ASSIA upped my ADSL2+ speed to 24959kbps.

BTTB

Came to my PC now and there was the exclamation ! mark up when I logged in to the router, seems ASSIA had reset the connection some time this afternoon. The wind is blowing in Cape Town if that is any reason for the sudden instability.
"Your DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) seems unstable. We strongly recommend you submit feedback to our support team."
I notice immediately that the uplink speed was reduced from 1020 to 803kbps with an Upstream Interleaved Depth of 4, first time I have seen Upstream being anything other than Fastpath. This was with the -4db setting I applied last night and after ASSIA reset the router.

Changed it again to -3db, the router applied the new setting and Upstream went back to 1020kbps and Upstream Interleaved Depth back to Fastpath. Downstream Interleaved Depth went from 64 to 4.

Speedtest wasn't good after the change but I expect it may be because its mid-afternoon on a Friday, internet could be a bit crowded at the moment. Will retest later.

Attachments

WickedMONK3Y

I have been having a similar argument with Telkom on twitter and TelkomZA for about 2 months now. When my 10MB was on Fastpath it showed 15MB available but synced at 10MB while SNR was about 14 with a few CRC errors but overall quite stable. Recently ASSIA went back on and they insist no matter what I say that ASSIA is off and the line is Fastpath, but now it only connects at 10MB and shows no higher than 10MB and SNR sits between 6.2 and 7.2 and the line will randomly reset itself and every few days adjust down to 8MB and then come back up to 10MB. Usually when you asked them to set the profile to Fastpath it stayed that way for a while and then after maybe a few months would turn ASSIA back on and go interleaved, but now it seems they have found a way to leave ASSIA on permanently while apparently having the line on Fastpath because I get a profile screenshot from them showings its Fastpath, which has me utterly confused. Fibre it almost in my live so ill use that until I move (luckily they are now trenching there too!) and just be done with Telkom thankfully.

Good luck BTTB!

BTTB

Not much to report.
ASSIA reset my line twice early this morning at 01h00 and 01h58. Connection is still at 22719kbps, SNR hovering around 9db and stable.
Stability adjustment set at -2db.
Best speed this week.

Attachments

BTTB

Rounding off this topic before the year ends.

So my connection went though several weeks of no real issues or resets but in the last week or so it has been unstable and 2 days ago it kept resetting randomly. So I called Telkom yesterday and have changed my 20Mb ADSL2+ to 10Mb ADSL2+ and one or two resets last night, once during the early hours of this morning by ASSIA I and then finally one more reset just after 10h00 this morning it seems to have stabilised.
Odd thing was when I called Telkom yesterday to do the change, even the line from our other number was particularly noisy, even the Telkom saleslady took note of it.

So giving up on 20Mb ADSL2+ in this area despite living a stone throw away from the exchange. Such a pity Telkom cant upgrade our system to VDSL.
Would be super if my downstream interleave depth could be set at Fastpath permanently.

Attachments

SYNERGY

Executive Member
Rounding off this topic before the year ends.

So my connection went though several weeks of no real issues or resets but in the last week or so it has been unstable and 2 days ago it kept resetting randomly. So I called Telkom yesterday and have changed my 20Mb ADSL2+ to 10Mb ADSL2+ and one or two resets last night, once during the early hours of this morning by ASSIA I and then finally one more reset just after 10h00 this morning it seems to have stabilised.
Odd thing was when I called Telkom yesterday to do the change, even the line from our other number was particularly noisy, even the Telkom saleslady took note of it.

So giving up on 20Mb ADSL2+ in this area despite living a stone throw away from the exchange. Such a pity Telkom cant upgrade our system to VDSL.
Would be super if my downstream interleave depth could be set at Fastpath permanently.
Sorry man, I had similar issues. Changed VDSL and all is fine. Even thou the map shows no support in my area...

Also, Telkom as an ISP is randomly going dead for a few seconds up to a minute every night. Still connected, no throughput. Kinda like Cell C.

BTTB

Last week SAIX's Noticeboard showed our Telkom Exchange was due for 24 hours of maintenance.
I got 2 or 3 sms from Telkom between last week and this week and now it seems the line noise is gone, at least its not being identified by my ASUS DSL-AC52U Router, see attachment reflecting 10Mb ADSL.

So to recap, about 2 weeks ago I downgraded from 20Mb to 10Mb due to constant resets on our ADSL line since August, having always been on 10Mb before that and things were OK. Thought the downgrade would stablise the line a bit and increase the SNR margin, which it did .... but we still got the resets.

Anyway, whatever Telkom did seems to have resolved the issue. The new difference is that I am now on Interleaved mode for Downstream and Upstream and one other noticeable difference is that INP and POWER on my DSL Status is higher and on both Downstream and Upstream which was never the case before.

I will call Telkom in the New Year and hear if VDSL is now available on our DP. It doesn't show 40Mb on the Openserve ISP Checker when you zoom in, still 20Mb which is ADSL2+.

In summary Telkom's exchange here was a mess since August and probably before and they only attended to the problem now. Seems I downgraded from 20Mb to 10Mb a tad early.

Attachments

Internet was quite terrible over summer, often copping out at around 20h00 for some reason or other.....but things seem to be looking up a bit with ADSL here.
Openserve were up on a neighbouring pole recently and ever since for some reason the internet appears to be stable and can hold a link for more than a day with no CRC errors.

Have also enabled an 2Mb ADSL line at our holiday house and will be testing it this weekend.
Maximum speed available is 4Mb there. Wish me good luck.

Attachments

cavedog

Honorary Master
@BTTB

Been reading through your posts. You attenuation is so low you very close to the dslam or imax.

With your attenuation reading you would be able to get 40Mbps vdsl without any issues whatsoever so tha fact that you struggle with 20 means you have a line fault. Somewhere along the line your line is exposed somehow or badly connected.

20Mbps should be a breeze for your line and should have plenty of SNR to spare so you should rather look at the line itself than ASSIA. Have you tried for Openserve to move you to another copper line and see if that helps?

@BTTB

Been reading through your posts. You attenuation is so low you very close to the dslam or imax.

With your attenuation reading you would be able to get 40Mbps vdsl without any issues whatsoever so tha fact that you struggle with 20 means you have a line fault. Somewhere along the line your line is exposed somehow or badly connected.

20Mbps should be a breeze for your line and should have plenty of SNR to spare so you should rather look at the line itself than ASSIA. Have you tried for Openserve to move you to another copper line and see if that helps?
Thanks for your interest.
Yep, I'm a little over a catty's length away from the Exchange hence the attenuation.

I did have 20Mbps ADSL2+ last year for a few months and then in August last year the connection started giving problems.
Earlier this year I called Telkom and told them to drop it back to 10Mbps hoping this would help resolve the constant disconnects and resets, but that did not help either.
Telkom came around to check my line last year. Nothing wrong on my side and checked the joins on the first pole from our building.
When I first installed ADSL many years ago I made sure that Telkom installed that thick outdoor cable from the pole all the way into my office with no joins, just to clarify that the line fault does not lie on my side.

As mentioned above, a couple of weeks ago Telkom asked to gain entry on to our property and they were up a different pole this time and ever since then our line seems stable as you can see in the image I captured of my routers DSL Status. A neighbour may have called them about his line?

It seems so ironic, here we are debating about Telkoms Scooby Doo Network and down the road from us contractors are digging up pavements making ready for fiber.
Telkom may have eventually sorted out the ADSL just in time for it to be replaced.