Attacks on trucks are an attack on the economy

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Seems like this is related to the atdf court case and a follow on from the one in July which was a damp squib... So I expect this one to be similar.

schumi

Honorary Master
Truck driver burnt, shot in brutal KZN attack
A KwaZulu-Natal truck driver was killed in yet another brutal attack in the province on Monday.

The driver, identified as Charles Ntini, 37, who is believed to be a foreign national, was found dead next to his burning truck on the N2 Main Harding road in Paddock, in southern KZN.

Provincial police spokesperson Col Thembeka Mbele confirmed the incident and said a provincial task team would be investigating.

"On August 19 2019 at 12:10, police received a call regarding a truck which was on fire on the N2 Main Harding road in Paddock. Upon arrival at the scene, police found the driver lying on the road near the driver’s door. He had bullet wounds in the left arm and chest and had burn injuries to his body. The 37-year-old driver was declared dead on the scene.

More at:

Last edited:

Milano

Honorary Master

schumi

Honorary Master
Broken jaw, broken nose, skin burnt off: foreign truck drivers’ nightmare in SA

“One of them, who had a pistol in his hand, ordered me to tip all the coal in my truck on to the road and to leave the truck and go back to Zimbabwe. I tipped over the coal and ran away.”
This is how a foreign truck driver described his terrifying ordeal at the hands of a mob that forced him to stop in Witbank, Mpumalanga. “They demanded to see my licence, shouting that all foreign drivers must fall.”
Human Rights Watch said in a report on Monday, citing estimates by SA’s Road Freight Association (RFA), that more than 200 people, mostly foreign truck drivers, had been killed in such incidents the country since March 2018.
“South African authorities should urgently intervene to stop the unlawful, unprovoked, and violent attacks and harassment of foreign truck drivers and bring the perpetrators to justice,” said Dewa Mavhinga, southern Africa director at Human Rights Watch.
“Any problems in the trucking industry, including undocumented drivers, are for the relevant authorities to address, and there is no defence to groups committing such violent, horrific crimes.”
Human Rights Watch said foreign truck drivers were victims of violence, intimidation and harassment in a cycle of what it called xenophobic violence.

More at:

ToxicBunny

For something that is an attack on the economy, the cops are proving to be totally fscking useless in dealing with it...

Eniigma

Expert Member
Does anyone know if there is any truth to the story going around that trucks have been told to stay off all the roads nation wide from Monday and any trucks operating will be tourched? Stupid WA messag going around. Also says the boarders are already closed to forgien truckers ... blah blah blah.

Im 99% sure it's a bunch of bs, by i recall a story last week about forgien truckers being warned about sa, but didn't read it.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Does anyone know if there is any truth to the story going around that trucks have been told to stay off all the roads nation wide from Monday and any trucks operating will be tourched? Stupid WA messag going around. Also says the boarders are already closed to forgien truckers ... blah blah blah.

Im 99% sure it's a bunch of bs, by i recall a story last week about forgien truckers being warned about sa, but didn't read it.
This week the foreigners in PTA were attacked and their shops burned. It seems to be escalating.

I don't know about the trucks. But a Xenophobic flare-up won't surprise me.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Sounds a bit fishy. All that talk about weeks and weeks of no truck. Remember that government employees get paid around the 15th of every month. There is no way they will allow disruptions to them getting to fully stocked stores.

schumi

Honorary Master
Counting the cost of N3 truck attacks, anti-government protests

A spike in the severity and number of claims due to protest action has hit the state-owned SA Special Risk Insurance Association’s (Sasria’s) bottom line, leaving it unable to pay dividends to the government for the first time since 2009.

This is according to its MD, Cedric Masondo.

The short-term insurance company, which provides special risk cover for public disorder, strikes, riots and terrorism, recorded its first pretax loss, R73m, for the year to end-March, down from the previous year’s R1.3bn profit.

The losses were predominantly driven by a 138% increase in net insurance claims, which reached R1.58bn.

More at:

ɹǝuuᴉM

Expert Member

More at:
The pension funds! Grab them and pay the damages LOL

ToxicBunny

More at:
Might expect some action from the government on this now since it has officially hit their bottom line to the tune of a billion rand...

schumi

Honorary Master
PICS: Trucks torched, roads blocked as protestors shutdown Ladysmith

Durban - Five trucks were torched on Monday night and most roads leading into Ladysmith in northern Kwazulu-Natal were blocked by angry protestors who ramped up their demands for Mayor Vincent Madlala to vacate his office.

The Ladysmith city centre was a ghost town on Tuesday morning as taxi operators and other community protestors blocked roads leading into the CBD. The main police station was not staffed as several police officers could not reach the station for their shift.

"No members or workers are at work. It's bad literally for our community service members," a resident, who had gone into the station on Tuesday morning, to get copies certified told the Ladysmith Herald.

The resident who did not want to be named said: "What happens if we need the police, what then, this is so scary."

All schools in the area were also closed on Tuesday and most businesses were expected not to open.

More at:

schumi

Honorary Master
Six trucks torched in KZN as wave of protests erupt over foreign drivers

Durban - VIOLENT protests across the country have resulted in several trucks being torched and highways blockaded. The protesters are thought to be truck drivers opposed to the employment of foreigners in the industry.

Six trucks have been torched in KwaZulu-Natal since the drivers’ national shutdown began on Tuesday. On Wednesday traffic was disrupted by trucks on the M4 south and M25 near KwaMashu, as well as the N2 north near the Pavilion. News of the planned shutdown was reported on Monday when disgruntled drivers called for foreign drivers to go.

More at : https://www.iol.co.za/dailynews/new...-protests-erupt-over-foreign-drivers-50678352