ATM Fraud- Thief made away with R62,000.

Questii

Help anyone that reads this.
A friend was at the ATM using a visa card from the Cayman islands on Sunday. A fraudster came and they had a scuffle and he made off with the card. My friend called visa to cancel the card immediately, also calling back again to double check. Because the Cayman Islands is 7 hours behind SA, he called when business opened to check if the card was cancelled and his bank only cancelled it then.
When he checked his online profile he finds 6 withdrawals totaling R62000. There no ATM limits for overseas accounts.
He's going to take it up with his bank and visa .
Where does the law stand in this regard?
And another thing; what recourse do we have through the law? He tried to open a case yesterday but they said he should print bank statements and return with them showing the fraudulent withdrawals then a case will be opened. This will hopefully lead to a case that gets investigated. But cctv footage should be available from the ATM and the places this thief made the withdrawals I assume. Will the police even track him? We know he did this at the fourways crossing standard bank, we know what he looks like, what he drove off in, and that 3 withdrawals were at rivonia crossing, with the last three (the biggest), in Meadowlands.
Help. I'm feeling helpless and defeated by our people in this country. I want the money back through the bank system hopefully. But I want that guy caught with every fiber in me:-(

rebel998

Expert Member
Help anyone that reads this.
A friend was at the ATM using a visa card from the Cayman islands on Sunday. A fraudster came and they had a scuffle and he made off with the card. My friend called visa to cancel the card immediately, also calling back again to double check. Because the Cayman Islands is 7 hours behind SA, he called when business opened to check if the card was cancelled and his bank only cancelled it then.
When he checked his online profile he finds 6 withdrawals totaling R62000. There no ATM limits for overseas accounts.
He's going to take it up with his bank and visa .
Where does the law stand in this regard?
And another thing; what recourse do we have through the law? He tried to open a case yesterday but they said he should print bank statements and return with them showing the fraudulent withdrawals then a case will be opened. This will hopefully lead to a case that gets investigated. But cctv footage should be available from the ATM and the places this thief made the withdrawals I assume. Will the police even track him? We know he did this at the fourways crossing standard bank, we know what he looks like, what he drove off in, and that 3 withdrawals were at rivonia crossing, with the last three (the biggest), in Meadowlands.
Help. I'm feeling helpless and defeated by our people in this country. I want the money back through the bank system hopefully. But I want that guy caught with every fiber in me:-(
Byebye R62000. Unless youre connected theres nothing to do.

Shaun108

Executive Member
That's what you get for not setting up a limit on your profile.

Keegan

Expert Member
For lost cards I don't think there is business hours..
You can call to stop the card at anytime...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
If the friend has record of the call to VISA requesting a Card cancellation immediately after the incident, and VISA didn't cancel then VISA is liable for the withdrawals.. simple.

IzZzy

Executive Member
Fraud lines are open all hours. I've bought something off ebay at 2am once, and had FNB calling me seconds later about potential fraud.

Keegan

Expert Member
If the friend has record of the call to VISA requesting a Card cancellation immediately after the incident, and VISA didn't cancel then VISA is liable for the withdrawals.. simple.
He doesn't have to have the actual recording, I'm sure call's to VISA are recorded.
He just needs the ref no.

NiTeD

Expert Member
Could have gone online and blocked the card, "friend" not very smart:D

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
You are going to be out of luck unless you have a reference number from Visa regarding the call being made and even then you might run into the situation that the reference number is "wrong". I had a case where my overseas bank had to recycle my card, PIN and TAN block (contains a block of 6-digit numbers which serve as authentication for transactions) and sent the 3 pieces of information in 3 separate registered letters (stupid on their part, as I told them to use a courier) and all 3 letters where intercepted and then used to clear out my overseas bank account with wiretransfers to Thailand and several ATM withdrawals also from Rivonia.

In my scenario it was only due to the negligence of the bank that all funds where refunded (not without lots of back and forth). The bank had surveillance footage, a criminal case was opened and both SAPS and the local bank refused to assist the international bank with the investigation. I think attempting to get the criminals to book will not result in anything.

BTW: I am surprised about this happening at Fourways Crossing - if so it would have to be either at SBSA (which always has guards outside - unless it is at some dodge hour) or in the food-court, where it would be not easy for anyone to run off without being caught. Somehow I am starting to think there is more to this one-post-wonder.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Just tell your friend to deposit R62K back into his account and all will be well again. ;)

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
He doesn't have to have the actual recording, I'm sure call's to VISA are recorded.
He just needs the ref no.
I'm not talking about a recording... just a record (aka reference number or something) :)

Arthur

Honorary Master
You say "we know" what the perp looked like and what car he drove off in. Were you there?

Also, how did they get the card-owner's PIN? Just curious, so I can avoid the same fate.