at the end with this Vista Pc----

Creativecontrol

Hey All

Im really trying to avoid formatting my pc(Core 2 Duo 3Ghz, 4Gb Ram, Vista 64Bit, 500Gb Seagate Drive) But I dont know what to do anymore with it...

It boots, and from the moment its running, whenever I click anything, it hangs, for between 5 seconds to 1 Minute, nothing works, then everything comes alive again. Had AVG on the system, no viruses were found, Since have removed AVG. In resource Monitor, The hdd is constantly peaking, every 2 seconds or so, and Cpu is peaking aswell, with really nothing running in the background. Winamp even cutting out every 5 seconds while playing...

Now this...

Dunno what to do anymore...

Please suggestions...

Thanks.

Creativecontrol

Yeah i heard about windows 7 from some people, bandwidth is an issue now... So yeah, gotta stick with Vista unfortunately... also dont really have the time to format at the moment....

killadoob

Honorary Master
Does it hang all the time?

Sounds like a reload is your only choice hey.

Schwartz

Expert Member
once you have updated avast , set it to do a boot time scan.. then once it is set just restart your PC and it will scan in boot!

howardb

Expert Member
Try something like WinPatrol to see what's loading when you boot - you can safely disable/enable services, programs, startup programs, etc...

I would certainly try an second anti-virus scanner (just to be sure), but don't have them both running at the same time - disable or uninstall one whilst using the other.

I'd also try a few adware and malware scanners like SpyBot S&D, Spyware Doctor, SuperAntiSpyware, etc. just to make sure that you don't have any additional programs you're not aware of :)

From what you describe, it sounds pretty much like a virus/malware that's chewing your system. If you go to your Task Manager, what process is using all your resources when it freezes or slows down?

ponder

Honorary Master
Why do people rate avast so highly? Avira is a much better product. When in doubt revert back to XP.

DJNgoma

Expert Member
Why do people rate avast so highly? Avira is a much better product. When in doubt revert back to XP.

They rate Avast so highly because it's free on the Home Edition and spending money on other solutions is a no-no. When in doubt revert forward to 7.

K

kingrob

If your pc is hanging, it might be hardware that's not working right, like faulty RAM, the motherboard might have a problem - can be lots of things.

Might also be hardware drivers, or startup programs causing it.

Creativecontrol

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions...

Here is the story from Avast, no viruses found or the like, but "cannot read from 21 files", result. btw i have this same problem when trying to backup my info, it seems something is damaging my info, like in my pictures folder, one or two pictures have been damaged so only half of them display, is this malware that does this?

Howardb - At the moment its not doing it, will report back as soon as it starts hanging again to report what resources are being chewed. When I close winamp, it seems the problem gets better, I suspect something is amiss with sound drivers, but that doesnt explain the damaged files...

Windows 7, I see that if I d/l it, it will expire next yr, then what? And also anyone know the size?

Thanks again all...

Creativecontrol

For sure, it looks great.

On the topic of windows 7, anyone downloaded the RC? And what with the expiry in March 2010? Size of d.l?

DJNgoma

Expert Member
For sure, it looks great.

On the topic of windows 7, anyone downloaded the RC? And what with the expiry in March 2010? Size of d.l?

Yes, I have. Expiry date is there because it is a test product. 32bit = 2.5GB, 64bit = 3.2GB.