Asus GTX560 Ti and 500W PSU

rudivdw

Hi guys, I'm about to buy myself a GTX560 Ti 1Gig card, (for about R2300) - I have a 500W PSU, will that be sufficient for the card? I have 4 hard drives in my case as well, don't know if that makes a huge difference though...

I'm upgrading from my aging 8800GT, it's been more than 3 years and I think it's finally time! hehe

Also, what do you guys think of the 560?

Thanks!

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
560 is good, and will run on 500watt if it is a corsair, if it is odin or no name brand it wont :p

Pada

Executive Member
4 HDD's + GTX560Ti on a cheap 500W PSU won't mix.

~R2300 for an Asus/MSI/Gigabyte GTX560Ti is an awesome price if it includes VAT.
The best price that I can get for one is this MSI GTX560Ti Twin Frozr II @ ~R2350

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Hi guys, I'm about to buy myself a GTX560 Ti 1Gig card, (for about R2300) - I have a 500W PSU, will that be sufficient for the card? I have 4 hard drives in my case as well, don't know if that makes a huge difference though...

I'm upgrading from my aging 8800GT, it's been more than 3 years and I think it's finally time! hehe

Thanks!
It depends on the Power supply. If it's a crap one, then no. You will get power issues. You could maybe look at a 6950, which gives better performance and uses less power, but then again, it really depends on what power supply you have. Even a 6950 might be cutting it close.

russellO

Thanks!
The only way to know for sure is, like a few guys have mentioned, check the manufacturers website for the PSU and then check the manufacturers for gfx card, CPU and hard drives. Add up the wattage for the devices and of course you need a little left over.

E.g. I have a Antec Earthwatts 80 PLus 430W. I just ordered a Gigabyte Radeon 6850 which only uses 127W under load and 19W when idle. My 2 WD Caviar Black Editions say they use 7.8W under load and I have a 65W Core 2 Duo. Some gets used by MB, system fans etc but there is still juice left over.

Jedijo

Yea, I agree with the obove..I had a 520w corsair and was fine for my 560ti 900mhz and 3 HDD's. Thinking of getting him a little friend so i popped in a 800w corsair. i7 950 setup

rudivdw

ahhh great thanks for the advise guys! I have a aerocool 500W psu, but it's pretty old already, 4 years or so (my 620W one failed beginning of the year, so I took this one from my other PC)... so you reckon it would be safer to get a bigger PSU as well hey? I have "access" to Cougar ones from Pinnacle, and Coolermaster from Axiz - which do you reckon is more reliable and better value for money?

650W 80+ Cougar for about R800
600W Coolermaster for about R700
650W 80+ Coolermaster for about R800

thoughts?

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
ahhh great thanks for the advise guys! I have a aerocool 500W psu, but it's pretty old already, 4 years or so (my 620W one failed beginning of the year, so I took this one from my other PC)... so you reckon it would be safer to get a bigger PSU as well hey? I have "access" to Cougar ones from Pinnacle, and Coolermaster from Axiz - which do you reckon is more reliable and better value for money?

thoughts?
The one I bolded.

agentrfr

Expert Member
Power supply is something you shouldn't think about cutting close. IMO, it's better to just buy an 850w or 1000w. You'll end up using the extra power for your next upgrade anyway.

Also, don't be fooled by trying to add components watt by watt; most of the components are inductors, and the math gets wacky when you start putting the phasors all together. Rule of thumb: 80% is all you'll ever be able to use of it, and you need 125% more than what is says you need ("It" being your CPU, Hard-drive or any other component)

PostmanPot

Honorary Master

thoughts?
None. Either:

Corsair CX500 ±R625
Corsair GS600 ±R875
Corsair TX650V2 ±R975

They will all work.

If you want real quality, stay away from Cooler Master, unless it's a Silent Pro / Silent Pro Gold.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Power supply is something you shouldn't think about cutting close. IMO, it's better to just buy an 850w or 1000w. You'll end up using the extra power for your next upgrade anyway.

Also, don't be fooled by trying to add components watt by watt; most of the components are inductors, and the math gets wacky when you start putting the phasors all together. Rule of thumb: 80% is all you'll ever be able to use of it, and you need 125% more than what is says you need ("It" being your CPU, Hard-drive or any other component)
Pull****. Unless he is running two graphics cards he will never need an 800watt. Also Most components have all of that taken into account already and have a margin of error built in. It's when people start using power supplies rated for peak, rather than continuous usage that you get problems.

Pada

Executive Member
You can run 2x GTX560Ti's + i5 2500k - all overclocked to their limits with air coolers, and then you'll still have juice left on the Corsair TX650v2!

Generally the power supplies have poor efficiencies when the load is like under 10%, and most PC's that idle will use 100W or less. So you'll most likely get a better efficiency off a good 650W PSU than you'll get from a 1000W unit, unless you're going to draw 500W at 90% of the time.

So I'll recommend the 850W - 1000W PSU's for people who are running triple/quad SLI/CrossFire setups, or two VERY high end GPU's - like the 2x GTX580's.

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
I run a gtx 570 (factory overclocked) on a (useless) 630W Raidmax Volcano.
Crysis 2 restarts the machine.

It's not temperature - run an antec 620 cooler on the cpu (22 deg).
So it can only be power related.

I won't hazard to run games on this machine untill I inistall my (newly) purchased Cosair AX850.

Apart from a quality monitor, a quality psu is the most important purchase one can make. (opinion).

So, pick the best you can afford. It's important.

rudivdw

From the looks of things I'm pretty much better off getting a Corsair hey? Thanks again for all the advice. I'm now busy registering as a reseller with Frontosa. I'm not a full on gamer, so I doubt if I'll ever go SLI or so, will go for the TX650 - I like the 5 year warranty it comes with - I had an Aerocool, which failed in just under four years, and now Axiz doesn't even sell them anymore...

thanks again, and if any of you Cape Town folk wanna order something through me from one of my suppliers, just give me a shout!

rudivdw

Just ordered the graphics card, the price came down even more! Cost is now R2160!! whoohooo!

GeOgre

None. Either:

Corsair CX500 ±R625
Corsair GS600 ±R875
Corsair TX650V2 ±R975

They will all work.

If you want real quality, stay away from Cooler Master, unless it's a Silent Pro / Silent Pro Gold.
You can get a Corsair GS600 for R720 .
http://titan-ice.co.za/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2863

For a GTX 560Ti I would say that really is the minimum.

The Coolermaster GX series are crap, they just fail. the Silent Pro Gold are quite good and do last.