Attention DA:An insulted voter speaks.

JustAsk

Expert Member
Let me just state upfront that this piece is about and directed at the DA. So if you find yourself thinking “for someone disappointed in the DA, he sure mentions them a lot”, worry not, it IS intentional.

The Democratic Alliance is currently the largest opposition party in South African politics. It has a greater than proportionate presence in media outlets. Especially, those targeting the higher LSMs. And until recently it had been running its best and most likely to succeed election strategy in its short existence. Even the emergence of the break-away movement didn’t seem to stall their momentum.

Then Helen Zille lost the plot. No, I’m not talking about the jet-setter strategy, that’s for the eco-warriors to comment on, I know not nearly enough about ecological matters to comment on that. What I do know though is what I expect political parties vying for my vote and the reins of power to do. And reducing my right to vote to a referendum on one man is not it.

I have no beef with the DA wishing to highlight what they feel is a potential threat to democracy/the constitution/their sleeping habits etc But that’s the key — HIGHLIGHT; I feel insulted as a voter when the organisation with arguably the loudest voice in the country decides to stop propagating its policies and urges me to use my vote in a negative manner. Is this what the legacy of Helen Suzman has come to? Scaremongering? Really DA, is that it?

Ndumiso Ngcobo wrote an excellent piece some weeks back on how the most effective way of reaching out to a new audience is to sing a tune (insert own Mshini Wami joke here) that resonates with something inside them. Voting is not a negative action. Especially not for a majority that is participating in only its fourth national election. We are just not there yet mense.

Granted, I was never likely to vote DA (look no further than how Cape Town is the perfect microcosm of “two South Africas” for the reason why) but knowing there are other options available should the ANC really prove itself not worthy of my vote (hold your tongues people, I’m not done yet) is one of the things that make me feel secure about our democracy regardless of what majority the ANC has.

But to vote for an opposition party whose rallies have Zuma’s name splashed all over their T-shirts, billboards, posters and hoardings? None of the ANC’s election paraphernalia have Zuma’s name splashed on them as much. You have his face, as does every party, but the message is ANC, ditto the IFP, FF+, ID etc. And the message is vote FOR, not this “gevaar” nothingness inflicted on us by the DA. The MDC didn’t give Robert Mugabe a skrik by bashing him. He gets bashed all the time. It’s become so commonplace as to be useless in political strategy. They instead promised Zimbabweans a better future. Ditto Barack Obama when the Republicans started throwing mud around, he just carried with a, positive message. Why? Because negativity only works on the verkrampte, and lets be frank, as noisy as those types may be, they are never the majority of any society.

Is that really all the DA sees SA as being about? Think of the last DA press conference/public exhalation you encountered, what resonated most in your head afterwards? Zuma. Either you were FOR or you were AGAINST him, but Zuma dominated your consciousness. How is that good for the DA specifically?

Guys come on, you CAN do better. And the SA public deserves your very best.

LINK

Pretty much my view too.

If the ANC gets a 2/3 majority,you can thank DAUW and his party for that.

Freshy-ZN

Executive Member
One of the many reasons people might vote is to prevent something terrible happening. Like Zuma coming to power. This article is just DA bashing.

dappled

Banned
Not a single statement of weight in all those hundreds of words. Even I could do better at meaningful criticism of the DA... and I'm going to be voting for them!

dappled

Banned
The comparison with the MDC.... presumably this leaves the ANC playing the role of ZANU-PF? Maybe this blogger is not so stupid after all....

JustAsk

Expert Member
Not a single statement of weight in all those hundreds of words. Even I could do better at meaningful criticism of the DA... and I'm going to be voting for them!

You and Freshy-ZN are missing the point.The guy don't criticise the DA as a party,but their narrow minded campaigning...or lack of any.

And if you read the comments you'll see many voters,even da ones, feel the same.

Last edited:

TheHiveMind

Banned
Great point.. and then he loses all respect by not pointing out that the ANC uses exactly the same tactic to the n'th degree. Calling people counter revolutionaries and racists lol and suggesting that a vote against them is a vote against lil baby jesus.

Last edited:

3G4me

This guy is missing the point. DA started this campaign 2 weeks before elections...

U think they are targeting ANC voters? That would just be stupid. Nothing they do or say 2 weeks before elections is going to budge ANC "loyalists". Their stop zuma campaign is aimed at the fence sitters, those who may not vote because they don't know who to vote for, they are probably normally ANC supporters, but don't like or trust Zuma. Or they are not sure which opposition party to go for.

If stop zuma is the deciding factor for them in the last 2 weeks, then it's a good campaign.

JustAsk

Expert Member
This guy is missing the point. DA started this campaign 2 weeks before elections...

U think they are targeting ANC voters? That would just be stupid. Nothing they do or say 2 weeks before elections is going to budge ANC "loyalists". Their stop zuma campaign is aimed at the fence sitters, those who may not vote because they don't know who to vote for, they are probably normally ANC supporters, but don't like or trust Zuma. Or they are not sure which opposition party to go for.

