ASUS rt ac68u - good/no-good - what is the view out there

Mux

I am getting fiber soon - eta Aug 2019 and prefer to have my own router rather than the "free to use" routers which makes changing ISP's a schlep.
I am looking at the asus-rt-ac68u. What is the 1st hand experience out there? Any specific reason I should go for the ISP's "free router"?

Zarnicate

In general I love ASUS networking equipment. (Switches and Routers). The WebGUI is easy to use and setup.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on the RT-AC68U. If you can afford it I would recommend the RT-AC87U.
The range is great on the WiFi. You can also configure it to block access during certain times (limit the kids on usages etc).

The routers you receive from ISP's are just not that great. I only keep it for backup purposes or to use as an access point for WiFi (if the model supports it)

Reactions: Mux

owl

In general I love ASUS networking equipment. (Switches and Routers). The WebGUI is easy to use and setup.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on the RT-AC68U. If you can afford it I would recommend the RT-AC87U.
The range is great on the WiFi. You can also configure it to block access during certain times (limit the kids on usages etc).
I am looking for something like this, Would you be able to block just Instagram from certain users? They must still be able to get Whatsapp.

Mux

The routers you receive from ISP's are just not that great. I only keep it for backup purposes or to use as an access point for WiFi (if the model supports it)
Thank you @Zarnicate. This is the type of feedback I was hoping to get. I did a compare on the Asus site and there are minimal differences. It does seem the RT-AC87U will be better for me. The price difference isn't a train smash.