask Netflix and MultiChoice to collect TV license fees has been dismissed as unrealistic by experts.

Deputy Communications Minister Pinky Kekana has recently said the expanded definition of a TV licence is outdated and needs to be adjusted to current realities.

The SABC said regulation is needed which would require service providers like MultiChoice (DStv) and Netflix to collect TV licences on behalf of the SABC.
*reserves comment for 3rd article*

MikeaMatrix

This is like a pizza company asking government to make burger companies force their customers to pay the Pizza company. The public has already voted, with the only method that works. Their wallets.

konfab

Honorary Master
No different than the government strong-arming the private sector to enforce their racial nationalism with affimative action and BEE.

konfab

Honorary Master
Anc government has no idea how business works, no logical thinking...
They do know how business works. They know that if they make it a law, a business will actually follow it, unlike the plethora of government depts under their control.

eg2505

Honorary Master
seriously whats next? how can they up the retard value?

I know, make everybody who drives a car with a certain make to pay "luxury" taxes over and above the usual taxes.