If stop zuma is the deciding factor for them in the last 2 weeks, then it's a good campaign.

The "Stop Zuma" campaign started just after the NPA decision.

By going with your logic that means the DA wants to just stay the opposition because if they really want to grow past that,they MUST target Anc supporters.

Freshy-ZN

Executive Member
They are targeting everyone with their promises of a proper government. Unfortunately the vast majority of voters make two short planks look like a computer. The Stop Zuma issue is just due to recent developments and personally I couldnt agree more.

3G4me

The "Stop Zuma" campaign started just after the NPA decision.

By going with your logic that means the DA wants to just stay the opposition because if they really want to grow past that,they MUST target Anc supporters.

If you watched their election manifesto, their target was to win Cape town and prove what they can do when they govern, and to stop 2 thirds majority. 2014 will be when they start to go for a win - even they know it's too early for that now. They will only be successful targeting ANC voters when they are able to win trust, for that they must prove that they govern better than ANC - even if it is only cape town for now.

And they have to do this despite the ANC campaigning about them being apartheid supporters who intend to bring it back - never true - but fear mongering works for ANC, why not for all?

TonyHawk

Expert Member
You and Freshy-ZN are missing the point.The guy don't criticise the DA as a party,but their narrow minded campaigning...or lack of any.

And if you read the comments you'll see many voters,even da ones, feel the same.

I'm a DA supporter again... and emailed them complaining that they use the Cronies thing too much... they replied and I was satisfied with their reply...

You might have a point about targeting Zuma is not doing the DA any good.. but I believe it supports it more than against it.. :rolleyes:

Its a strategy of new ammo he supplies everytime... I'll go with it too... but if it fails in the end... no ones perfect... especially the ANC :D

chiskop

Executive Member
I'm a DA supporter again... and emailed them complaining that they use the Cronies thing too much... they replied and I was satisfied with their reply...
Out of interest, what was their reply to your mail?

You might have a point about targeting Zuma is not doing the DA any good.. but I believe it supports it more than against it.. :rolleyes:
Just looking at this thread and the other one on the same topic, it is clearly a polarising campaign. I'm no election campaign manager, but it looks to me like the "Stop Zuma" campaign is better recieved by people who are already committed DA voters. It is less well recieved with people who are undecided or are not traditional DA voters.

I think the campaign may be antagonising people who might have thought about voting for the DA.

Last edited:

davemc

Executive Member
And reducing my right to vote to a referendum on one man is not it.
i.e. This person is openly stating that Zuma is not dangerous. The same man that asks for his day in court while at the same time dodging his day in court like a guilty man. The same man that has enough power to force the release of the crime statistics, who kept his mouth shut when they statistics were held back. This man has proven himself to be on the same level as the gangsters I grew up with, and this is not the kind of person I would EVER want to run my country.

Granted, I was never likely to vote DA but knowing there are other options available should the ANC really prove itself not worthy of my vote is one of the things that make me feel secure about our democracy regardless of what majority the ANC has.
This person fails to realise that there is no democracy when one party has 100% control of the country. Especially when the controlling party is lead and fully supported by a man who lives and breaths with the same virtues as a gangster.

Finally, it is blatantly clear to me that that person fails to understand that this country does NOT belong to the ANC! It belongs to me, and to him.

It is not up to the ANC or the DA or the IFP or the ID or COPE to save the country from greed and corruption, it's up to each and every one of the people in this country, and step one is:
- Take off your blindfold, and point your fingers at the obviously corrupt, and do not give them power.

Sidenote: The mentality of so many people in this country really is challenging!

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
stupid article. Pointless. Everyone knows what the score is... and if you don't you have been living under a rock. There is nothing wrong with the DA highlighting this. It is a credible threat that needs to be pointed out. And if you are one of the whiny cry-babies who agrees with this drivel, then I have a picture of you...

cBoo_hoo.jpg

Serqet

Expert Member
Yea i'm also interested in hearing what the DA's reply to your email was TonyHawk.

I agree with chiskop. I also feel that their Zuma campaign is only really received with DA Voters and not enticing enough to people who are voting for the first time or don't usually vote DA.

For example this is my first election. I don't feel DA has really reached me via main stream media. I have read the policies yet to be honest majority of the political parties websites all say the same thing. It's all very 'fluffed'. Perhaps i am at fault as i should have maybe attended a rallly or two. So what does a person in my position do? We are 4 days away from the election and while i'm 90% sure i'll vote DA. There's another part of me that just isn't sure.

If anyone is interested there is an online questionaire on www.mg.co.za for anyone who is still undecided as to who to vote for. It asks you a series of questions and includes the different policies from all the parties. It then sums up at the end who you should vote for.

I tried that and i found that i chose more COPE policies than i did DA. *sigh*