Asus ZenFone 6 New just delivered, looks refurbished. Has scratches and scuff mark

hello.goo

Hi MyBB peoples, hope you are all holding up well during the lockdown! :)

I am here to ask for your advice with regards to a purchase.

I have just received delivery of an Asus ZenFone 6. I bought it from Zeek Online.
Pre-Unboxing
IMG_20200525_111210.jpg

However, as soon as I started the unboxing, I noticed scuff marks on the grey box

IMG_20200525_120954.jpg
IMG_20200525_121021.jpg

This wouldn't be an issue for me, as long as the device was in brand-new condition, seeing as I bought it new, not refurbished, not 2nd hand "like-new"....

First sign that the device had been repacked, was this tear:

IMG_20200525_122139.jpg

Signs of use:
Scratch and chip on camera, as well as dust in grooves
IMG_20200525_123031.jpg

The device has possibly been opened. There is a scuff mark along edge of screen, possibly been replaced? Similar scuff mark along edge of back, tool inserted and moved along groove to open device?

What recourse do I have? Can I at this moment return the device and have a new one sent?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

WAslayer

Executive Member
Have you contacted zeekonline before posting here..? Surely they have a returns process..?

hello.goo

Have you contacted zeekonline before posting here..? Surely they have a returns process..?
Hi WASlayer, I have not contacted them yet. Not sure if I should ask for a swap, or return under the 7 day. Or if it is a refurbished phone, how to determine this and file a fraud claim.

From the Zeek website:

"We want you to love the devices and accessories that you buy from us. Should you change your mind within 7 days of receipt of the item and you wish to return anything that you have bought from us, we'll be happy to refund or exchange a product provided that it is still sealed in its original packaging and it meets the below conditions.

To qualify for a refund or exchange the product must be: Completely unused and in "as new" condition (e.g. if you have opened the box to examine the product you must have done so without damaging or marking the product in any way). It should be returned with the original box, packing and accessories. A refund or exchange (minus your original shipping charges) can only be given after we have received the item back and inspected it."

I did inspect the device, but did not scratch it. But how can I prove this? I did not video the unboxing..

Last edited:

hello.goo

Contact them? It's much easier than asking about what-if scenarios here, as what'll happen is between you and them. If they deny you, then I can understand the post.
I have sent them an email, asking about swapping if possible, otherwise starting the return process. Will post back when I get updates.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Good news, they are doing a swap of the device with another.
It’s not “good news”.

No other outcome should have been acceptable for this issue.

One can certainly consider that a mistake could have been made, but when things like this pop up relating to shops I’ve never heard of I always assume where there is smoke there is fire.

When you get the new one do yourself a favour and check in with Asus directly regarding its warranty status and if possible origin.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Looks like they didn't want to take a knock on a returned R14k phone so they took a chance.

On principle alone you should've asked for a refund and take your business elsewhere.

It's a high risk device as it is.

hello.goo

Went in on Monday, and returned the device. I inspected the new device supplied, and confirmed happy before leaving the warehouse.

@SauRoNZA @WaxLyrical It is the only shop I found locally stocking the Zenfone 6. They had stock of 2 devices, of which the one I received could have been a return as you mentioned. They sorted it out, so I am happy. The inconvenience of spending a few days more on my old phone was unfortunate. But not such a big deal that I was enraged.

I did a lookup on the IMEI, and they are clean. Also, registered the device on Asus, by serial number, and that went through fine. I will get in touch with Asus directly as suggested

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Went in on Monday, and returned the device. I inspected the new device supplied, and confirmed happy before leaving the warehouse.

@SauRoNZA @WaxLyrical It is the only shop I found locally stocking the Zenfone 6. They had stock of 2 devices, of which the one I received could have been a return as you mentioned. They sorted it out, so I am happy. The inconvenience of spending a few days more on my old phone was unfortunate. But not such a big deal that I was enraged.

I did a lookup on the IMEI, and they are clean. Also, registered the device on Asus, by serial number, and that went through fine. I will get in touch with Asus directly as suggested
Glad you got sorted.
Curious what attracted you to this phone?

hello.goo

Glad you got sorted.
Curious what attracted you to this phone?
1. It has a Li-Po battery (And a friggin huge one at that too! Although the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra also has a 5000mAh battery, it is out of my price range.)

2. There are other phones that come with similar spec, like the Redmi k20 pro, same Snapdragon 855, and are less expensive. But even before the ban on Huawei in US, I had my eye on news about redirecting network traffic via China. I made a choice then to not buy tech designed by Chinese companies.

3. The camera has a Sony sensor: The main camera array features a primary 48MP camera (Sony IMX586 sensor, 0.8µm pixels, f/1.79 lens, 26mm lens, 1/2.0” sensor) and a 13MP ultrawide camera (f/2.4, 125mm) . My old phone also had a Sony sensor, and I was happy with its shots.

4. Fingerprint sensor on back, like my old phone. It sits exactly where my finger goes while pulling out of pocket. Many new devices are following suit with Samsung and putting under screen sensors.

5. My HyperX headphones are wired only, so to avoid them becoming redundant, having a headphone jack is still relevant to me today.

I was actually planning on going the Apple route because they support devices for longer as well as better privacy policies than Google/Android, but changed my mind last minute after reading about how they employed contractors to listen to recordings of Siri. Although they put a halt to the practice, the damage is done. (The article I read did mention about an opt in/out being available..)